Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,138,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
More Non Sequitur logic from you. So did the Meso Americans, African Americans and most other people in the Western Hemisphere whom were conquered by Europeans. Still doesn't help your argument. The tribes of Northern Europe were different culturally and ethnically from Ancient Greek and Romans. You choose not to recognize this because it doesn't fit your argument. Again, my point still stands. ASSIMILATION is not the same as CONCEPTION.
Your argument is gibberish, and I am not wasting anymore time on it. Greece and Rome are indispensable to the subsequent history of Europe. Most of the rest of Africa learned nothing from the Egyptians. Like the tomfoolery above, that does not change because you refuse to understand it.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 PM

592 posts, read 597,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Your argument is gibberish, and I am not wasting anymore time on it. Greece and Rome are indispensable to the subsequent history of Europe. Most of the rest of Africa learned nothing from the Egyptians. Like the tomfoolery above, that does not change because you refuse to understand it.
Gibberish you say? I'm not sure how much more clear I can make this for you. You clearly either have issues with reading comprehension, or it's that you understand but simply choose not to accept the validity of my argument. Once again, based on the evidence provided by the many scholars I've cited, it would suggest that early Egyptian culture was influenced by Sub-Sahara African customs and tradition.(This includes Central and West Africa. Read Egypt in Africa by Celenko and Kusimba, Chapurukha M. "Ancestor Worship and Divine Kingship in Sub-Saharan Africa." In Egypt in Africa, compiled by Theodore Celenko, 59-61. Indianapolis: Indianapolis Museum of Art and Indiana University Press, 1996 for more information on this subject) In relation to the thread topic, "Why do Afrocentric people(African American people) try to relate themselves to Ancient Egypt rather than claim their real history?" The point I and others have been making is people of West African descent(Due to ancient customs and cultural similarity) have as much right to relate to Ancient Egyptian history (if not more so) than Northern Europeans do to Greco Roman history. There is no evidence(that I've seen) that shows Northern European(Germanic tribes indigenous to Northern Europe) contributions into the foundation of Greco Roman concepts and culture. No one has denied the influence of Greco Roman culture on European civilization. What you are doing though is using CULTURAL ASSIMILATION(which is what happened when the Romans conquered the Germanic tribes of Northern Europe) as the basis for your argument and using the same standard to explain the connections between Ancient Egypt and the rest of Africa. It doesn't work that way. The premise of this thread was baseless from the start.

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-08-2014 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Gibberish you say? .
Yup.

Quote:
I'm not sure how much more clear I can make this for you. You clearly either have issues with reading comprehension, or it's that you understand but simply choose not to accept the validity of my argument
Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension- your argument is garbage.

Quote:
Once again, based on the evidence provided by the many scholars I've cited, it would suggest that early Egyptian culture was influenced by Sub-Sahara African customs and tradition.
And again, they were also influenced by West Asia as well. Egypt had many sources. In any event, the Sub-Saharan Africans who contributed the cattle culture were still not the ancestors or African American Afrocentrists, which is what we are talking about here. Now you are just trying to steal the glory of another people who had nothing to do with you.

Nor does nay of this get us any closer to why you don't want to study your real ancestors. The Egyptians were not your ancestors regardless.

Quote:
(This includes Central and West Africa. Read Egypt in Africa by Celenko and Kusimba, Chapurukha M. "Ancestor Worship and Divine Kingship in Sub-Saharan Africa." In Egypt in Africa, compiled by Theodore Celenko, 59-61. Indianapolis: Indianapolis Museum of Art and Indiana University Press, 1996 for more information on this subject)
Absolute nonsense. No one even knows what was going on in West Africa when Egypt was forming. These men, if you are even representing their arguments correctly, are comparing apples and oranges because no comparative history of the two regions at the time of Egyptian formation is even possible.

Besides, divine kingship is and extremely primitive form of government to be found all around the world.

Quote:
In relation to the thread topic, "Why do Afrocentric people(African American people) try to relate themselves to Ancient Egypt rather than claim their real history?" The point I and others have been making is people of West African descent(Due to ancient customs and cultural similarity) have as much right to relate to Ancient Egyptian history (if not more so) than Northern Europeans do to Greco Roman history.
Still nonsense no matter how many times you repeat it. Still waiting for those West African pyramids, columned temples, hieroglyphic texts, discussions of Ma'at, etc. They were a completely different people that had nothing what-so-ever to do with your ancestors.

Quote:
There is no evidence(that I've seen) that shows Northern European(Germanic tribes indigenous to Northern Europe) contributions into the foundation of Greco Roman concepts and culture. No one has denied the influence of Greco Roman culture on European civilization.
It isn't the point as has been explained a thousand times. Greece and Rome are connected with the rest of Europe in many important ways. The Other European countries took up Greco- Roman learning and formed cultures partially based on it. These people fought each other, interbred, traded, colonized each other, etc. But yes, they were more closely related to Egypt and West Africa from the start since they were both Indo-European cultures.

Quote:
What you are doing though is using CULTURAL ASSIMILATION(which is what happened when the Romans conquered the Germanic tribes of Northern Europe) as the basis for your argument and using the same standard to explain the connections between Ancient Egypt and the rest of Africa. It doesn't work that way. The premise of this thread was baseless from the start.
For one thing, the Romans never conquered Germany, though they beat them in many battles.

It really is not difficult to understand...Greco Roman culture was studied and copied by the rest of Europe, leading to a common Germanized Greco-Roman culture. No such thing happened in Africa. Other than Nubia, Egyptian culture was not projected anywhere.

Please don't bother to idiotically repeat that West Africa contributed something to Egyptian culture or they shared cultural underpinnings...nobody even knows what was going on in West Africa at the time, and we can keep repeating it over and over again as we need.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Yup.

And again, they were also influenced by West Asia as well. Egypt had many sources. In any event, the Sub-Saharan Africans who contributed the cattle culture were still not the ancestors or African American Afrocentrists, which is what we are talking about here. Now you are just trying to steal the glory of another people who had nothing to do with you.

Nor does nay of this get us any closer to why you don't want to study your real ancestors. The Egyptians were not your ancestors regardless.

Absolute nonsense. No one even knows what was going on in West Africa when Egypt was forming. These men, if you are even representing their arguments correctly, are comparing apples and oranges because no comparative history of the two regions at the time of Egyptian formation is even possible.

Besides, divine kingship is and extremely primitive form of government to be found all around the world.

Still nonsense no matter how many times you repeat it. Still waiting for those West African pyramids, columned temples, hieroglyphic texts, discussions of Ma'at, etc. They were a completely different people that had nothing what-so-ever to do with your ancestors.

It isn't the point as has been explained a thousand times. Greece and Rome are connected with the rest of Europe in many important ways. The Other European countries took up Greco- Roman learning and formed cultures partially based on it. These people fought each other, interbred, traded, colonized each other, etc. But yes, they were more closely related to Egypt and West Africa from the start since they were both Indo-European cultures.

For one thing, the Romans never conquered Germany, though they beat them in many battles.

It really is not difficult to understand...Greco Roman culture was studied and copied by the rest of Europe, leading to a common Germanized Greco-Roman culture. No such thing happened in Africa. Other than Nubia, Egyptian culture was not projected anywhere.

Please don't bother to idiotically repeat that West Africa contributed something to Egyptian culture or they shared cultural underpinnings...nobody even knows what was going on in West Africa at the time, and we can keep repeating it over and over again as we need.
YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT. Thanks for proving my point.

"For one thing, the Romans never conquered Germany, though they beat them in many battles"

That quote leads me to believe you know very little of European history. There was no unified nation called "Germany" back then.

How are you going to argue the significance of Ancient Egypt in relation to the rest of Africa if you don't even know your own(European) history.

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-09-2014 at 03:57 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Yup.

"Absolute nonsense. No one even knows what was going on in West Africa when Egypt was forming. These men, if you are even representing their arguments correctly, are comparing apples and oranges because no comparative history of the two regions at the time of Egyptian formation is even possible"

Dude, read the sources I've cited. You're making assumptions.

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-09-2014 at 03:17 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 AM

"Common Germanized Greco Roman culture" What does that even mean? I think you're just repeating words that I'm using and adding words to them as you go.

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-09-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Yup.

"It isn't the point as has been explained a thousand times. Greece and Rome are connected with the rest of Europe in many important ways. The Other European countries took up Greco- Roman learning and formed cultures partially based on it. These people fought each other, interbred, traded, colonized each other, etc. But yes, they were more closely related to Egypt and West Africa from the start since they were both Indo-European cultures."

Thanks for proving my point.(yet again) You can repeat this notion(change the wording, add new words) it still won't change what you're describing here as CULTURAL ASSIMILATION. I didn't even bother mentioning the Slavic tribes in Russia.(which opens up a whole other can of worms lol)

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-09-2014 at 04:12 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Yup.

If my argument is garbage then yours must be absolutely terrible lol. You're just making up stuff as you go. No authoritative sources, no studies, nothing. The things you actually did post hurt your argument, not help it.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-09-2014 at 03:56 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 03:32 AM

"But yes, they were more closely related to Egypt and West Africa from the start since they were both Indo-European cultures."

Glad you said this. Makes my point all the more valid.

Anthropologic arguments

Such as:

study of their sociology highlights even more features common to the civilizations of ancient Egypt and sub-Saharan Africa. In particular...
  • matriarchy, characterized by both societies being organized around women.
  • totemism, or the complex association of an animal (for example the falcon, the crowned crane, the crocodile, or the cat...) with an individual or a group and used in forms of worship.
  • religion, which reveals the Egyptian/Nubian pantheon replicated in Benin, Togo and Nigeria from the Fon, Ewé and Yoruba cultures.
  • philosophy
  • ethonyms, or the fact that the names of cultural human groups in modern Africa still carry many of the names used in ancient Egypt: Atoum, Antef, Sek, Meri, Kara, Bara, Bari, Raka, Sen Sar, Kaba, Keti, Amenti, Kamara, Konare, Sankale, Sangare, Sankare, etc.
  • attributes of royalty like the uræus are represented on the royal crown of the Pharaon and of Oni d'Ife respectively.
  • systems of knowledge transmission. An essential common characteristic between ancient Egypt and sahelian Africa: knowledge transmission begins.
http://www.ankhonline.com/egypte1.htm and http://www.ankhonline.com/cheikh.htm.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT. Thanks for proving my point.

"For one thing, the Romans never conquered Germany, though they beat them in many battles"

That quote leads me to believe you know very little of European history. There was no unified nation called "Germany" back then.

How are you going to argue the significance of Ancient Egypt in relation to the rest of Africa if you don't even know your own(European) history.
Please, The chest thumping gets you nowhere. I obviously no far more about history than do you. I was speaking of Germany as a geographic lavation, and obviously so.

You are really growing very desperate.

Since you have foolishly claimed that West Africa influenced Egypt when no one was even knows what was going on in West Africa at this time, you need to give examples. No more straw man...no more chest thumping...no more addressing thing sno one was saying.

Give examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa