Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 06:56 PM

10 posts, read 7,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
OP, please consider the WA side of the Columbia River.
I'd get a downward salary adjustment there, unfortunately I think from Skagit to Lewis counties is as far as Seattle salary band goes.

It the grand scheme it's a pretty small drop in the total bucket, but it's hard psychologically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 07:42 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Northbank of the Columbia R. is warmer than the Puget Sound region.
You can grow full size, heirloom tomatoes.
You can compensate the lower income by shopping across the bridge.
You are closer to a major airport. Often for an international flight out of SEA, the connecting flight from PDX is included.

I understand.
Good House Hunting.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:28 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
It's true, Washington state suburbs of Portland, OR are in a good position, no income tax (if your job site is in WA) and no sales tax on the OR side. Portland metro has a very different vibe and feel than Seattle metro (IMHO) so the OP should be aware just to make sure they would like either/or.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:35 AM

Idea?
Rent a 2+2 for 2500-3000/Mo to live in. Rent another unit, 1+1 as an office for 2200-2500. Preferably in the same building. The office unit would be fully tax deductible as a office expense. In total, you may come out cheaper than buying a larger home and with more flexibility.
Currently there is a very competitive apartment market on the Eastside, as apartment builds are ahead of the Eastside light-rail completion. Tech layoffs-hiring freeze are causing increasing vacancies.

Here is place in Burien, west of SeaTac. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...52873345_zpid/ . No clue on desirability.
I hope you are using a RE agent.

Here is a 4+3 rental apartment. Redmond. Nice. Walk score 90. https://www.zillow.com/apartments/re...square/CcT2QV/ We live in Redmond. We walk everywhere in this area. Bus will take us to Seattle and beyond. SeaTac is 30-40 minutes by car. Bus + light-rail is 90 minutes (1 fare). We do have a car for big grocery runs. I will soon resume e-bike treks (I got a new e-bike).
Another Bothell. 4+3,https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...53619771_zpid/

If your company is paying a relocation home purchase, I understand your problem.

Last edited by leastprime; 02-20-2024 at 01:01 AM..

Old 02-20-2024, 09:43 AM

10 posts, read 7,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Idea?
Rent a 2+2 for 2500-3000/Mo to live in. Rent another unit, 1+1 as an office for 2200-2500. Preferably in the same building. The office unit would be fully tax deductible as a office expense. In total, you may come out cheaper than buying a larger home and with more flexibility.
Currently there is a very competitive apartment market on the Eastside, as apartment builds are ahead of the Eastside light-rail completion. Tech layoffs-hiring freeze are causing increasing vacancies.

Here is place in Burien, west of SeaTac. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...52873345_zpid/ . No clue on desirability.
I hope you are using a RE agent.

Here is a 4+3 rental apartment. Redmond. Nice. Walk score 90. https://www.zillow.com/apartments/re...square/CcT2QV/ We live in Redmond. We walk everywhere in this area. Bus will take us to Seattle and beyond. SeaTac is 30-40 minutes by car. Bus + light-rail is 90 minutes (1 fare). We do have a car for big grocery runs. I will soon resume e-bike treks (I got a new e-bike).
Another Bothell. 4+3,https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...53619771_zpid/

If your company is paying a relocation home purchase, I understand your problem.
This is certainly an interesting idea, but wouldn't the office unit be tax deductible only for 1099 income? I don't think a W2 income can get any office deductions even when working from home. I would be happy to learn otherwise.

Company isn't paying anything, this is a self-directed move (WFH->WFH)

Old 02-20-2024, 09:54 AM

Consult your tax advisor. Federal.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:07 AM

Consult Mr Bing, M. Chat, M. Meta, M google

1099 contractor, probably .

Old 02-20-2024, 05:37 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
It's true, Washington state suburbs of Portland, OR are in a good position, no income tax (if your job site is in WA) and no sales tax on the OR side. Portland metro has a very different vibe and feel than Seattle metro (IMHO) so the OP should be aware just to make sure they would like either/or.
I think the differences between the Portland Metro and Greater Seattle are sometimes understated, as in a lot of times people really prefer/gravitate towards one over the other. My friends living around Portland have yet to come up this way for a visit, and we have been down to PDX exactly once since moving up here. Yes, they're both PNW regions, but it's kind of like comparing San Diego to LA, or SF to Sacramento (probably the better comparison). I do think Portland has a lot of scenic beauty in Mt Hood, Forest Park, and the Columbia River Gorge, but I think the downtown area is way too far gone to see it as a selling point, whereas Seattle has really taken noticeable strides to clean up its act (despite having a long, long way to go). I'm not trying to bash Portland as I can understand why people might prefer it over Seattle (cheaper, quirkier, less corporate, more laid back), but I would sooner move to Bend or Eugene if we left WA for Oregon.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:51 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I think the differences between the Portland Metro and Greater Seattle are sometimes understated, as in a lot of times people really prefer/gravitate towards one over the other. My friends living around Portland have yet to come up this way for a visit, and we have been down to PDX exactly once since moving up here. Yes, they're both PNW regions, but it's kind of like comparing San Diego to LA, or SF to Sacramento (probably the better comparison). I do think Portland has a lot of scenic beauty in Mt Hood, Forest Park, and the Columbia River Gorge, but I think the downtown area is way too far gone to see it as a selling point, whereas Seattle has really taken noticeable strides to clean up its act (despite having a long, long way to go). I'm not trying to bash Portland as I can understand why people might prefer it over Seattle (cheaper, quirkier, less corporate, more laid back), but I would sooner move to Bend or Eugene if we left WA for Oregon.
Well written, I agree, though Portland does have some amazing food trucks!

Old 02-21-2024, 10:42 AM

comment bout house renting in Seattle area:
In Seattle area, some landlords rent their previous home because 1) renting the house out is profitable because of its low mortgage loan rate; 2) selling the house would generate a large profit (bought years ago) that would be largely taxed away; 3) a 1031 property exchange would be difficult in this area; 4) some of us want the cash flow and depreciation schedule; 5) and of course long-term investment.

example: this house
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellevue/3...08/home/432099
{I have never seen and cannot verify actual picture or condition of house. Nice location however.} Randomly selected for 4+2.
Houses in this area would sell in a "normal market", +$1,5mill. And a realistic rental price +$5000/mo.
however, there seems to a strong resistance to anything above $4000/mo.

disclaimer.
a landlord of 1 rental house. Above Reasons #1-5.

Good Luck
Use a RE agent.

Last edited by leastprime; 02-21-2024 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington