Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,094 times

Advertisements

We recently got a Maine Coon Kitten. If anyone else out there has a Maine Coon, would you mind sharing info on this breed. Temperment, intelligence, bad and good characteristics, things like that. Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,247 times
I haven't had one, but from what I've seen...VERY intelligent, BIG, affectionate, but tend to be oriented to a family/individual. Any other ideas?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,222 times
Vet Tech here married to a fellow from Bangor Maine! MCC's are a large breed of cat. The males CAN reach up to 17 or 18 lbs. and tend to be sillier & dorky lol. Females are smaller and tend to point and laugh at the silly males. Um, sounding familiar yet? LOLOL! MCC's don't tend to be clingy cats..but won't ignore you. Teach them early & they'll retrieve toys. No kidding! Don't ignore their coats. Brush them out at LEAST twice a month if not more. This also encourages bonding & patience! You'll always know where your MCC male is by the loud thump when he jumps down. They're big boys. Lots of color selections. Not a high maintenance animal. Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
My mother-in-law has one. It is a female, and is the most disagreeable creature I have ever encountered. She looks all sweet & innocent......

Last edited by Racelady88; 06-30-2007 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
We recently got a Maine Coon Kitten. If anyone else out there has a Maine Coon, would you mind sharing info on this breed. Temperment, intelligence, bad and good characteristics, things like that. Thnx
Maine Coons are wonderful cats. I had one that was catjacked by my parents' after I went on a holiday and left him with them for 3 weeks. They totally fell in love with him and they had him for 17 years. Because my parents' elderly cat had recently died I didn't have the heart to take him back home with me. I think he liked living better with them better than me because I also had a female Himalayan and they fought alot. I think maybe the Himalayan might have missed him, but he definitely liked my mom and dad's place more. (They totally doted on, as did numerous family members who were entranced by his size and personality).

He weighed about 20 lbs., and could stretch completely from one end to the other end of their loveseat. He was very attached to my Mom and you could always hear a thump anywhere he jumped down from. He also played catch, opened cupboard doors, and got absolutely addicted to that Purina cat milk--you just had to say mmmmmilk and he would run to the fridge. It was crazy!!

Easy to discipline, very smart. Very loving and trusting. I also liked the shedding pattern of clump shedding rather than tiny little hairs everywhere. He loved being brushed too (which is a necessity a couple of times a week).

Unfortunately he passed on about a year ago because of complications from diabetes. He was about 18. I would definitely have another Maine Coon. (And just a bit of folklore....they were called that because it was believed they were a mixture of cat and coon). The Norwegian Forest Cat is quite similiar.

Last edited by taigagirl; 04-10-2007 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: sentence structure

Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Funny how on this board and elsewhere there are such mixed messages about Maine Coons.
Some say they are so mellow, others say they are a pain in the rear end.
They sure look cool, though.
I had a Heinz 57 kitty who retrieved.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:23 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,247 times
Hee hee hee cil -
They still are cats!! So they have to be somewhat quirky! (the females tend to be more so than the males!)

Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM

199 posts, read 1,132,964 times
I've always been fascinated by Maine Coons. But I get my cats from the Humane Society and other places like that and have never gotten a pure bred anything.

However, our kitty Muffins looks like a Maine Coon and even though she is female, she is a hefty kitty, especially compared to our short-hair male, Nero.

Does Muffins look like a Maine Coon mix to anyone knowledgeable?

Maine Coon Cats-muffins.jpg

Maine Coon Cats-muffins-nero.jpg

Old 04-12-2007, 05:06 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
My sister had a Maine Coon, he is huge and fiesty! Her ex's grandma has the cat now. He is a big time hunter, VERY smart, and unfriendly to most people. He was 'stalking' people and attacking them, lol. He is very loving to his owners and the grandma loves him to death.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times
I'm not a big cat lover, but my new neighbors have a Maine coon cat and it is the coolest cat I've ever met - affectionate, great attitude & beautiful, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats