Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:14 AM

52 posts, read 349,573 times

Advertisements

When the forecast first came out for Forks for the weekend (west facing slopes of the olympics, et al), it was for up to 14 inches of rain just on saturday. The rain event has since been moved up to today (friday) and downgraded to 'just' 10 inches.

People should realize this is not an 'unusual' event. Forks resides in one of the few temperate rain forests in the world. It rains from about the end of september to june and most people tend to visit june to september, and yes it is very nice, sunny and pleasant during that time.

This weekend in the last for general elk hunting out on the west end and I'll be there with bells and blaze orange on. (and I am very hungry). Personally I am hoping for some snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 AM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
One of our home is in PA but we have spent a lot of time in the Forks area over the years fishing, hunting etc. I agree with all of the above but allow me to highlight a couple of points. I really agree with the post that suggested if you're considering Forks, rent a hotel room there with your family for a week or two during the winter months. Wander around town, see what you think- try it on for size. If you can deal with the rainier and more gray time of the year there (where they measure rainfall in feet not inches! ) and you're not going "stir crazy" after a few weeks of the weather and pace, then I think you and your family will do fine in Forks and especially love summer and fall there. It doesn't quit raining at those times, just a whole lot less. There is no place more beautiful on earth (IMO) that western WA on a bright sunny day!

The other point I will leave you with is to consider what are your needs or what will your needs be in the future for access to such things as shopping variety, service on certain cars, easy access to specialty medical care etc. For example, (just being extreme to make the point! ) if your kids love to shop at the Nordstrom Rack, if your wife will need to get her BMW serviced by a brand dealer or if you fly commercially frequently for trips, business and so on, well... it's a bit of a drive from Forks to get such done. That drive can get old fast. In my experience these things aren't important to Forks residents and they like their town just the way it is! FWIW, I worked in Alaska as a college student and Forks really reminds me a lot of an Alaskan town. If has that same "feel" to me if you've spent any time in Alaska-

Good Luck!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 PM

18 posts, read 124,627 times
ok ok I have a few comments as a local who was not locally born.

The Elks club is the big hooplaaa there and if you decide to live there you have to join.. Ok this is sooooo not true I've only been here 4 times and 2 were for wedding receptions.

There is not much crime there, because everybody knows everybody..and nobody would steal from a friend. (Right) Not completely true, there is a fair amount of meth use going on at the moment and even though it is getting under some control there is still crime it's just a background activity.

I noticed that most homes have several large dogs and they seem to wonder around the neighborhood. Some just lay in the road and you have to drive around them. The dogs are a problem, it's not an acceptable thing but without an animal control facility it hasn't been getting dealt with but thankfully we will be getting some animal control again this year.

As far as the single life, there is not much there. Most everyone is married and has kids. Nothing is private there, cause the town is so small so if you date someone be careful your not dating your neighbors wife or husband..lol..(for real) There are alot of single people here just not alot of places to meet them excluding the bars or churches. But don't worry fresh meat is noticed in town quickly so if you are looking you won't have a hard time finding choices. I do agree about making sure they aren't married as there are a fair amount of indiscriminate people.

Make sure you have a generator cause the power goes out often in the winter...Make sure you get a home with a fireplace and Cell phone users..(forget it) house phones are a must.. Most people don't have a generator, the power isn't usually out long and most people just cook on wood stoves, bbq's or camp stoves, not a bid deal. As for cell service... Sprint gets a decent signal but doesn't have a local number Verizon is the main service and works fine.

If you’re a local everyone pretty much knows you by name. They pretty much know all the people that live there and what they do or don’t do..lol.. I forewarn anyone that has an intention of moving to Forks to try and change this quiet town..You will be met with hostility. I have lived here off and on for 15 years and went to school here for a bit and don't know everyone, there are too many people in town to know everyone. There is a reported population of over 3,000 in just Forks but the suffounding areas add alot more plus there are alot of illegal residents as well. Yes it's small but it's not soooo small we all know each other.

So..if you are really set on moving there, make sure you pack a riffle, suspenders, at least 2 dogs and a 4x4...also,, don't forget your smile..Any other question, feel free to ask.
lori Rifle...not riffle and this sounds extremely small minded... the rest of your post was mostly true and ballanced but this ending was not. I don't own a gun, suspenders, have one dog which is a Dauchsund and no 4x4. Lots more people like me in town too.[/quote]

Old 11-11-2008, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,536 times
I currently live in NJ and I want to rent a place out in forks. It seems one of the few places where my husband and I can get our life started peacefuly. Do you know if there would be any pre-school or day care centers willing to hire?

Old 11-15-2008, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,720 times
i really need to find an apartment in forks. the price really doesnt matter. i love that town and am so excited about trying to move there or close by. its just everywhere i have looked so far is showing me there are no apartments to rent. can someone help?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 PM

52 posts, read 349,573 times
Try the local paper, there is a couple:

forks forum

However, like with getting a job, being there is everything.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:46 PM

18 posts, read 124,627 times
There are quite a few apartments in Forks, many cater to low income but only one is exclusivly low income. Here are a few...

Peninsula Apartments (low income)
360-374-5853

Homestead Apartments (some are actual aparments others are small houses)
360-374-5604

Oxbow Apartments (fairly nice townhouse style appartments)
360-374-2650

There are also alot of "plexes" duplex, 4-plex, 8-plex etc. Check around with the realtors and you'll get more info too. And I'll see what else I can round up, those were just of the top of my head.

Kerri

Old 11-22-2008, 03:14 PM

43 posts, read 161,632 times
Look people...The Forks area is just a place Seattle people(central puget sound people) drive through to go to the beach,or camp at the rainforest.

The federal Govt.and the urban liberal WA politics run the entire W.Washington politics,so don't worry about any Missisisppi burning
type BS anywhere in the entire State,or the NW for that matter...Again,the fed runs the show..the locals are tame,and limited to
the land that they inherited from thier tree rapeing fore-fathers...some locals will try to make you feel like you need to fit in by ignoring you,but once you get past this issue,and find out that you don't need them to survive,you will then realize that you have moved into a huge National Park.

As far as Vampires...you won't find any like in the movies,the Vampires (mold) will find you and wear your immune system down after about five years and take over your body.

If you live in a place like NJ or NY you can compare Forks with Seaside hights,same deal,just with a NW theme,Forks is just a place where Seattle people go to play on the weekend.

Good place to retire IMHO

Best to relocate to Seattle first.

I'm telling you people this because some of the "locals" just want to see people suffer when relocation goes bad...its a twisted form of entertainment and validation for them it seems,so if you do move to W.Washington and have a hard time don't go to them for help,you don't need them,and they will NOT help you.

It is not fair to lie to people at this time of economic crisis...its un-American.

Forks is a town in "Western Washinton"and TOTALLY dependent on the FED and and the money from the "central puget sound" Port Angeles is just another suburban town outside the super city of King,pierce,snohomish counties.

Forks is the gas station at the beach.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 21,457 times
i'm looking for a place to rent in forks. but i'm not getting far on information. HELP??
please, and thanks.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 21,457 times
are you a local at forks?? or seattle?? i lvoe the scenery i've seen. and i would like it. but i'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington