Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 02:02 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't really want to start a thread just to ask one question and I remembered this one from the past so I thought I would ask it here.

I was in Elkins today. (it wasn't that long ago that I was last there). What happened to Scotties? I remember when it was pretty much the only fast food type restaurant in Elkins. It was pretty much a landmark IMO.

I see it's gone. Any story behind it getting torn down?
The church bought and tore down the old location for extra parking. Scotties was rebuilt in brand new building over by the intersection at Randolph, Harrison, and Railroad Ave by Go-Mart and Rite Aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 02:18 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Working at Davis and Elkins this summer. Took a walk around campus and took some pics

Old 06-22-2013, 04:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
The church bought and tore down the old location for extra parking. Scotties was rebuilt in brand new building over by the intersection at Randolph, Harrison, and Railroad Ave by Go-Mart and Rite Aid.
Thanks. I still will miss it sitting where it was. Nice pics also.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM

352 posts, read 796,818 times
GottaHerdOn: The pics of D&E are just beautiful, thanks for posting. I was wondering if you ever got around to reading the novel "Sins of the Seventh Sister"..am just curious about your take on it.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:48 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Elkins always struck me as having more of a northern feel architecturally. Great pictures, though!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM

110 posts, read 224,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBurn View Post
Recently I read a book written by Huston Curtiss called "Sins of the 7th Sister"..it's a novel based on a true story. It's setting is early Elkins WV--(1920's/30's) ..it's endlessly entertaining but, very hard to believe some of the tales Mr. Curtiss relates. I'm wondering if anyone (this means you GottaHerdOn)...has read the book or actually knows if the story told is in any way factual? I enjoyed it and all of the historical information about Elkins and the area. Just curious....and thanks, in advance, for any comments you may have.
By the way,it's a good read, just some rather alarming "goings on".
Included a copy in an Amazon order. After reading it and spending about 20 minutes searching, I can prove it is full of BS. Author doesn't seem to have much respect for the people of Elkins, only his fictional family and seems to have forgotten a lot.
For example, his family was not responsible for putting the "college" in Elkins in 1930 - D and E was established in 1904.
The Senator on the horse was Henry G. Davis who died in 1916 aged 92. The statue was erected in 1927 not 1929/30.
Says it is 90 miles to DC and 160 miles to Wheeling, WV. (Must have used the Map Quest route via not yet built Interstates thru Washington PA rather than the 129 miles going Rt.250.)

Also found:
Randy Harper - Being from Elkins WV, I find this book to be full of baloney. He has names of most landmarks correct and some events. But for the most part it is all ficticious. I had my doubts for awhile, until he got to the part about his mother being contacted for land for the airport. Knowing how the county acquired this land (being from the family it came from) I then knew beyond a doubt he was making it up.

Reviews indicate that some will believe anything:
Dawn Stanton details the years 1929 and 1930 and the absolute craziness in the family...everything and anything happened...murder, adultery, even incest..
Lee Ann "Hughie's" mother, in particular, takes in all the strays, fights the Klan, educates the black children, raises champion horses, sleeps with the sheriff, and more.

Others don't remember much history:
Christina C long but good...takes place in the 1930s during slavery and the depression...

User:JRSlack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia entry
Huston C. (Carl) Curtiss born 9 March 1922 in Elkins, West Virginia, died 1 August 2007 in Los Angeles. Professional writer under the pseudonym, "Ben Canfield" which was adopted to pay homage to Canfield, WV, which is just under two miles East of Elkins.

Last edited by HillsAndTrees; 07-11-2013 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 AM

352 posts, read 796,818 times
Thank You, HillsandTrees, for the information on "Sins of the Seventh Sister"..I had a feeling that Mr. Curtiss was embellishing the facts..for dramatic purposes, thanks for verifying this. However, it was entertaining to read and I am interested in all things "West Virginia".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia