Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:16 PM

277 posts, read 306,428 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are thinking of starting a family soon. We both have strong careers, so one person taking care of a child full time isn't realistic. However, we do both work from home... which might get more difficult with a baby in the house?

I'm a plan-ahead-with-spreadsheets kind of gal, and I'm trying to figure out how much we should expect to pay for childcare. And more importantly, what we should even think about in terms of care? Full time nanny? Someone living-in? Daycare type setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:24 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
It depends on where you are located.

Honestly based on the sounds of your post it sounds like you are both more into your careers than you ever would be a child. The child should come first...the wording of your post just makes it sound like a baby would be inconvenient to you.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It depends on where you are located.

Honestly based on the sounds of your post it sounds like you are both more into your careers than you ever would be a child. The child should come first...the wording of your post just makes it sound like a baby would be inconvenient to you.
Plenty of people choose to continue their careers while also having a family. Don't see why that's a bad thing.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 PM

539 posts, read 566,617 times
The new life you want to create should come first and foremost. Babies cannot be planned with spreadsheets.

Just imagine, can you personally afford someone else's wages? Daycare will be a bit cheaper but if you're actually looking for a nanny you will be paying them at least minimum wage because you would be employing them.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:41 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
I've worked from home for all of my children's lives. When my first was born, I had a nanny come to the house. She was only here from 10-3 and it was $225 a week. My son would take a nap from 3-5 so I had those two hours to continue to work. When he was 8 months old, he started daycare. I think that was $180-$190 or so a week. That was 9 years ago. I'm not sure of the current rates these days. As he got older and then we added his sister it was easier to work with them not being at home.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Right many people do continue a career because they want to or have to. Most people dont need to ask about this on a forum. If you truly want a baby your career should be #2. The life of the baby is the most important and it won't matter how 'strong' your careers are. The vibe from your post was more of, well i want a baby but my career is so amazing so i cant commit full time to the kid.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:57 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
Plenty of people choose to continue their careers while also having a family. Don't see why that's a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing to continue your career, you and your husband should make the decision that works best for you.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Right many people do continue a career because they want to or have to. Most people dont need to ask about this on a forum. If you truly want a baby your career should be #2. The life of the baby is the most important and it won't matter how 'strong' your careers are. The vibe from your post was more of, well i want a baby but my career is so amazing so i cant commit full time to the kid.
I'm asking about childcare costs and best way to arrange that childcare if I'm working from home, not whether I should continue my career or not. I'm also trying to plan my finances around these decisions. Because these are important things that I have no experience with - and something I want to plan ahead for.

Sorry you seem to be interpreting all kinds of strange things about my life priorities from my post based on the "vibe" you're feeling.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
Hubby and I are thinking of starting a family soon. We both have strong careers, so one person taking care of a child full time isn't realistic. However, we do both work from home... which might get more difficult with a baby in the house?

I'm a plan-ahead-with-spreadsheets kind of gal, and I'm trying to figure out how much we should expect to pay for childcare. And more importantly, what we should even think about in terms of care? Full time nanny? Someone living-in? Daycare type setup?
WILL get more difficult! I don't know how flexible your jobs are, or if they can be done at different times of the day, or if they have to be done during normal business hours. All of that would factor in.

I think it would be safe to plan for a full time nanny. If you have an easy baby and/or flexible hours, maybe a part time nanny would be enough.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Just stop. That's not what she asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting