Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times

Advertisements

I am trying to wrap my mind around what makes the economy in Albuquerque and the state of New Mexico tick. We are at the end of 2011 going into 2012 and looking at charts for 2011 the city and state have unemployment percentages fairly well below the national average.

-The city/metro of Albuquerque hovered around 7%, http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.nm_albuquerque_msa.htm
-Santa Fe around 5-6%, http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.nm_santafe_msa.htm
-The state of New Mexico between 6-7%. New Mexico registered the largest jobless rate decrease since November 2010 (http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm).
-While nationally it's around 9% which a marginal drop in the last quarter of the year http://www.bls.gov/cps/

There are many components I realize. Big players like Intel in Rio Rancho, and a heavyweight being government tied to Sandia Labs/Los Alamos/Kirtland AFB and little components like the film industry. I wonder how secure the government jobs are with the deficit. How are the service industries doing? Will state government jobs be rolled back? Will there be any growth industries? Energy perhaps (solar/wind/natural gas extraction)?

I've seen tid bits and inquiries regarding the economy and jobs for Albuquerque and New Mexico on here but wanted to have a common thread to build on and keep a discussion going. I realize that in comparison to growth in Arizona and Nevada that New Mexico is much more stable as the real estate bubble did not inflate quite as bad, though there are big plans (in progress or stalling?) on the horizon like Mesa del Sol. How do you feel about growth projections and the economy in the city and the state? I realize it may be difficult to make concrete predictions but how do you feel its doing presently and where is it heading?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-29-2011 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM

On a side note what inspired me to create this thread was this one: If cities were stocks...A lot of discussion regarding the phenominal growth in Washington DC recently and some forecasting the bubble bursting within the next 2-3 years. Some food for thought. So what if Albuquerque were a stock option?

Also Albuquerque is ranked 19 within the top quintile of economic security of the top 100 MSA's in the country (http://datatools.metrotrends.org/cha...es/rankMap.cfm) - (MetroTrends: Economic security of the 100 largest MSAs)

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-29-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 05:02 PM

78 posts, read 196,138 times
While I have not read this report, rating that high is puzzling since apparently Albq has added no new jobs at all in the past year. I don't understand how that situation translates to economic security.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglore View Post
While I have not read this report, rating that high is puzzling since apparently Albq has added no new jobs at all in the past year. I don't understand how that situation translates to economic security.
The site indicates it is focused on "how much economic security they (each metro area) offer families in these tough times." The rankings reflect erosion in house values, current unemployment, purchasing power of a low-wage job (also labeled as housing unaffordability), and the rate of serious mortgage delinquencies.

Not a report but a map with rankings for the top 100 metros in the country. Doesn't take hardly any time to look at.

Thanks, caphillsea77, very interesting site. Most of the top ranked metros are in the midwest, which makes intuitive sense given their economic underpinnings. Also looks like the most significant differentiator between the metors is erosion of house values. So ABQ's ranking reflects, among other stats, that our housing prices haven't eroded nearly as much as in many other metros.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 AM

78 posts, read 196,138 times
Got it. Now if Albq. can start adding jobs it will be sitting in a pretty nice spot - had no idea the west coast was still in such bad shape.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 PM

So I guess the best way to describe the economy there is not exactly thriving or booming (like North Dakota) but not struggling too bad either (like Las Vegas). Stable, perhaps. I'm just wondering at the very least if it can maintain the relatively low number over the next few years. But I guess that depends on the condition of the national economy which is very unpredictable at this point, so I digress.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,834 times
I can't say for sure about the jobs market, but the housing market appears to be stabilizing somewhat, although I don't think we will see any sort of housing boom like we witnessed in ABQ between 2000-2007 (and even ABQ growth was tempered compared to places such as Vegas).

That said, Mesa Del Sol has just resumed its housing development. I'm thinking though that Mesa Del Sol will absorb much of the new-housing growth over the next 10 years, meaning I don't expect much more sprawl (compared to the last 10 years) on the west/northwest sides anytime soon. I would however, expect to see an apartment building boom at some point, as much of the country is seeing now.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,582 times
Reported on the Radio that NM (ie..Albuquerque) had a positive increase in Jobs last year. Modest but positive . Had been 3 years of negative job losses.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 AM

96 posts, read 210,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I am trying to wrap my mind around what makes the economy in Albuquerque and the state of New Mexico tick.
Two words: government spending. For every $1.00 you pay in federal income tax, $2.18 cents come back to NM. No other state comes close.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcd View Post
Two words: government spending. For every $1.00 you pay in federal income tax, $2.18 cents come back to NM. No other state comes close.
Not quite accurate.

According to last August's economist, NM receives $2.73 per dollar taxed. Puerto Rico receives $3.47, and West Virginia receives $2.51 (requires you to do a little math based on the chart's numbers).

Note the correlation between red states and blue states and the attached graph. Seems both political parties tend to achieve results counter to their reputations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque