Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

This is for all of the people who think they are too cool for Wheeling. The architecture in the city is second to none.

For more of my photo tours, visit: Discovering Historic Pittsburgh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U5szXnwQOo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
I love that!!!

Things like that get my heart pounding! LOL

I think everytown in WV should have a photo tour. Although most will fall way short of Wheeling, but it would be nice to see Morgantown, Charleston, Huntington, Lewisburg, Charles Town/Harpers Ferry, and maybe even smaller towns!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:04 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Thanks for posting that. You have to put everything in perspective in terms of time. Everyone here knows that I think Morgantown is the neatest place in West Virginia (and one of the best in the Nation) to live but I'm originally from the Wheeling area and spent a big part of my adult life there and most of my childhood.

Wheeling was settled and developed (aside from the Eastern Panhandle towns... Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, etc.) much earlier than other West Virginia cities. Those Eastern Panhandle towns also have great collections of 200+ year old brick archetecture but Wheeling easily has the largest collection. While frame construction is more the norm even for the older construction in most of the State, it is classic German brick style in Wheeling and it is quite beautiful. Much of it has fallen into disrepair with the economic fortunes of the town, but the fact that it survives is a testiment to the quality of its construction. The beautiful stained and crystal glass windows and tile fireplaces found in hundreds of those homes are virtually without equal, and are definitely unequalled in our state.

It is well worth the visit, and see historic Oglebay Park while you're at it.

By the way... there is hope that the Marcellus Shale activity will help return the area to its previous grandeur.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Much of it has fallen into disrepair with the economic fortunes of the town, but the fact that it survives is a testiment to the quality of its construction.
And also a testament to the civic pride and preservation efforts of the city that so many historic buildings have been beautifully restored and preserved over generations, and in spite of economic hardships.

And I mean it when I say that the pride of this city shows. There are many, many meticulously restored, grand buildings in Wheeling.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
And also a testament to the civic pride and preservation efforts of the city that so many historic buildings have been beautifully restored and preserved over generations, and in spite of economic hardships.

And I mean it when I say that the pride of this city shows. There are many, many meticulously restored, grand buildings in Wheeling.
That is right!

Here in Clendenin we are trying to restore town pride by restoring old buildings and houses. The process is long, hard, and expensive, but I enjoy what I am helping with and the progress!

Charleston has done alot like Wheeling has in restoring those old properties.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Great video, thanks for sharing. Wheeling really has some nice architecture.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 AM

10 posts, read 24,083 times
The Green Door in south Wheeling was missed, many of us remember it very well!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
That was there until the mid 80s or so. The AIDS epidemic worldwide
pretty well did away with those establishments, since up to 30% of all hookers were infected. The Green Door was but one of several. In the 50s and 60s there were at least a dozen of them. Open sexual attitudes in the
70s lessened demand. AIDS was the final straw.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,566 times
Beautiful, thanks for posting.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Sorry - while I am not too cool for Wheeling, Wheeling is too cool (COLD!!!) for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia