Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Forks, the shingle and shake mills were running full steam night and day. You could make big money by working two or three shifts, but those who did that, mostly recently returned Vietnam vets, needed a little chemical help to keep up that pace.

They got it from a guy at the old rundown motel in Beaver. I think he was actually subsidized the mills. But, when they got to the stage where they were speeding around like the rabbit in Fritz the Cat, and needed to mellow out, they came to see me.

I lived in my van in the free timber company campground right outside Beaver, and since I had "California Connections" I was delegated as the official importer of Mendocino Green which I got in the mail at the little post office in Beaver. The ladies who worked there called it my shipment of "Shirts".

Those were good times and I have many fond memories of those days, like the time Bigfoot raided the annual Shingle and Shake picnic and stole a keg of beer. Some people think it was a motorcycle gang from South Seattle, but that's another story.

I'm glad I got to experience Forks during these good times. I hear it has really gone down hill and is now populated by tourists, retirees, and weirdos looking for vampires.

I wonder if they ever got a Food Stamp office in Forks. I used to have to drive into PA for mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,973 times
Im moving to forks in a few weeks and i was wondering if anyone knows of some good restaurants nearby.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie Brie View Post
Im moving to forks in a few weeks and i was wondering if anyone knows of some good restaurants nearby.
Well let's see (mentally doing the 30 second drive through town...). OK, off the cuff there's a Subway, a Chicago Pizza, a Mexican restaurant or two and last but not least, the Forks Coffee Shop.

My favorite good restaurants are: Canlis Restaurant (Aurora) or Palisade Waterfront Restaurant (Queen Anne)- both of which are in Seattle.

Sure, somewhat tongue in cheek Brie but if one is going to live in Forks, they've got to be willing to drive a couple of hours for pretty much anything-

Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM

52 posts, read 349,609 times
If you move to Forks, you'll have tried them all in about a week or so. For dress codes, I don't think they allow corks anymore.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 AM

18 posts, read 124,654 times
Default I actually live in forks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
Well let's see (mentally doing the 30 second drive through town...). OK, off the cuff there's a Subway, a Chicago Pizza, a Mexican restaurant or two and last but not least, the Forks Coffee Shop.

My favorite good restaurants are: Canlis Restaurant (Aurora) or Palisade Waterfront Restaurant (Queen Anne)- both of which are in Seattle.

Sure, somewhat tongue in cheek Brie but if one is going to live in Forks, they've got to be willing to drive a couple of hours for pretty much anything-
There is ACTUALLY Subway, South North (chinese), Golden Gate (chinese), can't remember the name of the mexican resteraunt, The In Place (American), Forks Coffee Shop (American), a new little pub that serves really good burgers and is going to start doing homemade BBQ, The Smoke House (steaks and seafood mostly) Sullys (cheap fast food) Pacific Pizza, and 15-20 min drive, Three Rivers (burger place) and Hungry Bear (homestyle). So tounge in cheak all you want but there are more restraunts than that. The good factor depends on what you mean by good, good tasting or fancy? And it depends on your taste buds. I don't find many of the places here good but many others do think they serve good food. So you'll pretty much have to be the judge.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
I am a LPN thinking of moving to Forks, or that area. How is the health care industry over there. And by the way, while i have seen Twilight, the rain is what makes me like the area, that and the out doors.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Page View Post
I am a LPN thinking of moving to Forks, or that area. How is the health care industry over there. And by the way, while i have seen Twilight, the rain is what makes me like the area, that and the out doors.
There is a small community hospital/clinic in Forks:

Forks Community Hospital Forks Washington

The larger hosptital in the area is Olympic Medical Center (OMC) in Port Angeles:

Olympic Medical Center

Rain in Forks is one thing. How do you feel about a depressed timber based economy, rusty mobile homes and an isolated location? I don't know if this helps at all but have you ever been to smaller town Alaska? Forks reminds me a lot of that "feel".

I believe that a few of the board members here work at OMC (Kailani?). Perhaps she can given you her $0.02.

Good Luck!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 18,815 times
No. It is not a good idea.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
I have a question... I am thinking about taking a job in Neah Bay- I am familiar with Forks, La Push and Aberdeen but can not remember how far Neah Bay is from anyplace...
How long a commute would it really? The job is 8-5 M-F.
Amiee

Old 04-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeleng View Post
I am familiar with Forks, La Push and Aberdeen but can not remember how far Neah Bay is from anyplace...
Amiee:

You're absolutely right, Neah Bay is a long way from anyplace!

The problem is getting to Neah Bay and back from that "anyplace". For example, let's say you're traveling from the cosmic center of the peninsula, otherwise known as Port Angeles (). It's about 70 miles over to Neah Bay from PA. The problem is getting there: e.g. the road. WA 112 is hit and miss about being open, particularly in the winter (mud slides, rock slides etc.) It's a small, narrow little (scenic) goat path out to the booming metropolii of Clallam Bay, Sekiu and then Neah Bay. PA to Neah Bay takes me 2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on the road conditions, whether or not I get stuck behind a slow moving logging truck or twelve, etc.

From PA, you could take Hwy 101 out to Sappho and then jog north on Hwy 113 to pick up Hwy 112, and then west to Neah Bay. Some locals in Clallam Bay and Sekiu think this is the faster route in to PA anyway (probably because they blast along Hwy 101 to make up time?)

From Forks I'm guessing Neah Bay is (+/-) about 50 miles (I haven't ever clocked it exactly) but again, depending on the road, truck traffic, rock slides and so forth, it usually takes in the 1 1/2 to 2 hour range.

I know I've given you a broad range of time variable but that's the way it seems to go on the peninsula. FWIW, I'm one of those who drives the speed limit so YMMV. Slow down, go with the flow here and simply enjoy the drive!

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington