Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,755 times

Advertisements

My husband has applied for a job and I will be going to school. If all goes to plan, after my degree we will be going into the bush to teach. So is it possible to live in Anchorage for about three years without a car? Is the public transportation reliable and available? We will already be on limited funds and I hate having a car anyway.

Also, I have just skimmed the classifieds in preparation and it seems housing is hard to find if we have pets. Is it really that hard to find a place to live if we have a St. Bernard and a Bloodhound? They are both good doggies and I have read up on the leash laws and we know our responsibilities. My husband spent 19 years of his life in Alaska so he knows a little more than me what to expect but some things have changed it seems, including rental prices. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,708,933 times
??? Giant dogs and no cars???

Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 10,755 times
They love to walk.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:57 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,414,739 times
It's going to be fairly hard to find a place that will take two large dogs. But it's possible just have to search good and hard. I would venture to say the People Mover is a reliable source of transportation, a great deal of folks rely on them to get them back and forth to work, just make sure to check your route.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM

154 posts, read 154,658 times
I lived in Anchorage from 2004-2005. I went to UAA and worked at the Brewhouse Restaurant. I lived on W 14th AVE near the green belt, behind a large park, great bike commute in Midtown. If you can afford it - Rabbit Creek or up on the hill in the mansions overlooking the city.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,807,688 times
"Anchorage - Can we live without a car? "

sure you can....

Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM

374 posts, read 1,126,638 times
I did it for a year- rose the bus to work, school, etc. It was tough in the winter when there was lots of snow- but possible. It was also hard going to the grocery store! It is definitely something that can be done. South Anchorage to North Anchorage is harder, takes more time, but if you live in Midtown, getting to the University would be easy. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:42 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,386,108 times
It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. I couldn't do it myself, especially in the winter. Why not get a $1000 car?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM

7,522 posts, read 5,768,086 times
Yes you "could" No I wouldn't.. The idea of being trapped in the city for 3 years with no way to get to those mountains you will see everyday and enjoy what they have to offer would be worse than water boarding to me. Then again that is me..

Your going to be in, without a doubt, the most beautiful place in the world and feel like your looking at it from the inside of a cage with no key to the lock...

Here are a couple of things you will miss in the 3 years..

"The High One" Denali taken from about 40 miles out on the Parks Highway.

This is a section entering Hatchers Pass from the Palmer side...

Of course this needs no explanation! The start of the Iditarod in Willow..

These guys are the real athlete's in this race...

Last edited by Crossfire600; 04-25-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM

88 posts, read 207,617 times
I haven't driven in 26 years...granted, we just got here to AK...but I've biked, walked, or taken busses to where I needed to be whenever my husband was tdy (which has been alot...about 6+ years out of 15!!!) & neither myself or our 7 kids have suffered! They are all healthy & can walk MILES w/o tiring!
The only problem I see here in AK w/o a vehicle are the bears & moose. Honestly...groceries are easy to haul in a wagon, cart or on a sled in the winter! ((Been there, done that!)) A snowmobile ((or snowmachine as these Alaskans call 'em!)) would be a great addition during winter months when you couldn't bike! ((Though I've seen PLENTY of folks still riding their bikes in the winter too...?))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage