Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times

Advertisements

RENTALS: Have you checked the resources in posts #11 and #27 in this thread?
It's a very small town so there aren't a lot of possibilities. The population as of July 2007 was 3,221. Very small.

There are no other towns near Forks, as you can see on a map. The nearest place where there would be rentals is Port Angeles, which is 55 miles from Forks on a 2-lane, often dangerous road. Keep trying the resources referenced above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM

260 posts, read 925,872 times
I've noticed people doing the same thing about Sequim, they make comments about a town they never have lived in.

I was also going to mention the Clallam Bay prison, it seems like they always have openings.

My cousin lives in Forks (do you know Rod Fleck by any chance) and he tells me there are a lot of community events.

I love Forks...

Cindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerriiskk View Post
Ok this is getting really old... Yes there are conservatives in Forks... just like every small town in America. But I happen to know alot of "colorful" people in this town. Including a transgender male to female, many gay people male and female, people who are just different because they are, and honestly I don't get around alot. My mother knows a huge amount of people in this town and she's not a conservative person at all and is well accepted. She's lived here for the better part of 20 years and knows just about everyone in all walks of life. Forks is a friendly and accepting town if you give it half a chance.

As for not having alot to do, no it doesn't really unless you are an outdoor person. People that hike and love the outdoors seem to really love it here. I am not an outdoor person and grew up mostly in warmer climates, but even I have to admit that Forks does have it's charms. Sadly those charms don't include great resteraunts or lots of amusement based businesses. But they do include a lot of open-minded and friendly people. Otherwise it's just like every other small town I've ever lived in. People who love city life don't like it here, people who like small towns seem to love it if they can stand the weather. Then others like me, love it for what it is even though they wish there were a few more things to do and one good resteraunt.

Side note... it is a small town but there are jobs if you are willing to work they just aren't all in specialized fields most are customer service based. And the prison in Clallam Bay and the prison camp out in the Hoh Rainforest offer alot of good paying jobs. The cost of living here is very cheap compared to other areas I've lived. Oh and Port Angeles is not 2 hours away... it's like an hour to an hour and 15 minutes at the worst.

Forks isn't a bad place and honestly people who don't live here shouldn't act like they know everything about the area and that it's all bad. It might not be for you but alot of people love it here.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:26 AM

9 posts, read 43,241 times
Hehehe, I'm married to him Cindi. This is Cheri Fleck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
I've noticed people doing the same thing about Sequim, they make comments about a town they never have lived in.

I was also going to mention the Clallam Bay prison, it seems like they always have openings.

My cousin lives in Forks (do you know Rod Fleck by any chance) and he tells me there are a lot of community events.

I love Forks...

Cindi

Old 12-27-2008, 12:49 AM

I work with the homeless in Forks. For some reason....we get a lot of people that decide to locate to Forks simply because it is pretty. It is a beautiful place, but I can't imagine moving to a remote rural town without a job in place personally.

Yes we have 3 affordable housing projects in Forks, and the waiting list is 12-16 months. We have 4 shelters in our agencies for the homeless and we cannot find affordable housing for our clients DAILY.

If you have money, then renting a full priced house or apartment would not be a problem...if you can find a unit. I call the local apartment dealers and real estate companies trying to find rentals daily and we usually cannot find a rental for folks. Yes there are rentals in the paper, but folks will not rent to you if you can't prove income (ie a job). That's the same anywhere in the United States.

There was a post that said "live in Forks for 1 to 2 weeks and try it out before you decide to move"....my goodness....I couldn't agree more. I have seen more people move here due to the beauty...but they have not been able to find either housing or employment in a timely manner. Most jobs require specific degrees and if you have that, you can apply, but it doesn't guarantee the job of course.

Forks is a wonderful, tight-knit, pioneering town. We embrace our uniqueness, our rain, and our neighbors as our extended family. But we do have crime (what city does not in America?), we do have snow and lots of black ice in the winter. Yes hunting is big...but so is hiking, surfing at LaPush, fishing on the lakes, ocean and rivers. We have festivals and events and we raise huge amounts of money for our high school seniors every year. It's a city that I am very proud of. But its a city faced with the downturn over the last 15 years of logging, but tourism has always been a wonderful asset to the area. There is the Department of Natural Resources, the local schools (Quillayute Valley School District), Forks Community Hospital, Quilute Tribe, Make Tribe (Neah Bay), Hoh River Tribe(south of Forks) and the two prisons (Olympic Corrections and Clallam Bay) if you want to try to the larger employers of the area.

I have an elk herd roaming through my yard right now (and I live right in town), a bald eagle flew over my house this afternoon while I was shoveling wet, goopy snow off my driveway. BUT...I live an hour and a half from Wal-Mart and an hour and a half from Costco....and Home Depot...the two nearest "big stores" (we have NO McDonald's for example). We get rock slides, mud slides and washouts where we are cut-off from Aberdeen/Hoquiam to the south and north to Port Angeles. But once again, if you like the pioneering spirit and have a means to support yourself...then move here. If you think that you can find a house and a job on the fly, I will tell you that its darn near impossible. Specialized jobs are few and far between and are sought after by the locals first.

But if you like the rain, and you love nature and you don't want city life, then Forks is the town for you.

Cheers to you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.b.c.o. View Post
i'm looking for a place to rent in forks. but i'm not getting far on information. HELP??
please, and thanks.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackey21707 View Post
I currently live in NJ and I want to rent a place out in forks. It seems one of the few places where my husband and I can get our life started peacefuly. Do you know if there would be any pre-school or day care centers willing to hire?
We have two in the area, one is Sunshine & Rainbows in Forks (daycare) and Quilute Day Care in LaPush, they don't have openings right now I don't think, but that can change quickly I'm sure.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
RENTALS: Have you checked the resources in posts #11 and #27 in this thread?
It's a very small town so there aren't a lot of possibilities. The population as of July 2007 was 3,221. Very small.

There are no other towns near Forks, as you can see on a map. The nearest place where there would be rentals is Port Angeles, which is 55 miles from Forks on a 2-lane, often dangerous road. Keep trying the resources referenced above.

The best source of rentals in Forks is Lunsford & Associates, they hold a LOT of house and apartment rentals in the area. The other real estate company is Real Estate 101.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,811 times
Kerri,
Hi^^ I am new to this forum. I really was looking for a place out in Forks too! No, not just from Twilight but I heard from an old friend that it is quiet and beautiful and the rent is way cheaper than AZ. Thanks for your time! - Mandy

Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 AM

18 posts, read 124,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forks Transplant View Post
We have two in the area, one is Sunshine & Rainbows in Forks (daycare) and Quilute Day Care in LaPush, they don't have openings right now I don't think, but that can change quickly I'm sure.
There are more daycares... they are just smaller in-home centers, usually 2-3 staff and 12ish children. Otherwise there are alot of people who just babysit. The centers go through spurts for hiring and love it when someone comes it with experience.

Hello theniftyqueen If you'd like to send me more info about your personal situation I'd be willing to help provide info to help you in making your decision.

Kerri

Old 02-14-2009, 11:03 PM

100 posts, read 306,562 times
I love to visit Forks, but like kerriiskk says, it turely is a small town. I would not move to Forks in hopes of finding a job. And yes you do have to LOVE the outdoors (like many of us do up here in washington) because there is nothing to do. Try Sequim-the town is growing. But please do not tell to many people because us washingtorinas like to keep washington a secert!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:18 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theniftyqueen View Post
Kerri,
Hi^^ I am new to this forum. I really was looking for a place out in Forks too! No, not just from Twilight but I heard from an old friend that it is quiet and beautiful and the rent is way cheaper than AZ. Thanks for your time! - Mandy
And where do you plan to work?
As you have doubtless learned from reading the Forks threads here on City-Data, there are basically no jobs in Forks.
There are hundreds of other places in Washington that are quiet and beautiful, some of which have rents lower than in Arizona. Are you aware of the huge difference in climate between western WA and Arizona, and the galactic difference in climate between Forks and most of Arizona?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington