Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 07:00 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I agree with western Federal Way (and Des Moines outside of the flight path) being more desirable than Everett, personally. For one, you've got great views, as long as you're by the Sound, and you're also in between Tacoma and Seattle and not far as from SeaTac which is 10x better than Paine Field..
Paine Field was just getting started with commercial airline service when Covid hit. Now it has to start almost from scratch again. But it's much more convenient to residents of north Seattle and the northern suburbs, needless to say, than SeaTac. It will take it time to build up service, but I think it's promising, though Covid was a big setback. I hope Paine Field is able to make a go of it. That whole area is experiencing a lot of growth, and could support an airport. I was happy to see Alaska Airline using it, as well as United, IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 09:03 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
O4k, I dare you to drive to Grand Avenue Park in Historic North Everett on a nice day, stroll around the surrounding streets (Rucker, Hoyt) then walk over the pedestrian bridge down to the marina, have a cold beer at Scuttlebutt Brewery or dinner on the waterfront, tell me you still don't find this part of Everett charming. I dare you .
Fair enough and I do like a challenge I'll wait until summer, but the parts I've seen of Everett (downtown in particular) haven't been anything to get excited about, but I do realize there are desirable parts, just like every other city in WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Paine Field was just getting started with commercial airline service when Covid hit. Now it has to start almost from scratch again. But it's much more convenient to residents of north Seattle and the northern suburbs, needless to say, than SeaTac. It will take it time to build up service, but I think it's promising, though Covid was a big setback. I hope Paine Field is able to make a go of it. That whole area is experiencing a lot of growth, and could support an airport. I was happy to see Alaska Airline using it, as well as United, IIRC.
I'm sure if you need a regional fligh/West Coast flight, it's probably more convenient than SeaTac if you're north of Seattle and south of Bellingham, but international travel, let alone flights to the East Coast, aren't happening if you want to fly direct.

Also, SeaTac (while conveniently located for ME) is a kind of a hot mess. I griped about SFO when I lived in the Bay and preferred flying out of Oakland pre-pandemic, but it's just a huge hassle to pick people up, and unless you've got Clear + or TSA Pre-Check, it's an absolute nightmare during summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Another thing about north Sno County/Everett/Marysville: not very Asian. It's a very white (though not completely) formerly blue collar area so the feel is going to be very different than south or east of Seattle. Boeing is big influence in that area.

There are pockets of bad drugs/crime/homeless.

The further out you go (as in Marysville/Arlington) the more chance of running into some old racist views. The area is changing, but why choose one of those areas when you have other choices.

People mostly live there because it's close to their work. Edited to add: And don't underestimate the traffic around Everett. It's some of the worst. Especially when the Boeing factory changes shifts.
With an 800k-$1M budget, they should look into Anacortes. We're happy where we're at, but it's super desirable and for good reason.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 02-18-2024 at 09:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2024, 11:34 PM

10 posts, read 7,153 times
Quote:
With an 800k-$1M budget, they should look into Anacortes. We're happy where we're at, but it's super desirable and for good reason.
Where are you located if I may ask? We've had two offers declined already (both ~4% over asking) and are starting to feel demotivated even though this is still early on.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:27 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomotac View Post
Where are you located if I may ask? We've had two offers declined already (both ~4% over asking) and are starting to feel demotivated even though this is still early on.
Why do you think you have to BUY a home before you know the area? It might be easier if you rent temporarily. This will also give you time to figure out the issues of daycare -----> preschool -----> school availability and logistics.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:19 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

The main drawback is that Anacortes is a long way to both Sea-Tac and Paine Field.

Anacortes is a super nice place (minus the refinery smell that saturates the town periodically) and there is a shuttle to the airport, but it's a long way if you travel frequently. And you have to get through Everett traffic.

It's also in Island County, so it's under the same county governance as Camano, San Juans and Whidbey.

Anacortes would be a great place to raise kids if you can make it work with jobs and commute. Lots of parks, nice community, access to beaches and the ferry to the San Juans and Guemes. Housing is very tight for both rentals and buying.

But again, it's very,very white, skews older and not much of an Asian population. Just a few Asian restaurants. The main retail area (where you can buy clothes or shoes etc.) is north of Mt. Vernon in Burlington, so it requires a freeway drive. The basics like grocery and hardware can all be found in town.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:42 AM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
OP, if you're WFH, cast a wider net, look at Kitsap County. Look at Silverdale, Poulsbo, possibly Bremerton & Port Orchard.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:59 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Take a look also at Gig Harbor, desirable community within your price range, probably a 35-40 minute drive to Seatac Airport during non-traffic hours.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:29 PM

10 posts, read 7,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why do you think you have to BUY a home before you know the area?
FOMO, what else lol. We are thinking about renting but it's also hard to find good 4 bedroom rentals.

Quote:
OP, if you're WFH, cast a wider net, look at Kitsap County. Look at Silverdale, Poulsbo, possibly Bremerton & Port Orchard.
I have some sort of a irrational issue with not being on the mainland. Not sure if this is utterly stupid or not, but if there's some sort of a natural disaster there are only about 2 roads to get out of Dodge. The likelihood of that ever happening are minuscule but it's hard to get around mentally. Same can be said for Gig Harbor (which otherwise looks great), but at least it's much closer to mainland.

That being said, it's definitely worth looking into more.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:40 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomotac View Post
FOMO, what else lol. We are thinking about renting but it's also hard to find good 4 bedroom rentals.

I have some sort of a irrational issue with not being on the mainland. Not sure if this is utterly stupid or not, but if there's some sort of a natural disaster there are only about 2 roads to get out of Dodge. The likelihood of that ever happening are minuscule but it's hard to get around mentally. Same can be said for Gig Harbor (which otherwise looks great), but at least it's much closer to mainland.

That being said, it's definitely worth looking into more.
Not irrational at all. Gig Harbor has a couple escape routes if it ever came to that (locusts, rats, Nazis or anything ). This really is one of the nicest places in Pierce County, and would also give you some housing options without the bidding wars you have found yourself in.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:02 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,497,585 times
OP, please consider the WA side of the Columbia River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington