Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 AM

282 posts, read 484,768 times

Advertisements

I see where HHGregg is moving into the vacated Borders bookstore. From their website it looks like they are all over the midwest & eastern part of the country north to south, but this is the first in WV. Anyone familiar with them? Are they anything like Best Buy? This is a very prime location so hopefully it does good. By the way, the new huge Cheddar's just down Grand Central has been packed since day one. Looks like it was a great move putting one in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 AM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
I bought a new fridge and stove from them about 8 months ago, they mostly sell appliances. They have pretty good sales on stuff like that, probably cheaper then best buy during their sales like christmas. I got 0% interest for two years.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
So that likely means the discount appliance store on Grand Central is about to close. I wish Borders was still there.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM

282 posts, read 484,768 times
Yes, Border's was good. Was hoping a Barnes & Noble came in that spot. Border's always did great business there.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:18 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,742 times
HHGregg sells appliances, tv stereos, computers, tablets and some video games. Unlike Best Buy which sells that and car stereos, CDs, DVD and video games. I prefer Best Buy- bigger stores better selection; their products aren't limited. However, I am in the minority HHGregg is doing well financially. Where as Best Buy is losing money and closing stores.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:57 AM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
HHGregg sells appliances, tv stereos, computers, tablets and some video games. Unlike Best Buy which sells that and car stereos, CDs, DVD and video games. I prefer Best Buy- bigger stores better selection; their products aren't limited. However, I am in the minority HHGregg is doing well financially. Where as Best Buy is losing money and closing stores.
Best Buy is an electronics store with limited appliances, hhgregg is more of an appliance store with limited electonics. Not sure which one you have been to but in winchester hhgregg is as big as best buy and they have like a quarter of store just in refridgerators. Best Buy has less then a quarter of the store for all of their appliances and they are very expensive.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
They have just opened many stores in the chicago area.

Pretty good selection
Staff is no diff than any of your other major chains

Glad they are in the area as best buy is shuttering stores nationwide.

Makes me wonder how any electronic , computer store stays in business anymore with the likes of the internet.

Guess I am really old school as i like to look at my computer equipment and phones etc first before a purchase.

I have given up on the service aspect of alot of stores.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I have given up on the service aspect of alot of stores.
Isn't that true? I keep telling the wife that a store could do really well if they got old fashioned salespeople that were more interested in helping you than watching what was on the television.

Sometimes I'll go in a store and walk around just to see if anyone waits on me. I'm not talking about Wal-Mart.

When Best Buy was still in Vienna I went in three times to look at a computer. All three times absolutely nobody asked if they could help me. I told the wife that if I was the store manager every one of them would be fired and replaced the next day.

I went across the street to the Office Depot and a guy asked right away and had an answer to all my questions. I bought the computer and asked for the manager and told her how much I appreciated the salesperson.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
asked for the manager and told her how much I appreciated the salesperson.
Was the manager a cute short lady?

If so, she is absolutely one of the most knowledgeable, customer-friendly, persons I have ever met.

She is energetic and so willing to help you find what you need. She can tell you exactly where everything is and proceeds to lead you right to the item.

Top notch service.

I bought a new computer there. I went through three computers that would not charge the battery. They ended up offering me a great price on a different model that had most everything else I wanted so I bought it. I noticed the one(s) I returned had four USB ports and this one only had three so I told them they should give me a router to make up for all trouble caused by returning three computers and the did.

I like Office Depot!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM

That could have been her. It's been a little while ago. 3 of the last 4 times I've been in Office Depot they have been very helpful. I suppose those odds are still acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia