Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM

28 posts, read 80,652 times

Advertisements

My better half and I are planning to move to Albuquerque in a few years. We are from Chicago but have been living in a rural area in northwestern Illinois for a few years with virtually no neighbors, noise or lights. Its a long story. It's very nice but utilities and taxes are kickin, besides I need more stimulation that cows, sheep and the weather report. I do miss Chicago but I don't miss the noise, congestion, crime, well, you get the point. So we are looking for a happy medium. We enjoy the quiet country with no neighbors on top of us but its gettin old having to get into the car a drive at least 20 minutes to get to anywhere. Gettin tired of the humid summers and snowy, long, cold winters. We miss the quick coffee at Starbucks, or the good Mexican eatery around the corner, or the book store down the street. Now that I've told my sob story, anybody got a suggestion of a wonderful old neighborhood that we could take a look at. By the way I hate the new construction where the garage looks more important than the front door. I'm lookin for old trees, shady streets, not sittin on top of the guy next door, and walking distance to a coffee shop. $350.000 is the limit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
I think you really need to visit Albuquerque to truly appreciate what it has and what it does not have and possibly of other surrounding areas.

Rich

Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,033,627 times
I wouldnt really say there are beautiful neighborhoods in ABQ, there are some nice cute neighborhoods though around the Nob Hill area and the University, also in the far NE heights,close to the mountain.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 AM

581 posts, read 1,173,089 times
raynolds addition, or nob hill would be good choices.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,472,297 times
There are possibilities all along the valley,plus there are some cool places @ downtown/country club area.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,744,014 times
Four Hills and there is a Starbucks between Four Hills and the Freeway

Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,426,699 times
Can I ask why you've chosen Albuquerque without seeming to know where these neighborhoods are? Have you been out here before?

Nob Hill is a nice older neighborhood with trees, coffee shops, and a used bookstore. Cottonwood trees line the valley areas, if you don't mind the cotton puffs they put out which can be a nuisance in the spring. There is a really nice bookstore and coffeeshop/restaurant at Rio Grande Blvd. and Griegos (Bookworks and Flying Star), you can probably find houses for sale within walking distance but these residential areas are not dense enough to support a coffeeshop and bookstore every few blocks. Given the way the bookstore business is nowadays (here today, gone tomorrow) I wouldn't make that a factor in where I buy a house.

Some areas of downtown and Old Town might meet your criteria for trees (12th St. area) and coffee, but you might end up walking a long way before you find a decent bookstore. There is the library, though.

The ugly yawning garage thing is only a factor in neighborhoods ca. 1980s-

Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 AM

108 posts, read 264,755 times
spruce park...although you might be priced out

Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM

923 posts, read 2,420,670 times
Based on the OP's desired wants, I would say to check out the north valley area north of Alameda and west of Rio Grande. It may be pricey, but there may be deals to be had. It's like being in the country but a 3 min. drive to city amenities.

My other suggestion is to look into the village of Corrales. Again it's pricey, but there are deals out there if you are willing to spend some time looking. Country feel, tall cottonwoods, larger plots of property, dirt roads, and it sits along the Rio Grande so it is pretty green with lots of vegetation. Another "country" place but only a few minutes drive all of the stores and shopping areas.

One other older pretty neighborhood where homes are not on top of each other would be the Ridgecrest Area.

Use google earth to check out these areas. You can literally go down the streets and see the views for yourself.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM

17 posts, read 25,241 times
Nob hill has nice, cute, safe, and family oriented neighborhoods. Another plus to it is that you can get a back yard!

Some of the views you can get from your house are nice.

ps:Go to satellite coffee. Similar feel to Starbucks, but better coffee!
The east foothills hve some fancier options, and the veiws you can get there are even better!

Here are the general price ranges:
nob hill, 150,000-350,000
East foothills:
200,000-450,000.
Good luck searching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque