Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
Look at the cities -- doesn't really jive. Pine Bluff, AK was number 1? What about Saginaw, MI at #3? Never even heard of those places!
That's Pine Bluff, AR. But I was thinking the same thing! Pine Bluff, Saginaw, Florence--it's quite odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 10:01 AM

103 posts, read 233,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
Look at the cities -- doesn't really jive. Pine Bluff, AK was number 1? What about Saginaw, MI at #3? Never even heard of those places! And SF NOT on the list? There are many smaller places listed -- including small suburbs of larger cities. Just don't know how they got their numbers. Not disagreeing that we don't have crime, but honestly it really doesn't seem that bad to be that high in the list -- up there with Miami. I've lived here for 35 years and have never been a crime victim -- and I've lived all over this city.

ETA: OK, I just remembered I did have my purse stolen out of my grocery shopping cart 12 years ago. Still not bad for 35 years.
Pine Bluff, Arkansas, that is. I've heard of Saginaw, Michigan - a C/W song was made about it many, many years ago.

The places in the front may also have had recent problems associated with the economy - people out of work, then they steal, rob, whatever.

Las Vegas has certainly had its problems with the foreclosures lately.

Statistics like this don't bother me much. You could go live in Idaho where a former work associate moved with her husband and although he has an accounting business (and does it on line) they don't have new clients and she is having trouble finding work as a CPA herself. She said it is really bad there economically.

At my age (mid 40s now, pushing 50), I'm going to reinvent myself and continue my work in taxation and getting into insurance, too. I sort of gave up looking for work with these corporations anywhere, including "safe" Omaha, and would rather live somewhere where I can enjoy the outdoors, the hiking, and trails, history, etc, the weather, then live in a different place that according to a list is "safe" yet there is nothing to do.

I left ABQ a few months ago, and will return in five months. I do wish I could do it sooner, and it could happen, too. I didn't encounter crime problems in ABQ either; I know they exist, but I can deal with it.

And, Omaha had a mass murder incident just two years ago - at a department store where I kid teen went in, shot and killed 8 persons, and then killed himself. And, there is crime here on a daily basis, too. Some cities just get more "bragged" about than others.

Like the previous posts have stated: good, it will keep many out and then there will be more for us instead.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:59 PM

9 posts, read 26,004 times
But isn't it fair to say that the crime is fairly concentrated in a few areas of town? How big a problem are the gangs, murders, home invasions, and so on if you live east of Tramway in the NE quadrant?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid
... bad apples that have a high rate of recidivism, coupled with weak laws and a sorry justice system.
When I first parsed this, I read

high rate of recidivism, coupled with a leaky justice system.

Leaky justice system. Yeah. That's it.
They get arrested and "leak" back into society and do it all over again.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:31 PM

238 posts, read 634,662 times
Thumbs up Leaky Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

When I first parsed this, I read

high rate of recidivism, coupled with a leaky justice system.

Leaky justice system. Yeah. That's it.
They get arrested and "leak" back into society and do it all over again.

Very good, sir. And I'd like to clarify that it's not just an Albuquerque thing, as this happens all over our great country. Not only do they 'leak' back into society, they also get a nice chance to murder citizens and police, as was the case with the psycho that killed the four cops near Seattle yesterday.

It's always good to know the politicians have the best interests of the American public at heart.

--BtK

Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Very good, sir. And I'd like to clarify that it's not just an Albuquerque thing, as this happens all over our great country. Not only do they 'leak' back into society, they also get a nice chance to murder citizens and police, as was the case with the psycho that killed the four cops near Seattle yesterday.

It's always good to know the politicians have the best interests of the American public at heart.

--BtK
And about ABQ crime always brought up by many others - only dogging the city.

Were there ever any cop ambushes you can remember in ABQ, to where I'm returning shortly, after a few months back in the lack of culture Midwest?

This is a violent crime, and that occurred in a small city 10 miles from Tacoma, WA.

It also happened in Minneapolis about 20 years ago or longer, with a cop in a pizza joint.

But, I've never heard it happening in ABQ.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM

238 posts, read 634,662 times
Unhappy R.i.p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Vistas View Post

And about ABQ crime always brought up by many others - only dogging the city.

Were there ever any cop ambushes you can remember in ABQ, to where I'm returning shortly, after a few months back in the lack of culture Midwest?

This is a violent crime, and that occurred in a small city 10 miles from Tacoma, WA.

It also happened in Minneapolis about 20 years ago or longer, with a cop in a pizza joint.

But, I've never heard it happening in ABQ.

ABQ Police Officer Richard Smith

ABQ Police Officer Michael King

ABQ Police Officer Eugene Cline

ABQ Officer Kenneth Shawn McWethy

May they all Rest In Peace.

--BtK

Old 12-01-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Thank you. I read these profiles, but they were killed while on a chase, capturing a suspect, or similar.

I'm referring to cops being killed execution style, while sitting at a table, looking at paperwork - ambushed style.

Cops get killed as above all the time, sadly enough. But, this weekend's case if four cops being killed while not on a call, having a morning cup of coffee.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Vistas
Thank you. I read these profiles, but they were killed
while on a chase, capturing a suspect, or similar.
Sure, but were the cops killed by someone released from
prison early because they were deemed to no longer be
a threat to society? ( by some overpaid expert? )

( Or pardoned by a gov? )

Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Vistas View Post
Thank you. I read these profiles, but they were killed while on a chase, capturing a suspect, or similar.

I'm referring to cops being killed execution style, while sitting at a table, looking at paperwork - ambushed style.

Cops get killed as above all the time, sadly enough. But, this weekend's case if four cops being killed while not on a call, having a morning cup of coffee.

it dosent matter if a cop was killed while drinking coffee or on a chase, its still a dead cop that was murdered by the hands of a criminal.

and you cant use isolated incidents as proof of crime, mass shootings can happen anywhere at any time, its not part of the everyday culture or crime. A school shooting could happen in safe as can be Malibu by some mental person and that could be the only murders for a decade there, but it is not expected like burglary,robberies,every day type murders,rapes blah blah blah, Im just trying to make a point.

what about the infant that was shot today, thats a rare type of murder so its not like we should hide our babies or expect that to happen on a regualar basis.

here's another cop that was killed a couple years ago-[SIZE=4]Sheriff's Deputy James McGrane[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque