Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 11:10 PM

6 posts, read 5,479 times

Advertisements

WV is at the top of our "maybe we'll retire there" list. What can you tell me about Webster County and Diana, WV? (We saw some beautiful property online but haven't visited the area)
We live in the overcrowded, overtaxed Peoples Republic of Maryland and we're looking for quiet, serene and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 10:47 AM

456 posts, read 602,505 times
Definitely a remote area but very pretty. You really aren't close to anything there and would be on a well and septic. You are about 40 minutes to the closest real world facilities like Walmart in Flatwoods which is on interstate 79. Any other decent sized towns Elkins,Buckhannon,Summersville are over a hour a way.It depends how remote you want to be. Virtually no crime well because you are in the middle of nowhere. ABout 8300 residences in the whole county. If you like hunting ,fishing and remoteness it's the place for you. It's a little too far out for my taste for anything more than a nice drive but some people love that. There is no real hospital in the county. Clarksburg and Charleston are about a hour and a half away in opposite directions with good hospitals and any shopping you would need. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Thank you so much. I appreciate the info. Being away from shopping doesn't bother me, but that may be a little too far away from a hospital for emergencies.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:47 PM

53 posts, read 52,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALWhite View Post
We live in the overcrowded, overtaxed Peoples Republic of Maryland and we're looking for quiet, serene and safe.
How bad are the taxes in MD?

MD has cheaper income taxes. Their top bracket is effective of 5.75% is effective at $250k. WV starts charging 4% at $10k and $60k puts you in the 6.5% bracket.

I am guessing you are talking property taxes and home prices. Honestly, even if they are higher in MD, I bet net of taxes home prices will grow better in MD than WV over a 10-20 year period, especially if you are currently in an urban or suburban area and comparing to this 100% middle of nowhere location.

It probably takes years for anyone in this part of WV to sell anything. I just can't see there being much demand.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:20 PM

Taxes aren't the only reason, though it is a major consideration. WV does not tax military retirement. Maryland taxes everything. In fact, up until we elected Governor Hogan, Maryland had a "rain tax"!
Housing costs are astronomical. I have a 1400 sq ft rancher, no basement, on 1/3 acre on the eastern shore (which is generally a less expensive area) and it's valued at over $300k. And there are TOO MANY PEOPLE. Last Saturday it took me 90 minutes to drive 20 miles because of traffic. We've just had enough.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:54 AM

537 posts, read 958,494 times
Quote:
Taxes aren't the only reason, though it is a major consideration. WV does not tax military retirement. Maryland taxes everything. In fact, up until we elected Governor Hogan, Maryland had a "rain tax"!
Housing costs are astronomical. I have a 1400 sq ft rancher, no basement, on 1/3 acre on the eastern shore (which is generally a less expensive area) and it's valued at over $300k. And there are TOO MANY PEOPLE. Last Saturday it took me 90 minutes to drive 20 miles because of traffic. We've just had enough.
That was the main reason we left MD (PG Co.) -- TOO MANY PEOPLE.

Jeff. Co. WV is much quieter, and yes, taxes overall are definitely lower.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
That was the main reason we left MD (PG Co.) -- TOO MANY PEOPLE.

Jeff. Co. WV is much quieter, and yes, taxes overall are definitely lower.

Did it take some time to get used to the quiet?

Old 07-02-2019, 03:25 PM

537 posts, read 958,494 times
Quote:
Did it take some time to get used to the quiet?
Nope, it was instantly enjoyable! Haven't regretted our move for a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia