Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 19,750 times

Advertisements

I am 25 years old and thinking of takeing a TSA posstion in Anchorage Alaska i am i just want to know what is it like to live there
I am form Nevada currently in Texas for schooling. I know it will be cold.

I would like to know is there alot to do in Anchorage or do people mainly stay inside.
Is the internet fast there or is it alright.
What is the best cell phone porivider.
How is rent i am looking for a studio or a 1 Bedrood 1 bath room apartment.
how much does a used car cost that runs in Alaska.
How much would uitlites cost there.
How much does food cost.

Thank you very much for answering my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
Read some of the recent threads on this forum... A lot of your questions have been asked and answered...

To get an idea of prices, check out Craigslist: craigslist: anchorage / mat-su classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

For rent figure $800 to $1,100 in rent. A decent used car can run $2000 to $6000 or more, depending on what you want. Personally I would plan for $4000. But two years ago I bought a minivan for $2000 and it's still running.
We have AT&T, GCI, and ACS for cell phones.
Internet speeds aren't great compared to the lower 48, but they work.
Food cost are higher. Gas is higher.
There's lots to do outside if you are willing to get out and do it.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:46 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Does anyone ever wonder why Alaskans won't take the TSA jobs?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
One thing to note about Alaska Internet, it is not unlimited upload/download. You have monthly limits, it is slow and it is overpriced.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 AM

287 posts, read 598,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantide1 View Post
I am 25 years old and thinking of takeing a TSA posstion in Anchorage Alaska i am i just want to know what is it like to live there
I am form Nevada currently in Texas for schooling. I know it will be cold.

I would like to know is there alot to do in Anchorage or do people mainly stay inside.
Is the internet fast there or is it alright.
What is the best cell phone porivider.
How is rent i am looking for a studio or a 1 Bedrood 1 bath room apartment.
how much does a used car cost that runs in Alaska.
How much would uitlites cost there.
How much does food cost.

Thank you very much for answering my questions.
Why do you want to move to Alaska? It really sounds like you have never been... Maybe you should go there before you commit and move there...

before you end up being another person that moved there and can't stand it and can't wait to move out...

If you are not the "outdoorsy" type, you'll probably hate it... Nevada is not known for "hard" winters and neither is Texas... so I doubt you know what it's like when the temp doesn't get above zero for a week at a time...

Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
TSA isn't hiring in Texas?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM

275 posts, read 579,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
TSA isn't hiring in Texas?
Looking at USAJOBS, there are currently only part-time TSA positions listed in Texas, while Alaska is showing several permanent, full-time positions.

I think some of the attraction could be the locality pay of 24.69% and COLA pay of 5.57% for a federal position in Anchorage with a total salary range between $33,590.00 to $50,386.00 a year (according to the job announcement)

Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM

275 posts, read 579,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
Why do you want to move to Alaska? It really sounds like you have never been... Maybe you should go there before you commit and move there...
That should always be one of the first questions one asks themselves before coming to Alaska. If you've got an open mind, moving to Alaska to take stable employment without having been here isn't always a bad thing. Still, one does have to have a plan. Coming up here with no job and dreams of living the "Northern Exposure" life isn't realistic. I think all these "Alaska" TV shows put a lot of nonsense in folks heads that isn't consistent with reality.

Quote:
If you are not the "outdoorsy" type, you'll probably hate it... Nevada is not known for "hard" winters and neither is Texas... so I doubt you know what it's like when the temp doesn't get above zero for a week at a time...
Conversely, Alaska isn't known for brutal summers either. If someone posted that they wanted to move from Anchorage to Las Vegas, I wonder if they would be told to they won't know what it's like when it gets over 100?

When I was asked to take a position in 1993 that required a relocation from Tampa to Fairbanks, I didn't have any experience with really cold weather. However, I always figure life is an adventure, so I took the job. My wife, daughter, and I absolutely loved being there.

In my opinion, if one were taking one of those TSA positions in Anchorage, the weather isn't that brutal here. It gets cold and it snows in the winter and the winter is a bit longer. I found living in Boston or the time I got stuck in a blizzard in Chicago much more unbearable. Cold, biting wind, the entire area coming to a standstill, and the sheer amount of morons who can't drive on wet, let alone icy pavement, I'll take Anchorage and it's weather over that anytime.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 PM

287 posts, read 598,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
That should always be one of the first questions one asks themselves before coming to Alaska. If you've got an open mind, moving to Alaska to take stable employment without having been here isn't always a bad thing. Still, one does have to have a plan. Coming up here with no job and dreams of living the "Northern Exposure" life isn't realistic. I think all these "Alaska" TV shows put a lot of nonsense in folks heads that isn't consistent with reality.
Which is hilarious because Northern Exposure was filmed in Washington... and most of the films claiming AK were most likely filmed in Canada...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
Looking at USAJOBS, there are currently only part-time TSA positions listed in Texas, while Alaska is showing several permanent, full-time positions.

I think some of the attraction could be the locality pay of 24.69% and COLA pay of 5.57% for a federal position in Anchorage with a total salary range between $33,590.00 to $50,386.00 a year (according to the job announcement)

If you're single that would be an okay starting pay but it's not anything to jump up and down about. For just a decent 1 bedroom apartment in Anchorage you're going to pay $800 a month. That's $9600 a year. A big chunk of change just for basic housing. Add in cable, internet, cell phone and electricity and it's even more. I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage