Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times

Advertisements

Here is the entire Classifieds of the Forks newspaper, the Forks Forum:
There are 9 jobs advertised, all of which require previous professional experience; and there are 5 rentals advertised.
Forks Forum - Classifieds

Here's the link for Craigslist for the Olympic Peninsula:
craigslist: olympia classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

PLEASE remember NEVER to send any money to anyone until you verify that they exist, that the property exists, and that the person advertising is legally authorized to rent the property. Scams are on the news almost weekly.

Here's the Peninsula Daily News for the north peninsula. Might have something for Forks:
Peninsula Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 AM

291 posts, read 948,060 times
Hi Cats! Thanks for the links!

I drove through Forks on my way to Copalis a few years ago. I don't really remember anything about it. We started from Mount Vernon and we had been on the road for a couple hours already. This thread has me intrigued. I think I will have to go back and take a look around. Maybe Forks could be a nice to place to move my family. I am a nurse and my wife is a teacher. What are the prospects for us finding work there?
wc@h

Last edited by West coast at heart; 09-15-2008 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: added greeting

Old 09-15-2008, 04:36 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Well, West Coast, short of the current rush of employment for vampire hunting, uhhh... The Forks Forum and the C of C are going to provide you with the most info. Honestly, Forks is delightful, but just a bit larger than blink-and-you'll-miss-it, and very rural-country. It's basically surrounded by drenching rain forests and tribal lands and reservations.

Forks used to be an active timber town, meaning it was one of the towns on the Olympic Peninsula where the lumberjacks and their families lived. I remember not too many years ago, when the timber industry on the peninsula began to contract and collapse, hearing on the news frequently about how the people living in Forks were losing jobs, incomes, homes, alternatives.

Forks is a different place today, relying a lot on spring-summer-autumn tourism and a very small timber industry. Nice people, friendly, probably a large percentage being "blue-collar" which means hard working, and the service people I've encountered (at stores, gas stations, etc.) have always been just as friendly as folks everywhere in Washington. But there's very little "there" there. And not a ton of population or sunshine.

There are more people, employment, variety, and sunshine on the northern end -- from Port Angeles at the west to Port Townsend at the east. A lot of resources are available for employment for both of you; job availability I don't know, but possibility certainly exists.

If you want to do some research, we're talking about:
Port Angeles, Sequim (pronounced in one syllable, "Skwim"), Port Townsend and all the little spots in between, even down the east side to Port Haddock and Port Ludlow. Medical facilities and schools will be found in greater numbers on the north end.

The average annual rainfall in Sequim is 13". They say that each mile you travel either east or west from the center of Sequim, you add one inch of rain per year. That's factual but not the whole story. Sequim and the whole northern end don't get much precipitation (because the clouds have to drop their rain on the west side of the Olympic Mountains in order to rise and travel over the mountains, and the wind comes from the west-southwest), but it does get a lot of cloudiness -- big, fat, photogenic white and light grey groupings of clouds. Breathtakingly beautiful! But that area does not have anywhere near the cloudy semi-darkness that the mainland gets during the winter. Also, it's pretty windy there. And exquisitely beautiful, many parts, in a quite rural sense. The northern coastline abounds in wildlife and wildfowl refuges and sanctuaries, some national, some state. And seafood to die for!! You like shellfish and crustaceans? OH YUM!!!

P.S. Found this thread. A bit old, but perhaps informative for you.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...acilities.html
Perhaps more useful comments:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...vs-sequim.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...****-soon.html

Last edited by allforcats; 09-15-2008 at 06:11 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 AM

291 posts, read 948,060 times
Thanks again Cats!!! It sure is nice to get all of that information. I am sort of familiar with the Sequim and Port Townsend area. My wife's parents lived in Shelter Bay (next to LaConner) for the last ten years. We went to visit them every summer until I started nursing school. Every year we would spend at least one day in Port Townsend. One year we brought my parents out to visit and we ventured to La Push after PT. We spent the night in Port Angeles as well. Another visit we went to Copalis for a few nights. Went through Forks and had lunch there. I think I would rather look to the Sequim area. It sounds like there might be more opportunities around there.

It is nice to hear from you again Cats. And thank you for the links!
wc@h

Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 27,604 times
Thank you Kerri. I certainly will. I appreciate your help.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,039 times
I have two questions. We (our family) have been planning to move now for a few years, absolutely hating the desert. We have stayed in Vancouver a few times, but way too big. We both originally come from small towns. My husband's allergies are getting worse here in the high desert of Nevada. I was wondering if a high rain area would help. Are there many allergy complaints there? I also have two daughters and was wondering what the schools are like. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 PM

52 posts, read 349,573 times
I spent the weekend in Forks. Deer and bear season, et al. It rained, of course, but it is Forks, after all.

I think if you were wanting to live in Forks, you should spend a week in a motel there. In Janurary. When its cold, wet, dark and the sidewalks are safely stored for the winter. If you enjoy yourself, Forks is for you.

You can always tell the direction someone parks their car in Forks: The north side grows mold.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM

18 posts, read 124,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceinaction View Post
I have two questions. We (our family) have been planning to move now for a few years, absolutely hating the desert. We have stayed in Vancouver a few times, but way too big. We both originally come from small towns. My husband's allergies are getting worse here in the high desert of Nevada. I was wondering if a high rain area would help. Are there many allergy complaints there? I also have two daughters and was wondering what the schools are like. Thanks in advance for the help.
Depends on the allergies, we have alot of plant life... so if you have any plant based allergies then they will still act up during the same seasons. About twice a year I spend a few weeks feeling like walking death unless I'm taking allergy meds, overall though it's no worse than many other places I've lived.

As for the schools I haven't been in one for 10 years but from what I gather they are ok, there's been alot of work to improve them. They are very clicky though, sports programs are good, lots of emphasis on computers. There's an amazing alternative school 7th grade and up, one of the main teachers there has won many teaching awards for washington state and nationally. Not your typical bad kids cast off school.

Best of luck finding a place to move!

Kerri

Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 AM

18 posts, read 124,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psprague View Post
I spent the weekend in Forks. Deer and bear season, et al. It rained, of course, but it is Forks, after all.

I think if you were wanting to live in Forks, you should spend a week in a motel there. In Janurary. When its cold, wet, dark and the sidewalks are safely stored for the winter. If you enjoy yourself, Forks is for you.

You can always tell the direction someone parks their car in Forks: The north side grows mold.
It's not mold, its moss and it's all over not just the north, but that's only if they sit parked for over a year. Honestly not the funniest Forks joke...

Old 11-06-2008, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,958 times
Default A little about Forks Washington you might want to know.

My best friend Sarah has lived in Forks WA for several years. We often go visit her and I can tell ya a little about this charming town from an outsiders view. As I drove through the forest that seems to engulf this small road, you will eventually get to this small little town. It felt as if I was in a fairy story. The surrounding are so very beautiful with thick trees, brush and wild flowers. (of course this was summer time) As I entered the town the speed limit went to 25. So be careful. The buildings are older and had a simple look but well cared for. The people are kind and welcoming but make sure you respond with the same courteous manor..(don’t take their kindness for weakness) lol..There are a lot of hard working people in this town and they pride themselves with there amazing ability to be the one of the larges lumber producer in America, yet still honor and respects the land and keeps the forest healthy. (Tree huggers stay away) Dont litter or they will tell ya to pick it up..Even if they have to drive to follow you to give you back your trash, they will.. Most of the men wear suspenders even the young men... The Elks club is the big hooplaaa there and if you decide to live there you have to join..and remember, don’t wear a hat into the Lodge..that’s a big no no.. There is not much crime there, because everybody knows everybody..and nobody would steal from a friend. (Right) Don’t be surprise that most every home has several guns and even the youngster are very knowledgeable on how to use them.. I noticed that most homes have several large dogs and they seem to wonder around the neighborhood. Some just lay in the road and you have to drive around them. Oh..also..don’t be surprised to see large elk in your yard grazing..Now that was freaky..but cool...but they are not there as a petting zoo..be careful and go inside when you see them. About the rain.. Yes. It does rain a lot there and it is over cast quit a bit..Me being from Salem Oregon, I am use to the rain, but this weather is darker with the surrounding forest that shadows this small town. The oceans are close and surrounded by forest. Don’t go out in the forest without someone familiar with the area. Not for the fear of Vampires but for bear, cougars, Elk and hunters. You must go the hill called the "F". Ask the locals they will tell ya how to get there..Winter time, expect alot of snow. It absolutely beautiful, but you wont get far in your BMW..trust me..As far as the single life, there is not much there. Most everyone is married and has kids. Nothing is private there, cause the town is so small so if you date someone be careful your not dating your neighbors wife or husband..lol..(for real) If your expecting to find high paying jobs there, forget it.. but its not as expensive to live there cause you have no place that tempts you to spend your money..lol.. The homes are NOT large and beautiful they are built to suit the climate. Make sure you have a generator cause the power goes out often in the winter...Make sure you get a home with a fireplace and Cell phone users..(forget it) house phones are a must..They have an awesome hospital and great shops to visit..Most people work at the prison or as a logger or the hospital or in the shops in town..everyone else drives to Port Angeles and that is an hour drive but beautiful. If you’re a local everyone pretty much knows you by name. They pretty much know all the people that live there and what they do or don’t do..lol.. I forewarn anyone that has an intention of moving to Forks to try and change this quiet town..You will be met with hostility. So..if you are really set on moving there, make sure you pack a riffle, suspenders, at least 2 dogs and a 4x4...also,, don't forget your smile..Any other question, feel free to ask.
lori
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington