Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:21 PM

52 posts, read 104,144 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque doesn't have suburbs in the way that you are used to in SoCal. We moved here from the midwest and live in the Far NE Heights of Albuquerque, which although is ABQ proper is more "suburban" of a feel with higher performing schools in the APS district. Rio Rancho would be a farther out "suburb." We looked there, but decided against it because their schools are growing too quickly and they do not have the space, money or resources to keep up with it (i.e. they will not hire substitute teachers in order to save $ - they put the kids of the absent teacher in other classrooms, making sure all the classes are out of sorts for that day) The commute from the west side of town to the east side of town (where many work) can be long in the morning, because of the shortage of bridges over the Rio Grande. God forbid there is an accident on the way. On the plus side, houses are newer and cheaper, but the negatives outweighed the positives in our minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,071,852 times
The traffic is not that bad. I live in Paradise Hills(far NW part of town) and work in downtown. It takes be 20-25 minutes most day to get to work.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 PM

75 posts, read 200,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdudesdad View Post
Thanks everyone. This gives me a good place to start.

We are a miltary family that moved here in ABQ 2 years ago. We still live on base, BUT, if we want to move our choices would be

(1) in the Rio Rancho area. Please stay clear of APS schools if you can. My kids attend charter schools because APS is such a huge disappointment to us.

(2) Tramway area. Beautiful view. You can go hiking and biking with your family. The neighborhoods are quieter and nicer (but can also be a bit more expensive).

I hope that helps! Goodluck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque