Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 24,002 times

Advertisements

My husband has just been offered a job with SandiaNL, and we must be in Albuquerque in 6 weeks! We are very excited to move to that area but eventhough I had already been looking at homes for months I still haven't gotten a clear picture of where we should be, please help us!!
Let me tell you a little bit of what we like. Larger lots because we have big dogs, don't really like the "suburb look" where houses all look the same and too close together. We have a baby on the way, so safe parks and such things are important. We also come from a very small town and HATE traffic, I have been reading that the commute from the West side is a pain... We like the mountains and trees. We are looking to spend around $250,000.
Where do we go???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM

116 posts, read 472,061 times
Check out Taylor Ranch. Yes, it is on the west side but has what you're looking for in your budget. We bought our first home in Albuq in Taylor ranch and loved it. Large lots, ours was too big! Safe area great schools and parks, and within your budget easily. I would have also suggested Ventana Ranch area for your requirements but it is a newer s/d, the lots arent as big as the landscaping not as mature as taylor Ranch. Might be worth a look though.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,614,422 times
I use to live in Albuquerque. I can't help but laugh at people thinking it's a pain to go from the west side of abq to the se side. Come to DC & then we can talk about traffic!

I second Taylor Ranch. A lot of people are drawn to it because the landscaping & trees are more mature.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,719,211 times
Some areas I might consider looking if I were you:

Some nicer, more-eastern Southeast Heights areas (not the "conventional Southeast" eg: around Gibson Blvd. / the Sunport)...to me, a "no brainer" for you to start looking in is the FOUR HILLS area. (Do a google search for "Four Hills" - Albuquerque) and stuff'll pop up, including a realty guide for houses in the neighborhood.

This is an oft-forgotten about area in these forums which is rather affluent, safe, quiet, nice. It is older and more established, so it isn't cookie cutter and the lots are bigger. It is close up to the mountains.

Really, I think for your criteria, it would be your best bet. You can still find houses in the area for your $250K range.

The other nice thing about this is that being in the extreme SE, you aren't a far drive at all from SNL. While Taylor Ranch (above mentioned) is very nice, and it is true that ABQ doesn't have traffic comparable to big metroplexes like DC, Chicago, or Phoenix, it'd still be a 30+ minute one-way drive for you in traffic. From Four Hills, probably 10 tops, and probably even less often.

If Four Hills wouldn't work out, check out other areas east of Juan Tabo and/or Tramway Blvd. and south of I-40. Close to the mountains, nice safe older neighborhoods, close to the labs, definitely not cookie-cutterish.

I think if you stuck in this general vicinity, it would be the best match for your criteria listed. Good luck!!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 AM

51 posts, read 200,547 times
I agree that in your price range and home requirements, Taylor Ranch would be an excellent choice. That's where we lived before we moved away in 2002 and it was a great area for our dogs and kids.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I suggest you ask the SNL housing office for some info on rental property and take some time to investigate the market and teh city before you commit to buy.

A job at SNL - envy time.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,927 times
I wouldn't rule out the NE Heights either - one of our neighbors works at Sandia Labs.

There are parts of the heights that are not cookie-cutterish at all, and some of those homes have over-sized lots. That's one of the reasons we bought our house.

I've seen several of these homes recently list and/or sell in the 230-235K range. The schools up in the Heights are top-notch.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:32 PM

"I use to live in Albuquerque. I can't help but laugh at people thinking it's a pain to go from the west side of abq to the se side. Come to DC & then we can talk about traffic"

I never said I know nothing about traffic. You think DC has traffic try Sao Paulo, Brazil where I am from. 19 million and poor planning. Anyways, just thought I would clarify that I understand the difference just dont dont want to deal with it at all.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM

"I suggest you ask the SNL housing office for some info on rental property and take some time to investigate the market and teh city before you commit to buy."

That's not really an option. Rentals dont take two Saint Bernards and that's what we have!!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:06 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,087,584 times
BrazilianSue warns:

> ... Rentals dont take two Saint Bernards and that's what we have!!

Might I suggest horse property then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque