Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

I am in NC. My hubby was contacted about adjunct work (teaching a class) for Mountain State University. We really know nothing about the institution. Could you give me the scoop? I couldn't really decipher much from the website. I can't even find if they are accredited and by what accrediting body.

Give it to me straight. Appreciate all info. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 03:14 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,814 times
That is the old Beckley College - it used to be a junior college in Beckley - don't know if it's any different now or not but I think not.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Here's info on their accreditation:
http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/InstDetail.asp (broken link)

Also:
Mountain State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association (312.263.0456, Higher Learning Commission - HLC Home).

Program Accreditations:
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education/APTA
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs in cooperation with the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
American Association of Medical Assistants' Endowment Department of Accreditation
Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education
Programs in cooperation with the Joint Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs in cooperation with the Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Therapy Education
Council on Social Work Education
National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission
The WV Board of Examiners for Registered Professional Nurses
American Culinary Foundation's Accrediting CommissionJoint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology

It's a relatively small college. I have had business dealing with a couple of the people in administration at MSU and they were wonderful.

The main campus is in Beckley. It's a nice little town about 1 hour from Charleston (WV State Capitol). There is a small ski resort there and other sightseeing things to do. Also, it's not far from the world-famous white water rafting in WV and 1 hour from The Greenbrier. I really like the people in Beckley - they are very nice.

Last edited by vec101; 06-11-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 03:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Assumed at first you were looking to move to Beckley but after seeing they have opened a branch in NC, now figure you are saying they want him to teach a class there.

MSU is no longer a Junior College. Degrees Offered: Associate degrees Bachelor's degrees Master's degrees

Also, it is a University (WVSC in Institute fought hard to get that University ranking so the title University is not just a name)

Here's their accredidation info on their website:
MSU > About MSU > Accreditation (broken link)

MSU > Prospective Students > Where Can I Study?:
Mountain State University has five locations for you to attend: the main Beckley campus, the MSU Martinsburg Campus, MSU Center Township Campus, MSU Orlando Campus, and MSU at the Hickory Metro Higher Education Center - Hickory, NC.

Mountain State University: Thank you for visiting the Mountain State University HMHEC website. We are excited about our newest location in Hickory, North Carolina,

Mountain State University Orlando Branch Campus
MSU's Orlando Campus offers bachelor's and master's programs in leadership as well as a comprehensive program in general education.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:28 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,788 times
When I was up there last, I read a very interesting article about MSU. They have a school system (I think elementary-12) that is part of the college. I read that the Valdictorian of this years class already had 45 college credits. I though that was a fantastic idea. I'd never heard of anything like it.

My wife is planning to teach Nursing there when we get there permanently. Absolutely agree with VEC, Beckly and the surrounding area has some of the nicest people I've ever met.
~Mark

Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Many of our Wv High Schools offer college classes...begining in the High School Junior year. If that student got in a summer term...he/she could very well have 45 credits and possiblly a math and english class clept with a proficency test...by the time they graduated..

Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Many of our Wv High Schools offer college classes...begining in the High School Junior year. If that student got in a summer term...he/she could very well have 45 credits and possiblly a math and english class clept with a proficency test...by the time they graduated..
We have some similar programs here, but no schools that are actually a part of the college. I think it's a great idea for a private education system, K-Bachelors Degree or more, sort of a one-stop shopping idea. Now, if we can get the government to rebate the thousands of dollars they take to fund their defunct education system, I'll be able to afford it!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
I suggested this in our area when I ran for office in 1988...an excellent local principal picked up on it and started sending his high school seniors to then Fairmont State College...it spread from that activity...

In West Virginia, college is big state business...from books to the dorms...its all geared to take your money...That's why a degree must carry some academic weight..and why Heather Manchins fake degree made big waves.

When a college education price totals nearly 90k people look elsewhere...When the online real universities come into being with good accreditation...these state run diploma mills will be in trouble...

West Virginia only needs a small portion of the colleges she has...they are kept in place because of the importance they are economicaly to those small areas...they could be much better and offer much more as extensions of the larger colleges...many could be integrated...

Old 06-14-2008, 05:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Thank you all for the info! DH has spoken w/ some of the people in Admin and he was quite impressed w/ degree offerings and structure of the programs.

Yes, there is a cohort here in NC, and the college needed someone w/ a doctorate and appropriate teaching and career experience to teach these sessions.

VEC - really appreciate the links and the info you shared. Now I want to go see the campus. Looks like a beautiful area.

Thanks again!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Mountain State now has a very small campus in Martinsburg,WV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia