Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM

21 posts, read 37,960 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of the NW neighborhood because I like the clean, modern look (but hate the dirt). I love the neighborhoods behind Cibola High, right off of 7 Bar Loop and Coors Bypass. I'm also a huge fan of my own neighborhood area off McMahon and Unser.. the Los Suenos, Park Hill, and Saltillo subdivisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 02:27 PM

105 posts, read 212,367 times
Eubank and Academy, my favorite part of the city. Very clean and green.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 AM

I actually found my new favorite part of town. In some area's of Downtown, you will find Victorian houses from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Very cool.

I want one!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM

350 posts, read 769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-ly View Post
I actually found my new favorite part of town. In some area's of Downtown, you will find Victorian houses from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Very cool.

I want one!
There are some really great Victorian-era homes up in the EDO/Huning Highlands area - lots of history. Also some amazing Victorian homes in the neighborhoods between Central and Mountain. I love that style.

And then there are all those mansions in the Huning Castle neighborhood - they're pretty spectacular. Not Victorian per say, but cool.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
There are some really great Victorian-era homes up in the EDO/Huning Highlands area - lots of history. Also some amazing Victorian homes in the neighborhoods between Central and Mountain. I love that style.

And then there are all those mansions in the Huning Castle neighborhood - they're pretty spectacular. Not Victorian per say, but cool.

I saw them, they are really nice. The one's people take care of. Some people like to ruin them with stucco and rod-iron. Gross!!
I'm going to have to go check them out again, including the one's near Mountain.

And, those mansions are nice. I like the more historical feel.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,893 times
Anyone else have some good words about the parts of Albuquerque that they really like? In my own researching online, it looks like that Rio Rancho is probably going to work out the best for us at least until we're in Albuquerque a year or so and know more. I have looked at houses for sale and amazingly they are more affordable than what the rent amounts that I'm looking at for the same kind of house.... 3/2 fenced backyard/2car garage, etc. Since we have a labrador that loves the back yard; the backyards filled with gravel don't work for us.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 PM

I say since most property values are low we rush in and buy the out and restore the historic areas.

The city needs to do something, that place is turning into a little Mexico. Or at least come up with a way to reduce and stop crime.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 PM

34 posts, read 157,277 times
@ABQ Alex: I am only a 6 month resident of Albuquerque, 18 month resident of NM: I have, out of curiosity, tried to figure out via the GIS maps and whatever else I could google which neighborhood I live in. I live on New York Ave SW between Clayton and Central (it arches around and intersects New York on the West end of New York). Just curious.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,632,123 times
That is in what's most commonly referred to as the Country Club area. The Country Club area includes the neighborhoods of Huning Castle and the Raynolds Addition. Your house is most likely within the boundaries of the Huning Castle Neighborhood as the Raynolds Addition is more to the south and east of the actual Albuquerque Country Club.

The Huning Castle Neighborhood takes its name from Castle Huning, which was the grand old home and farm of one of New Albuquerque's founders, Franz Huning. He along with Elias Stover, and William Hazeldine bought land east of Old Town and convinced the Santa Fe Railroad to locate their shops and a depot in this new area which became known as New Albuquerque or "New Town". It is today's Downtown Albuquerque. Ironically, Old Town Albuquerque wasn't annexed into the City of Albuquerque until 1949.

New York Avenue in that area is the last remaining remnant of the old New York Avenue which is now Lomas Boulevard through Downtown. BTW, Central Avenue used to be called Railroad Avenue.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 PM

34 posts, read 157,277 times
@ABQalex: Wow, that is interesting! Thank you for the info and glimpse at the area's rich history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque