Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 07:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

I want one, too, but I think my husband would kill me, we already have one cat and he considers it too many.
PHM, what a lot of shelters do is take your name and keep an eye out for a specific breed for you.
And quite often there are rescue organizations which are specific to one breed.
You might get a full-blooded Maine Coon, you might not.
Maybe one of the Main Coon owners will offer further advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 12:47 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I want one, too, but I think my husband would kill me, we already have one cat and he considers it too many.
PHM, what a lot of shelters do is take your name and keep an eye out for a specific breed for you.
And quite often there are rescue organizations which are specific to one breed.
You might get a full-blooded Maine Coon, you might not.
Maybe one of the Main Coon owners will offer further advice.
I'll do that.

They're like the dogs of the cat world.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:07 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
I had a MCC that died last year at 18. He acted like a dog most of the time. He was the greatest cat ever. My husband's family does not like animals at all, but after they met him the first time, they all said they would have a cat if it acted like Freddy.

RIP Freddy

Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
I have a Maine Coon, named Silver Belle (Belle for short). She is a riot!! She chirps instead of meowing. She tells the dog when she wants to eat, needs water,wants to go out. and then he tells us. She bosses him around, lol!! She owns us, not the other way around. She decides if she wants to acknowledge us or not.

She is not a sit in your lap, purring cat. She has her own bed ( a large double in her room), her own chair, etc. She is a one person cat.

She is a silver grey beauty. She was bred to be a show cat, and was being groomed for showing when she developed a respirtory issue. Nothing we really have to worry about.. but it ended her career so the breeder sold her to us for a cut rate. Of course she is fixed and that is really what we paid for, we only paid $75.

She is more like a dog than a cat. Our dog is more like a cat, lol!!

I wouldn't have any other type of cat, my husband though would love a siamese. they are as opposite as you can get!!

Shelly

p.s. the dog is a ****-a-poo and they are about the same size and weight!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
hmmm, the board must automatically edit out for bad words, but the PC police got it wrong!!! Lets try this, the dog is a cockapoo.

shelly

Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,285 times
We also had a MCC mix, and she was one of the "great" cats of the world. She lived to about 20, and formed a deep bond with my partner. You are right about the chirping! Also cooed, talked non-stop in various sounds, and named my partner "Ein". She would get one of her toys, pick it up, carry it to my partner and drop the toy at his feet, her gift to him. If she wanted him, she'd begin calling, "Ein! Ein!"

One day I was working in the bedroom we had made into an office, my partner left for work, closing the front door behind him and I suddenly heard these great gasping sobs, howling and cries of "Ein! Ein!" I ran to the foyer and she was just sitting there, looking at the door and literally sobbing! When she saw me she pretended not to be upset, and purred, but we always wondered from then on how often she did this.... Her "Ein" was leaving and might not ever come back!

Old 05-27-2007, 02:49 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
Here's a pic of my baby:

Last edited by tao; 05-27-2007 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: pic not working

Old 07-24-2007, 08:08 PM

265 posts, read 813,720 times
Wow, what a beautiful cat. Right now I have 6 mischevious felines, but someday.....

Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
maine Coons rock!! I have a mix and what a personality....will get a pure bred one some day

Old 07-30-2007, 04:18 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
One of my kitties is a Maine Coon. She's a sweetie! Hope you have many happy years with your new kitten!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats