Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:10 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,658 times

Advertisements

my husband had a maine coon as a kid. She was awesome. She was a big baby in the snuggles department, slept on his moms head and was always curled up in someones feet. She let the kids pick her up alot and learned to tap on his moms bedroom window when she wanted inside(they think it's cute, I think it would be annoying)
She stunk, ...but when I met her she was around 15 years old(old people stink!)`

She was very dedicated to them BUT when his parents divorced and the kids moved out she got very upset and left.

we have a brown tabby but he's large ...17 pounds and chases the dog(one vet said me might have maine coon). Actually, he beats up the dog.
if the dog is asleep he goes over to him and boxes w/ the puppys sleeping face. Ha! The dog just looks at the cat like he's stupid. He brings toys back, or use too... he's getting up there in age(8 is considered a senior in cat land) and is a fantastic cat. I think he's the prettiest tabby I've seen.

here are some pics. We didnt' really feed him milk. He was sitting like that and my husband got the milk out and took a pic.

here_kitty_kitty.jpg

DSCF0009.JPG

cats-035.JPG

Last edited by kelly3120; 08-24-2007 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 9,312 times
Here's Samantha, my 12 year old Blue Patched Tabby or Torbie.
She's the love of my life and when she was younger she fetch the little rattle mouse and would catch it in the air.
I have to disagree with a previous reply, MCC's do get mats. They get them in their under coat mainly under their front legs (armpit) and on their britches. These mats will grow and have to be cut out, the ones on the britches (butt) can cause serious problems if not kept under control. My ex and I used to give Samantha monthly butt trims, but now that I'm alone I have to take her to a groomer. Lucky for me Samantha's a good girl cause my groomer only take cats that don't scratch or bite. Bob.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM

39 posts, read 193,744 times
amy_cate and cooncatbob you have awesome looking cats!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Diana

Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,565 times
Default maine coons

I have 2 and they are as different as day and night. Bubba...the big boy joined mmy household as a stray/dumped near the creek behind my mom's house. He was matted, huge scratch above his eye, fleas, and a general mess. the vet cleaned his eye, cleaned infection and I cut out mats, combed him and got him ready to come home. He looked like a ragamuffin, big hunks cut out of his fur, eye almost swollen shut, huge lump above it. wow. 2 years later, Annabelle Lee, his sister/granddaughter joined us, after she had a bout with a neighborhood thug and gasoline. she's 1/2 MC and since he's the only MC that was in the area, granddaughter it is. SHe has stronger MC characteristics than Bubba, the long neck ruff, the plaintive cry meow, the bushy britches, but he's the snuggly, love, who has to be touching me...wraps around my head when I sleep. my cat hat. she sleeps at my side (on her terms) and stretches out a leg.
Bubba wants me to hire a nanny for him, that can carry him around like a baby, comb and brush him and keep his sinks filled with water for him to stick his paw in and lick the water off.

they are truly wonderful additions to any household, and I am very blessed having them. Bubba is 18 pounds and Annabelle Lee is 13.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:24 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
cooncatbob

Your cat looks just like Gracie did (before she got her lion cut).

Old 10-14-2007, 07:09 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,968 times
Possibly the best cats ever! I had two, a brother and sister, for 17 years. They were the most affectionate and loving cats, to each other and to us. Great with the kids, super lap sitters - particularly the male. Both passed on a month apart. Just wonderful companions.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:43 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,460,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
We recently got a Maine Coon Kitten. If anyone else out there has a Maine Coon, would you mind sharing info on this breed. Temperment, intelligence, bad and good characteristics, things like that. Thnx
I had a Maine Coon Cat who was my first cat and turned me from a dog person to a cat person. I got him as a kitten and after reading the book, HOW TO BE YOUR CAT'S BEST FRIEND, I taught him not to scratch (where he wasn't supposed to) by just gently stroking his front paws in the direction the fur grows when he was curled up on my lap. I'd say "soft paw" while i did it and the claws would retract. Then after months of doing this, he knew what "soft paw" meant so when he'd go and start to scratch the sofa, I'd tell him "soft paw" and move him to a scratching post and scratch my nails against it. Then quickly he knew where he was supposed to go when he felt like scratching. He left my furniture alone.

Main Coons don't stop growing until they reach the age of 5.

He was a very smart cat. I actually trained him to do tricks as well. I was devastated when he died on me prematurely which I'm convinced was due to the lousy diet the vet told me to put him on and and also due to giving him TOO MANY VACCINATIONS. His diet (which was dry Science Diet) for most of his life until i started to learn about the benefits of a NATURAL DIET as well as NATURAL MEDICINE. Thanks to clueless vets most of whome know NOTHING about what constitutes a healthful diet for a cat, he contracted Feline Urologic syndrome and had to undergo a lot of unnecessary stressful treatments which could have been avoided if I'd only known from the start that cats need to get their water from their food. Furthermore, their diet needs to mimic what nature intended for them.

He was only 9 when he died suddenly on me of a heart attack or s troke during an afternoon nap. I'd learned that Maine Coon Cats are suseptible
to Cardiomyopathy. I ronically my mother's cat was sick and I was helping her with her when my poor baby died. I wasn't even in the house when it happened I don't think. When i returned he wasn't waiting for me like he always used to at the door and i searched all over and found him curled up, cold, stiff, not breathing. I was so FREAKED OUT and sick about losing him I was depressed for nearly a year after that.

Earlier that day he had been his usual silly self and acted perfectly fine. He was so giving so lovable and so smart even though (little did i know at the time, his diet was trash and was shortening his life).

Get the book THE NEW NATURAL CAT by Anitra Frazier and follow it. I unfortunately didn 't get it until he was 7 or so and the damage from 7 years of dry food and being over vaccinated had taken its toll.

I now have a Norwegian Forest Cat which is like a smaller Maine Coon Cat with even longer thicker fur. I adopted him when he was about 2 or 3 and I've had him for 9 years so he's at least 11 but as long as I've had him he's had either a very high quality canned food from a health food store or a home prepared raw meat and bones and a few cooked veggies and natural supplements. NO VACCINATIONS except 2 rabies shots since I've had him.

This cat learned tricks very quickly also except he was too old for me to teach him not to scratch the furniture. I'm determined to keep him as long as I can. He has the teeth of a healthy 5 year old cat glistening white, thanks to his diet. His coat is silky soft thanks to his diet and supplements.

Now if there is ever a problem, I'll listen to the vet but follow the recommendations of my Naturopath unless it is an acute life or death situation (instead of doing what the vet says about diet or chronic or degenerative problems and not even inquiring with my naturopath like I did and regret doing with my first cat).

Old 10-27-2007, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 38,445 times
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, having found it whilst looking for something else!!

I have loved reading about the antics of your Maine Coon's. We have a nearly 5 y.o male who is an absolute delight (most times) to be around. The exception is at 4.00am when he decides it is time to get up or at least for mum or dad to get up and feed him. He is so similar in temperament to a lot of your MC's in that he loves playing with water and drinking from the tap, pawing at the dogs' water bowl before drinking from it and the best of all, re-arranging the furniture and playing with the toilet paper roll. Many times we come home from work to find a trail of white coming from the ensuite in our bedroom!!

I have attached a photo of Taska, although not a recent one, it gives an indication of his colouring (classic brown tabby and white).
Attached Thumbnails
Maine Coon Cats-taska-1.jpg.jpg  

Old 10-27-2007, 07:47 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,982 times
we_love_our_ridgies, the picture of Taska is much like our boy, except your boy's fur is longer than ours. (We think ours is a MC mix, not full MC.) How much does yours weigh, do you know? Ours is roughly 15 pounds, or about 6-1/2 kilos and is...wow, going to be 5 soon. He is a wonderful boy, quite a snuggler.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:52 AM

7 posts, read 38,445 times
Hi AnyDayNow,

At his last vet check earlier this year, Taska weighed around 5kg or 11 lbs. He is quite small for a MC, mainly due to his father being quite small boned apparently. Taska is a snuggler as well, but is not good when his nails haven't been clipped - ouch lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats