Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,135,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Greece and Rome are not your heritage if your ancestors are indigenous to Northern Europe.

Just as the indigenous people(given their is no European admixture) throughout the Americas can't claim Latin/European heritage.(though they've adopted Latin/European customs/culture)

Just as people indigenous to Africa(given their is no European admixture) in the Americas can't claim Latin/European heritage.(though they've adopted Latin/European customs/culture)
Yes they are. Greek and Latin learning formed the basis of Western civilization. they are indispensable to the West in a way that Egypt is not indispensable to Africa.

Really, it is obvious that you have never read any real history.

Wow. Almost seventy pages of no one claiming Egypt.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
No one said or implied that Greco Roman culture had no influence on the later development of Northern European culture. What I did say was that it was through cultural assimilation. This can't be refuted. Those Northern European tribes had their own customs/language that had nothing to do with the foundations of Greco Roman culture/concepts. You've basically been saying what I've been saying for the last 3-4 pages.
It is completely irrelevant. It is simply not what we have been talking about for the 60 pages before you got here.

And please, please, start putting all of your choppy, broken, superficial thought in one post.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 PM

592 posts, read 596,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Yes they are. Greek and Latin learning formed the basis of Western civilization. they are indispensable to the West in a way that Egypt is not indispensable to Africa.

Really, it is obvious that you have never read any real history.

Wow. Almost seventy pages of no one claiming Egypt.
Like I stated earlier. You never had a logical premise with this thread to begin with. It's obvious it's you that has no clue of history and can't even distiquish between the concepts of cultural assimilation and conception. Now you're suggesting Indigenous Native and African people(In the Americas) have European heritage? Barring any European admixture, their ethnic background/customs/culture are not indigenous to Europe. That's clear. To suggest otherwise would be asinine.
The Northern European tribes merely adopted customs not indigenous to their own. Their is no refuting this.

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-10-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,425,076 times
From my experience, those black people in America who are trying to relate themselves to Egypt, are a minute, insignificant segment of the whole, virtually unnoticeable except in small, almost invisible circles.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 PM

592 posts, read 596,385 times
Quote:
It is completely irrelevant. It is simply not what we have been talking about for the 60 pages before you got here.

And please, please, start putting all of your choppy, broken, superficial thought in one post.
It's completely relevant. Some people who's ancestors whom are indigenous to Northern Europe lay claim to Greco Roman culture/concepts when their ancestors had nothing to do with the formation/foundation of that culture.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,482,976 times
Quote:
Kind of what this was intended to be. Or at least I was curious to see which way it would fall. If you notice, whenever someone want to talk about West Africa, we do. It is not my fault that a vast majority would rather call me a racist and claim that they are not claiming Egypt whiles they claim Egypt.
So you intentially made a flame bait thread.

This solves nothing.

I would stick to creating threads about the wonderful and rich history of West Africa. There is so much history there that has yet to be uncovered. Unfortunately a lot was lost to history or burned to the ground for obvious reasons.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
So you intentially made a flame bait thread.

This solves nothing.

I would stick to creating threads about the wonderful and rich history of West Africa. There is so much history there that has yet to be uncovered. Unfortunately a lot was lost to history or burned to the ground for obvious reasons.
Wow, you didn't even read what I said.

I said I intended it to be a thread that led to a discussion of West Africa, although I was curious to see if anyone would take me up on it.

If you did not understand that, it is really probably pointless to try and explain it again, but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Lets try again.

I WAS HOPING to make contact with people that would agree and were passionate about West Africa, I SUSPECTED AND FEARED that I would not. I made the thread WONDERING BUT NOT SURE which way it would go.

SADLY, it mostly went south, because dozens of people jumped on claiming that they were not claiming Egypt while making arguments to claim Egypt, and calling me a racist for saying that they had nothing to do with Egypt.

If you notice, WHEN PEOPLE BRIEFLY DID TRY TO TALK ABOUT WEST AFRICA, I ENGAGED THEM, BUT THIER VOCIES WERE QUICKLY DROWNED OUT.

Actually, I am more or less giving up. I may re-visit this thread in the future, but for now, I really just don't care anymore. Here you are claiming that you care about the rich history of West Africa...and yet you have not said a word about it. Wonderful.

I will always read what I want to read, and research what I want to research, but it seems that it is simply not possible to discuss the real history of Africa without the Afrocentrists coming out of the woodwork, throwing their tantrums, posting nonsense and making accusations of racism. 71 pages of "no one claiming Egypt" in the books. Brilliant. Really.

Peace.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,482,976 times
Original Post
Quote:
Let me start of my saying that I am a white man and an incredible fan of Ghana, Mali, Songhai, Kanem,-Bornu, the Nok, Tichitt-Walata, Chengueti, Oudani, Audoghost, Nsibidi, Adrinka, Ajami, Timbuktu, Gao, Djenno djenne, Djenne proper, the Benin empire. the Oyo empire, the Hausa-Fulani states, the Ashanti empire, the Benin city walls, Sungbo's Eredu, and Loropeni, and all else that is West African. I think it can truly be said that there is a real historical Niger River civilization cycle that can studied with great admiration.
Good so far.

Quote:
In that context, my question is, why is it that "Afrocentrists," who are largely comprised of African Americans, are obsessed with Egypt?
How would this lead to a conversation about West African civilizations?

Quote:
African Americans are descended from 13 African counties in west and central African. There are statistically no African Americans of Egyptian descent what-so-ever. Modern Egyptians are thought to be by geneticists almost identical to the ancients. The ancients had demonstrably ( by both art and mummies) lighter skin, and finer features. Egyptian haplotypes are a mix of North African (not sub-Saharan) and West Asian.

but the question of whether the "original" Egyptians are "black" (they weren't) is moot. they are culturally vastly different anyway. No African American has an ancestor that built a pyramid or wrote in hieroglyphic. They had great ancestors that built fine stone cities and wrote in Ajami, but they were not Egyptian.

Arocentrics like to argue that Europeans all trace their ancestry back to the Greeks and Romans, and thus they should be able to claim Egypt, but Common European ancestry is real, whereas African is not. When the Untied States was formed, our founding fathers debated the merits of Greek democracy against Roman Republicanism. There is no similar debate regarding modern Africa dictatorships vis a vis pharaohonic god-king rule (and what would be the difference?).

I can prove that the Ancient Egyptians are the same as today's largely Caucasoid looking Egyptians in any debate. Eurasians back-migrated into north Africa before historical times, and even the Africans that stayed in Africa evolved to look more Eurasian. There simply was no large "black" population in Egypt in historical times.

Where are the pyramids and hieroglyphic tests in West Africa if they are so closely related?

Ancient Egypt, regardless of race (and they weren't black), has no connection what-so-ever to Africa Americans.
Flame bait. At no point in your first post did you indicate that you wanted this to lead to a discussion of West Africa or it civilizations.

Maybe if you followed your first paragraph with anything about west Africa instead of, you know, afrocentrists and egypt then your last post would have some validity.

Now to this post.

Quote:
Wow, you didn't even read what I said.

I said I intended it to be a thread that led to a discussion of West Africa, although I was curious to see if anyone would take me up on it.
A simple comparison of this statement to the OP makes the former a complete fabrication.

Quote:
If you did not understand that, it is really probably pointless to try and explain it again, but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Lets try again.

I WAS HOPING to make contact with people that would agree and were passionate about West Africa, I SUSPECTED AND FEARED that I would not. I made the thread WONDERING BUT NOT SURE which way it would go.
So you made a thread attacking afrocentrists hoping that it would lead to an in depth conversation of West Africa? Based on the OP, this appears to be the single worst way to transition to a discussion on West African civilizations.

A similar thought process would produce a post like this:

"As a Ravens fan, I still am a fan of the Miami Heat. However, I don't know why your fans are such bandwagoners because of Lebron. I can prove that your fan base consists of a bunch of fair weather fans."

And expect it to lead to a nice discussion on Miami's playoff chances.

Quote:
SADLY, it mostly went south, because dozens of people jumped on claiming that they were not claiming Egypt while making arguments to claim Egypt, and calling me a racist for saying that they had nothing to do with Egypt.

If you notice, WHEN PEOPLE BRIEFLY DID TRY TO TALK ABOUT WEST AFRICA, I ENGAGED THEM, BUT THIER VOCIES WERE QUICKLY DROWNED OUT.
That is what happens when you make a troll thread. The fact that it went on this long only lets me know that this place isn't monitored with regularity.

Quote:
Actually, I am more or less giving up. I may re-visit this thread in the future, but for now, I really just don't care anymore. Here you are claiming that you care about the rich history of West Africa...and yet you have not said a word about it. Wonderful.
This thread is the last place to discuss the rich history of West Africa.

Quote:
I will always read what I want to read, and research what I want to research, but it seems that it is simply not possible to discuss the real history of Africa without the Afrocentrists coming out of the woodwork, throwing their tantrums, posting nonsense and making accusations of racism. 71 pages of "no one claiming Egypt" in the books. Brilliant. Really.

Peace.
You do know they only came out of the woodwork because you attacked them right?

Old 03-14-2014, 03:08 PM

93,912 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Original Post

Good so far.

How would this lead to a conversation about West African civilizations?

Flame bait. At no point in your first post did you indicate that you wanted this to lead to a discussion of West Africa or it civilizations.

Maybe if you followed your first paragraph with anything about west Africa instead of, you know, afrocentrists and egypt then your last post would have some validity.

Now to this post.

A simple comparison of this statement to the OP makes the former a complete fabrication.

So you made a thread attacking afrocentrists hoping that it would lead to an in depth conversation of West Africa? Based on the OP, this appears to be the single worst way to transition to a discussion on West African civilizations.

A similar thought process would produce a post like this:

"As a Ravens fan, I still am a fan of the Miami Heat. However, I don't know why your fans are such bandwagoners because of Lebron. I can prove that your fan base consists of a bunch of fair weather fans."

And expect it to lead to a nice discussion on Miami's playoff chances.

That is what happens when you make a troll thread. The fact that it went on this long only lets me know that this place isn't monitored with regularity.

This thread is the last place to discuss the rich history of West Africa.

You do know they only came out of the woodwork because you attacked them right?
To top this all off, no one claimed to be Afrocentric or that African Americans are directly related to Ancient Egypt ancestrally. Many did mention the "Black" influence in Ancient Egypt and in turn that there was an interest in that society due to this and having a Pan African view, as well as cultural and other aspects that are similar in various parts of the continent.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To top this all off, no one claimed to be Afrocentric or that African Americans are directly related to Ancient Egypt ancestrally. Many did mention the "Black" influence in Ancient Egypt and in turn that there was an interest in that society due to this and having a Pan African view, as well as cultural and other aspects that are similar in various parts of the continent.

You are almost unbelievable. 71 pages of "no one claiming Egypt." I mean really.

You sure as hell weren't talking about west Africa, where your people are from. That is for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa