Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

I would like to open up a dialogue on the neighborhoods of Albuquerque. Let's discuss either the neighborhood you live in, or your favorite neighborhood in Albuquerque. Neighborhoods you don't care for, or like to visit but would rather not live in are also open for discussion. Discuss the demographics, safety/crime rates, scenery, stores and restaurants, suburban neighborhoods or eclectic neighborhoods. I would like for this thread to become a discussion to get to know the Duke City better from NE Heights, Rio Rancho, Nob Hill, South Valley and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM

When visiting Albuquerque my favorite residential neighborhoods were the ones along Tramway. Very attractive and clean, I love the bike baths and trail access into the Sandias. It's definitely one of the most beautiful suburban neighborhoods I've seen.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
There are so many great ones, and so much variety, it's hard to choose.

I like the shady neighborhoods maybe a little more than the deserty foothills. I enjoy biking and jogging (I shun the gym) and appreciate some shade while I work out. Here's a scene from one of the jogging routes in my neighborhood (Loma Linda Place, Southeast ABQ). I find the area very tranquil yet close to Nob Hill and UNM.

I also love North Valley areas, near the acequias, which provide miles and miles of great walking or jogging and lots of trees, and easy access to the Bosque bike trail (Teodoro Rd. NW).

Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
There are so many great ones, and so much variety, it's hard to choose.

I like the shady neighborhoods maybe a little more than the deserty foothills. I enjoy biking and jogging (I shun the gym) and appreciate some shade while I work out. Here's a scene from one of the jogging routes in my neighborhood (Loma Linda Place, Southeast ABQ). I find the area very tranquil yet close to Nob Hill and UNM.

I also love North Valley areas, near the acequias, which provide miles and miles of great walking or jogging and lots of trees, and easy access to the Bosque bike trail (Teodoro Rd. NW).
I do appreciate the Bosque and mature growth vegetation in some ABQ neighborhoods. I only got to see the usual neighborhoods that a common tourist would see along Central Ave between Rio Grande and Carlisle (Old Town/Downtown/Nob Hill), and also took a drive up Tramway. I guess I appreciated Tramway as it is so different from any neighborhood I'm use to back east.

I spent my trip exploring all over NM, but I really like what I saw in ABQ. So I am curious what else is good in the area. Rio Rancho didn't leave much of an impression on me as it seemed like Phoenix lite to me. Good for raising kids I suppose but pretty vanilla otherwise.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:09 PM

96 posts, read 289,923 times
I'll make a plug for the area along Mountain Rd between Old Town and Downtown. I lived near 12th and Mountain and loved being a short, easy bike ride to downtown, Old Town or the trails on the Rio Grande. My husband used to bike to UNM in 10-15 minutes. This area has recently seen some beautification and you can still find a good deal if you're looking for a house. It's much less expensive than Nob Hill or the North Valley, but it's got a lot of potential. The crown jewel of the neighborhood would have to be the Golden Crown Panaderia. I miss picking up a pizza there and taking it to Marble or Chama River tap room for beers. Another highlight is the Carnuel Parade which happens in the spring and runs along Mountain from Wells Park to Old Town. And although many will scoff at me for shopping there, I loved being able to walk or ride to Lowes for quick groceries and the cheapest rotisserie chickens in town.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,983 times
^ I also love that neighborhood, as well as many of the other neighborhoods near old town.

In general I really like the older historic areas near the river, particularly in the North Valley along Rio Grande Blvd. Such magnificent old trees and alot of character. The South Valley is interesting for a drive and I appreciate the traditional New Mexican feel of this area. I live further east - just south of the university (near CNM) and the neighborhoods are really varied - but my favorite University area neighborhood is hyder park - beautiful older homes, close to many amenities etc. Alot of folks really like Ridgecrest, but the homes are just too large and it sometimes doesn't feel like New Mexico to me. Still, it's a beautiful area.

If I were to live in the suburbs, both Four Hills and and the area near the Tram are really pretty.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 AM

30 posts, read 55,583 times
When I lived In ABQ I lived in Northeast Heights near Candelaria and Eubank. I loved the convenience of the area, feeling of safety, close to shopping, near the hiking trails just to the east, etc. It's a nicely maintained area of homes built in the 50's and 60's. I haven't been back since I left in 2007, I miss it very much!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
My ultimate neighborhood to live in would be in High Desert, right up against the Open Space.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM

350 posts, read 768,844 times
Barelas has been a really fun neighborhood to live in since its revitalization. Lots of young people, artists and families are in the area now. With a builder finally chosen, the railyard project will hopefully make this part of town very desirable within the next 10 years. Properties are still very affordable, and I see a new home rehabilitation project underway virtually each month. Should be some great spots available in the near future.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM

50 posts, read 148,721 times
We bought a town home on Spanish Sun, located at Montgomery and San Mateo. It's a quiet area, and has alot of resteraunts/shops within walking distance. Everything is a 5 min drive away and my work is only 5 miles away. It's an awesome area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque