Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 07:08 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What do y'all think about the news report today, that the legislature approved up to a 24% hike in car insurance rates? Apparently insurance companies asked for the rate hike to cover higher repair costs, and also a spike in accidents. Fatal accidents are up, too, and expected to increase even more.
https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...d-dd2bf161d50c

This doesn't seem to make WA very retiree-friendly...
People are driving like maniacs. Cars are bigger, more expensive, and less agile. I think that is the bigger problem. Insurance rates are just a symptom of that fact.

What do you want the government to do? Put the state on a road diet and reduce speeds everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 08:46 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, King County has its weather, and the East side has mostly different weather. Actually for someone who is OK with overcast and light rain, Seattle area weather is mild, the winters are much less harsh than we have near Yakima and Tri-Cities. Summer is cooler on the West side as well.

All of WA is not like Seattle. Living here, you should realize that.
A friend of mine from the Sacramento area for decades always maintained that the PNW has the best climate in US. From my days at WWU, I tend to agree. Not too hot (or very rarely), not too cold, no snow at sea level and a nice mix of clouds and sun. Wet? LOL. It’s a desert compared to SE Alaska.
And btw, tons of Alaskans from all parts of our state have retired or will be retiring in Washington.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:51 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
I had to go yet again to Swedish Seattle, pay $13 for underground parking & watch an idiot in a giant spaceship, also known as a lifted Ford F250, go backwards & forwards 4 times just to get around the support column in the parking garage. Those vehicles are too big for Seattle urban driving.

I saw my insurance jump astronomically last fall, then again this spring, & talked endlessly to a agent about decreasing my coverage to afford my insurance on my modest vehicles

In conclusion, the entire state is supporting the driving habits of one urban area..

Old 04-05-2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I had to go yet again to Swedish Seattle, pay $13 for underground parking & watch an idiot in a giant spaceship, also known as a lifted Ford F250, go backwards & forwards 4 times just to get around the support column in the parking garage. Those vehicles are too big for Seattle urban driving.

I saw my insurance jump astronomically last fall, then again this spring, & talked endlessly to a agent about decreasing my coverage to afford my insurance on my modest vehicles

In conclusion, the entire state is supporting the driving habits of one urban area..
You don't think people drive just as much if not more in suburban and rural parts of the state?

And you don't think there more lifted F250s in redneck towns like Longview than in Seattle?

Old 04-06-2024, 12:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You don't think people drive just as much if not more in suburban and rural parts of the state?

And you don't think there more lifted F250s in redneck towns like Longview than in Seattle?

You missed my point. A lifted redneck truck has no purpose in a limited-space area like Seattle. Stick with your pricey Teslas & Rivians. Also, drivers in Seattle are insane. I see at least 2 wrecks every time I am there. Seattle drivers make LA drivers look like grannies.

Old 04-06-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You missed my point. A lifted redneck truck has no purpose in a limited-space area like Seattle. Stick with your pricey Teslas & Rivians. Also, drivers in Seattle are insane. I see at least 2 wrecks every time I am there. Seattle drivers make LA drivers look like grannies.
Oh, I agree. Those ridiculous enormous trucks (lifted or not) have no place in cities. Or anywhere really.

Seattle also has 10x more drivers than anyplace else in Washington. Are Seattle drivers more likely to get into wrecks on a per-capita or per-mile driven basis than folks living in rural Washington? I have no idea. But statistically speaking, rural highways tend to be the most dangerous in both Washington and elsewhere in the country.

When I have taught at rural high schools there was always annual student carnage on the highways. At urban high schools? Almost never. And when it happens it isn't as deadly.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:29 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
Quote:
People are driving like maniacs. Cars are bigger, more expensive, and less agile. I think that is the bigger problem. Insurance rates are just a symptom of that fact.

What do you want the government to do? Put the state on a road diet and reduce speeds everywhere?
There seems to be a serious accident on I5 or arterials almost every day, many of them fatal. People are looking at cellphones, one way driver committing suicide, inexperienced truckers, left lane campers, speeders, reckless drivers, no deterrence of bad driving. This one breaks my heart: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/wha...OPZIZBZAVZ4MM/

Old 04-07-2024, 08:41 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:

I was just asking for people's thoughts. These big insurance rate hikes aren't happening in other parts of the US, except maybe CA and a couple of other states, I'm guessing.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:42 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:

Thank you. This is helpful to know.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was just asking for people's thoughts. These big insurance rate hikes aren't happening in other parts of the US, except maybe CA and a couple of other states, I'm guessing.
My insurance broker is on the WA ins board.

He says... Watch Out! 60% of the WA registered cars coming at you are not insured. 20-30% of those drivers are not licensed (for various reasons). One of my neighbors has not been licensed or insured for 30+ yrs. How often have you been stopped and asked? Likely never. So why bother. (Not my viewpoint, but there's).

Thus, the rest of us pay dearly for those expressing their USA freedoms. In many, many realms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington