Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Twelve nursing students are suing Mountain State University, its former president and the board of trustees for fraud and breach of contract. And that number is expected to grow.

Beckley attorney Stephen New says 30 more will sue in Kanawha County Circuit Court later this week.
12 nursing students suing W.Va.'s Mountain State - WVVA TV Bluefield Beckley WV News, Weather and Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
I don't blame them as much as you pay for education they need to do their part to keep accreditation. That is a big deal in martinsburg also since MSU has a branch in martinsburg.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Litigation is still a major problem in our society. You cannot get blood out of a turnip. They will file bankruptcy and that will end it.

Students need to know to stick with the public funded entities as they have less chance of this happening.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Litigation is still a major problem in our society. You cannot get blood out of a turnip. They will file bankruptcy and that will end it.

Students need to know to stick with the public funded entities as they have less chance of this happening.
Its not a matter of going to a public program over a private program, its about learning how to gauge the health of a college before attending so they can avoid situations like this. They're crappy public programs too, like Bluefield St. & WVUTech.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
I was meaning financial stability not programs.

If a state school were to discontinue a program, I think they work with the students for some type of option to them. I have even heard of them phasing out a program instead of dropping it "cold-turkey".

Old 04-04-2012, 03:51 PM

But no matter what school you attend students should be protected, with tuition rising there should be higher standards of education, especially among private institutions that gain a profit.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Universities are on a time line now with cirriculums. Get the Degree in 5 years and hope you do not need an extra semester. In past years, a Degree was a 4 year stint and could be done in 3 with summer classes.

Too much money at stake now-a-days.

In 1965, a Degree cost about $4,500...measure that up with todays costs.

And sadly....a Degree doesn't mean much at all.
About the equivilant of a thorough high school education.

It's more about where the Degree comes from....

My biggest gripe? ...all of it should be free to those who qualify.

I hope these nurses can win this suit and set a precedent for the state.
It will be a wake-up call to Wv to do one thing better in the future.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM

I graduated in 2010 and completely agree. I spent 10's of thousands of dollars and ended up getting a job that doesn't require agree, although it pays well and the degree may have helped me land the job. Unless you go somewhere prestigious or have a specific field.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Universities are on a time line now with cirriculums. Get the Degree in 5 years and hope you do not need an extra semester. In past years, a Degree was a 4 year stint and could be done in 3 with summer classes.

Too much money at stake now-a-days.

In 1965, a Degree cost about $4,500...measure that up with todays costs.
Boy you hit the nail on the head.......

5.5 years with roughly 65,000 in 2010.... (I also took summer classes each summer and 16-20 hours a semester) I remembered my final year they were breaking up some classes into two classes because there was too much material to cover in one class.... riiiiiigghhhhhttttttt. You keep adding classes students will have to stay there longer... paying more in tuition.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
its about learning how to gauge the health of a college before attending so they can avoid situations like this.
Agreed.

MSU shouldn't be off the hook for this, but students have some responsibility too. MSU's troubles have been known for years. That they're now in an even worse situation should surprise no one.

Even a quick check of US News should be enough to send one running in the opposite direction:

- 100% acceptance rate
- 40% freshman retention rate
- 5% four year graduation rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia