Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 06:29 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar9 View Post
I've always been fascinated by Maine Coons. But I get my cats from the Humane Society and other places like that and have never gotten a pure bred anything.

However, our kitty Muffins looks like a Maine Coon and even though she is female, she is a hefty kitty, especially compared to our short-hair male, Nero.

Does Muffins look like a Maine Coon mix to anyone knowledgeable?

Attachment 2739

Attachment 2740
Ooh your cats are beautiful. He definitely looks like a Maine Coon or a Norwegian Forest Cat. I too am surprised at the differing opinions of M.C.'s
on this thread. But then again, they are cats!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:15 PM

199 posts, read 1,133,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Ooh your cats are beautiful. He definitely looks like a Maine Coon or a Norwegian Forest Cat. I too am surprised at the differing opinions of M.C.'s
on this thread. But then again, they are cats!!
Thanks! I think the differences in temperament that people are expressing are probably more due to the environment the cat was exposed to as a kitten. Nero, our short-hair was properly weaned from his mommy, who taught him how to mouse, and then joined us. So he is a very well-bonded kitty for our family. He hates the vet and tries to bite them, but with me, he's just a mama's boy.

Muffins, we adopted from a shelter, so we don't know what environment she began in, but probably not optimal since she was in foster care. It took her a couple of years with us and now she's hanging out with us (including 7 rowdy children) and hardly skittish at all. She used to jump at blankets and things on the floor.

I'm sure she has some Maine Coon, but since she's not pedigreed, we'll never know for sure.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Hi -
I always thought Maine Coon cats were kind of tabby-colored. Can they be other colors? We have two littermates, adopted from a shelter. They look just like one of the photos posted here...I've attached a shot of one of ours. He's about 18-19 lbs. The other one is smaller, maybe 14 lbs, but they look just like twins with their markings.
Do you think he's part Maine Coon? Or something else?

They're both very affectionate, and love being brushed. They'll actually come over to me after feeding time and ask to be brushed. If they see me take out a brush, they come running!
Attached Thumbnails
Maine Coon Cats-18-lbs..jpg  

Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Hi -
I always thought Maine Coon cats were kind of tabby-colored. Can they be other colors? We have two littermates, adopted from a shelter. They look just like one of the photos posted here...I've attached a shot of one of ours. He's about 18-19 lbs. The other one is smaller, maybe 14 lbs, but they look just like twins with their markings.

They're both very affectionate, and love being brushed. They'll actually come over to me after feeding time and ask to be brushed. If they see me take out a brush, they come running!
What a beautiful baby!! My Maine Coon was registered and he was black and white. So they can come in different colours. The breeder found that the black and whites were very hard to sell because most people associated with Maine Coons wanted the tabby variety---so she ended up surrendering many of the black and whites to a shelter. My cat was also polydactial (he had six toes on each of his feet). His paws were huge. They are very smart cats.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Hi -

He's beautiful! I understand that Maine Coons can come in many colors.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
What a beautiful baby!! My Maine Coon was registered and he was black and white. So they can come in different colours. The breeder found that the black and whites were very hard to sell because most people associated with Maine Coons wanted the tabby variety---so she ended up surrendering many of the black and whites to a shelter. My cat was also polydactial (he had six toes on each of his feet). His paws were huge. They are very smart cats.
That's too bad about the b/w kitties. They are so adorable! My cat isn't polydactyl, but her paws are huge anyway.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 28,688 times
Thumbs up Maine coons

Hi- had a maine coon for a year now, and he is the best cat I've ever been owned by. He's loveable, intelligent, talkative and plays fetch with my dogs! He is superbly sweet natured- and I reckon if you ever have a Maine Coon you'll never have another breed again! We have 3 moggies and Tango the MC, and sad to say not enough space for a 5th cat. But one day....
Watch out for ornaments being deliberately pushed to the ground- they like to rearrange things shall we say. They love running water- no drinking out of a bowl for them. A fountain in the garden is a good idea to make sure they always have a supply of water. Watch out for being accompanied in the bath too! Ouch!
He loves company but is not a lap cat. Prefers to 'help' in your daily activities. Washing windows is fun. He chases bubbles so a kiddy's bubble blower is a great toy for the garden. He jumps out windows rather than the door, so I have to watch out for upstairs ones being left open!!!!!
You'll have such fun with your MC. They're the best!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 PM

77 posts, read 382,620 times
Default MCC characteristics

We have a male -- 20+ pounds of tuxedo marked mischief! Wonderful disposition. Mrrrps instead of meowing. Loves water and drinks by dunking his paws, then licking them. Fetches, chases his brother, the Siamese, and races to the kitchen and onto the "feeding stool" whenever supper time approaches. Also will catch his kibble in the air if his mommy can toss it right (nothing but net!). And every landing is a thud at his size!

As for appearances, the tuxedos are among the rare markings. Most are tabby types, with brown patch being the most common, followed by the red. Ears have little fringes of hair on their tips. Muzzle is pronounced and square -- most cats have a more pointed muzzle (not as triangular as the show standard Siamese, but not as boxy as the MC either). Body is long & paws are big -- think catcher's mitts -- with little tufts of hair between the toes. Big fluffy tails, long silky coats that, believe it or not, do not mat. Ruffled "shirt front" and sometime even a big ruff around the collar, in the style of Elizabeth I.

I agree with the comment concerning personality and early environment. Our baby came from a dedicated MC breeder in FL -- regalcoons.com. We found her and her husband via the internet and have since become fast friends, even traveling 700 miles to see them and show off our big boy after he turned 1. Her MCs are raised underfoot and loved and socialized from the first week. As a result, our boy wants to be loved, brushed, nuzzled, and played with. He's not obnoxious about his demands for attention, but he does love a good ear gritch and is not above pulling down trousers while his mommy is sitting on the throne, making a nest in them, and having a "puss in pants" moment, complete with much purring to the point of drooling. Quite a character! Wish we had room for more!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 15,303 times
Default Norman

We have 2 Mainecoons a 6yr. old weighs 30lbs. Also a 2yr. old .Both cats differ a little. Norman 30lbs. is not a lap cat thank god but is quite lovable and talkative. Gordie alot smaller and a trouble maker, getting into the cabinetts and closets at night looking for a midnight snack. Luv them both, and there always waiting for us to get home.There very good with children and will help you with your chores and read the newspaper with you.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,098 times
I want one....bad.

But instead of buying, I would like to adopt a rescue.

Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats