Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,806,722 times

Advertisements

Wellsburg (pop. 2,805) is the seat of Brooke County (pop. 23,844), located in West Virginia's Northern Panhandle along the Ohio River. The town is located 10 miles south of Weirton and 15 miles north of Wheeling... and is a little under an hour's drive from Pittsburgh. Wellsburg is part of the Weirton-Steubenville WV-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area (pop. 123,243) and the Weirton-Steubenville WV-OH-PA Urbanized Area (pop. 70,889).

Wellsburg was laid out in 1790 and was an important rivertown, serving flatboats during the 1700s and 1800s. Like other towns in the area, it heavily industrialized and is home to many factories and ruins of factories.

Cardinal Energy's coal-fired plant in Brilliant, OH

looking across the Ohio at Ohio

lots of old houses in Wellsburg...

house on left built in 1825

empty

a collection of bizarre buildings

Brooke County Courthouse (1849)

gazing at Brilliant, OH

Miller's Tavern... built in 1798

DiCarlo's is a pizza chain famous in this region of the Ohio River Valley... purveyors of "Wheeling-style pizza"... essentially a square/rectangular crust with piping hot tomato sauce is removed the oven... where cold cheese and cold toppings are placed upon it and served...

Follansbee (pop. 2,986) is a dense, gritty industrial town along the Ohio River just a couple miles north of Wellsburg.

Follansbee is located on the right across the Ohio River from Mingo Junction, OH

old school red sauce Italian restaurants are ubiquitous in this region

the Wheeling-Nisshin hot-dip coated steel mill looms over Follansbee

I always wanted a West Virginia clock! By far the coolest state shape!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM

5,987 posts, read 8,967,301 times
I had been through there as a little kid, but didn't remember any of that. Wow, I had no idea how "developed" that area was. Some of those houses and buildings were beautiful. If the natural gas industry could bring new life into that area, that could really be a great suburb of Pittsburgh.

Thanks again, your skills are amazing!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 AM

92 posts, read 325,564 times
My favorite photo was "Traubert's"...looks like an old corner drug store. Keeping that paint scheme up must be a chore. And all the parking meters....revenue-based, or is parking that much of a problem ?

Great shots again !! Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:11 PM

868 posts, read 1,557,893 times
Great captures of Wellsburg and Follansbee! Every once in a while, I go to the area while visiting relatives in Weirton. It's a close knit and actually a very safe area despite the gritty look. The housing is very affordable to be so close to a major metro area.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 PM

352 posts, read 793,955 times
Love your photo tours! Thank you so much and well done!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,683 times
Default Looking for Follansbee Info

Loved your pics. Was wondering what the economy is like in follansbee now. Saw a segment about the still co. having gone bankrupt. Didn't know if follansbee was close to other cities with jobs. Or if follansbee had other companies to provide enough jobs.

How is the green energy waive affecting the coal mining industry.

I also noticed that there are a lot of old homes when I was on the internet looking at realestate. Are the 1910 homes well built that they are still being sold?

Thanks for any info
Barbara

Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,769,504 times
Those aren't bad towns I've been through them lots of times. They are small but they are strategically located so to speak. They're close to Wheeling, Weirton, Steubenville and Pittsburgh isn't far at all via route 22. Route 27 out of Wellsburg goes right into PA and the rural parts of Washington County. This is also the road the famous Drover's Inn is on. Great photos and work Evergrey.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,554,449 times
My dad is from Follansbee, graduated from FHS back in the 40s. My grandpap worked his entire life at Follansbee Steel, and is buried in F'bee. I spent a good deal of time in and around the area. That said, I find this area of WV extremely depressing, gloomy and ugly. BTW - my kin lived in Hooverson Heights - up the hill from downtown - not quite so dirty and ugly up there. Lots of good folks live there, but it's not where I would want to call home. I do, however, like the string of beer joints in F'bee- seems at one time they held some sort of record of the most beer joints in a one mile stretch, or something like that. When I was in college, the challenge was to make it down the strip drinking only one beer in each beer joint.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
This is an excellent collection of pictures from Wellsburg, WV. Thank your for posting these.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:53 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,628,657 times
Wow, have never seen these so thanks. Makes me want to move to Wellsburg. There was a great old sumemr camp on Brinnker Road run by the Knights of St. George back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia