Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 12:24 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times

Advertisements

New Jersey is the one that surprises me. And yea I know not all of New Jersey is like metro NY, but just the state being in the Top 5 is interesting. Not a state I would typically consider moving to, in my retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 12:49 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Is Washington like Oregon? That is, TWO different places depending on which side of the Rockies one is on? If so, then the data needs to be redefined to what part of the state retirees are moving to.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:00 PM

Not really. I mean, the direct answer is yes, Eastern & Western Washington are different in many ways. But Western Washington attracts a lot of retirees in Clark County, Clallam County (home to Sunny Sequim, retiree heaven), Whatcom County, etc. Eastern Washington I'm sure also attracts a lot of retirees in the Tri-Cities and probably in Spokane(?), but other than that, there are limited markets unless retirees really want to live in a smaller town like Moses Lake or Ellensburg.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:33 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Not really. I mean, the direct answer is yes, Eastern & Western Washington are different in many ways. But Western Washington attracts a lot of retirees in Clark County, Clallam County (home to Sunny Sequim, retiree heaven), Whatcom County, etc. Eastern Washington I'm sure also attracts a lot of retirees in the Tri-Cities and probably in Spokane(?), but other than that, there are limited markets unless retirees really want to live in a smaller town like Moses Lake or Ellensburg.
Is it more than that? When I studied Oregon in the first decade of this century, West of the Rockies was very wet while East of the Rockies was cold and dry to being semi-arid.

Is Washington like that as well? Does the climate play a significant role in where they move to?

Yes, No, I don't know....just asking.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:40 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Is it more than that? When I studied Oregon in the first decade of this century, West of the Rockies was very wet while East of the Rockies was cold and dry to being semi-arid.

Is Washington like that as well? Does the climate play a significant role in where they move to?

Yes, No, I don't know....just asking.
Yes, both Oregon and Washington have retirees gravitating to both sides of the Cascades. I don't know that one state favors one side more than the other. In both states, the west side is more rainy with milder winters. The east side is much drier with colder winters.

In Washington the retirement meccas west of the Cascades are places like Whidbey Island, Anacortes, the San Juans, Sequim, and so forth. As well as just the larger cities. There are a lot of retirees in western WA.

East of the Cascades in Washington the retirement meccas are places like Wenatchee and surrounding communities and the Tri Cities. Also perhaps few smaller places like the Methow Valley, Walla Walla, and the Spokane Area (and Coeur d'Alene ID which is more or less part of the greater Spokane area)

In Oregon the retirement meccas west of the Cascades are the Oregon coast, Willamette Valley, and Rogue Valley around Medford and Ashland which are all popular with retirees.

East of the Cascades in Oregon most of the retirees are in Central OR around Bend, Redmond, and smaller nearby communities like Sunriver, Prineville, Madras, etc. Also a few places like Hood River. Most of the rest of Eastern OR is less populated than Eastern WA because it lacks water. All the cities in Eastern WA are on major rivers (the Columbia or Spokane River).

Old 03-18-2024, 06:41 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Is Washington like Oregon? That is, TWO different places depending on which side of the Rockies one is on? If so, then the data needs to be redefined to what part of the state retirees are moving to.

It's the Cascades, not the Rockies, but yes, they are different distinct environments. The west side is wetter and greener, with forest and salt water shoreline. The mountains have snow and ski resorts, the east side has both high desert areas and agricultural lands. Whatever kind of climate you like, Washington has it.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:46 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
I don't understand New Jersey, I thought it is a very highly-taxed state, plus weather extremes.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:32 AM

208 posts, read 145,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I don't understand New Jersey, I thought it is a very highly-taxed state, plus weather extremes.
Probably NYers who want to stay near the metro for whatever reason.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:24 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
To each his own. I cannot wait to move permanently out of the PNW. I cannot even imagine spending my silver years there. Great to visit one in a while and in summer.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:52 AM

If you only like it here during the summer, then you definitely aren't a true blue northwesterner. Probably better suited somewhere like Texas or Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington