Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 02:56 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times

Advertisements

Simple, experienced based (among family) observation here. Several of us have now joined the "breakthrough" ranks.

"The vaccinated readily contract and pass on the delta variant, yet experience symptoms more in line with a common cold or seasonal allergies".

1. The vaccines do work in eliminating or reducing the symptoms of the vaccinated when they contract the delta variant. Most of my family got the vax and they were ok.

2. The vaccines currently DO NOT WORK in preventing the spread of the delta variant. There is no point in a mandate when it doesn't stop the spread of the virus. One family member opted not to vax due to high risk of clotting. While they had a tougher time with delta, it was better than having a stroke or a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in lung).

Old 11-22-2021, 04:04 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,168 times
What’s the percentage likelihood of catching Covid if vaccinated versus not vaccinated? How does it change based on time since vaxxed?

What is your definition of ‘work’ versus not work? Do you have a percentage in mind?

What’s the Ro in an unvaxxed population versus a vaxxed population? The death rate? The strain on resources? The number of health care workers who resign due to burnout and abuse?

Why is there no point in a mandate if it doesn’t prevent the spread. Aren’t there other benefits?

What about boosters. If vaccination plus boosters every six months to a year prevented the spread to your level of comfort, is that justification for a mandate (or a strong incentive, like no longer covering the cost of care if you get sick, and charging an insurance surcharge to the undervaccinated)?

What’s the percentage likelihood of clotting from the vaccine versus from Covid?

Old 11-22-2021, 09:03 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
This is one of the most pernicious anti-vaccine talking point. It also happens to be false. Not surprised given the the source it is coming from.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...talking-point/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...690-3/fulltext

Old 11-23-2021, 01:32 AM

85 posts, read 69,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Simple, experienced based (among family) observation here. Several of us have now joined the "breakthrough" ranks.

"The vaccinated readily contract and pass on the delta variant, yet experience symptoms more in line with a common cold or seasonal allergies".

1. The vaccines do work in eliminating or reducing the symptoms of the vaccinated when they contract the delta variant. Most of my family got the vax and they were ok.

2. The vaccines currently DO NOT WORK in preventing the spread of the delta variant. There is no point in a mandate when it doesn't stop the spread of the virus. One family member opted not to vax due to high risk of clotting. While they had a tougher time with delta, it was better than having a stroke or a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in lung).

You either have no understanding of what you're writing about, or your own irrelevant experiences have biased your writing so much that it has become pointless.

You didn't acquire Covid because the vaccines "do not work", you acquired Covid because you were doing stupid things around other people.

If vaccines were supposed to prevent the spread of the disease, it wouldn't have taken decades to eradicate Polio from all but a couple of remaining countries. If vaccines were supposed to prevent the spread of the disease, it wouldn't have taken decades between the first vaccinations and the final case of polio in the U.S. (Covid has been 'known' for just a couple of years)

Now step-up and accept personal responsibility for your own outcome, having practically zero to do with the vaccine, which was only targeting reducing the severity of Covid's impact.

Any vaccine "mandate" would only be secondary, and a situation of a governing body accepting less than it truly needs (which, of course, would be the 'mandated' staying-at-home) to passify the idiots all around our society.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:09 AM

302 posts, read 177,304 times
I recommend people pass on the vax and turn off the tv. Covid will disappear from their life. The best precaution someone can make is to take extra good care of your health. It doesn't come from a needle. People want an easy way out because they're lazy and let establishments think for them.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:44 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman05 View Post
I recommend people pass on the vax and turn off the tv. Covid will disappear from their life. The best precaution someone can make is to take extra good care of your health. It doesn't come from a needle. People want an easy way out because they're lazy and let establishments think for them.

And get off the internet or at least train yourself to only visit very particular sites. It's hard, but it works.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:49 AM

439 posts, read 423,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman05 View Post
Yup.

I do this. No issues. I had covid in March *shrug* By far not the worst flu I have had.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:17 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManFromGlad View Post
You didn't acquire Covid because the vaccines "do not work", you acquired Covid because you were doing stupid things around other people.
Seriously? This comment may be one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

So everyone who's ever got Covid got it because they were "doing stupid things"?

Do you mean that they were living their lives?

Do you mean that everyone should still be hiding in a cave until this blows-over?

Everyone I know that got Covid acquired it because someone at their place of employment had it.

It's absolutely ridiculous to assume that every one of the 6 million people who have had Covid were reckless and stupid. Especially when masking and vaccines are partially-effective, at best.

Hell, the Great Jenn Psaki got Covid...

Old 11-23-2021, 09:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I understand what you're saying OP, but you are missing one valid point. True, the vaccine does not stop you from infecting someone with Covid if you have a break through infection. What it does do is keep you out of the hospital. The vast majority of people in the hospital with Covid are the unvaccinated. They are the ones responsible for surges and overwhelming our hospitals. They will also be the ones responsible for another mutation that may render our current vaccines useless.

Look. We have vaccinated our way out of smallpox. measles, chicken pox, polio and Covid is just another disease we have to vaccinate our way out of. It's not the first, it won't be the last.

Look at H1N1. The pandemic of 1918 was devastating. H1N1 reared again in 2009. That's why our annual flu vaccine has H1N1 included in the vaccine. H1N1 still circulates today but is not of major concern because of vaccination. This is where we need to be with Covid.

There will be other diseases on the horizon that we need to vaccinate against. Just be grateful that we live in these times with great scientific minds vs 1918 with next to nothing in their tool box.

I'm pretty sure I had a break through Covid infection last summer. I thought it was nothing serious and may be RSV which was also circulating early at the time. It wasn't until I realized that I could smell nothing that it was most likely Covid. We were with my husbands elderly Aunt when I had the sniffles. I thought it was allergies. I called her and she was fine. So was my husband and everyone else I was around at the time. I'm sure it had to do with the viral load, which was probably low due to the vaccine. Had none of us been vaccinated? It may have had a different outcome.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:43 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I understand what you're saying OP, but you are missing one valid point. True, the vaccine does not stop you from infecting someone with Covid if you have a break through infection. What it does do is keep you out of the hospital. The vast majority of people in the hospital with Covid are the unvaccinated. They are the ones responsible for surges and overwhelming our hospitals. They will also be the ones responsible for another mutation that may render our current vaccines useless.

Look. We have vaccinated our way out of smallpox. measles, chicken pox, polio and Covid is just another disease we have to vaccinate our way out of. It's not the first, it won't be the last.

Look at H1N1. The pandemic of 1918 was devastating. H1N1 reared again in 2009. That's why our annual flu vaccine has H1N1 included in the vaccine. H1N1 still circulates today but is not of major concern because of vaccination. This is where we need to be with Covid.

There will be other diseases on the horizon that we need to vaccinate against. Just be grateful that we live in these times with great scientific minds vs 1918 with next to nothing in their tool box.

I'm pretty sure I had a break through Covid infection last summer. I thought it was nothing serious and may be RSV which was also circulating early at the time. It wasn't until I realized that I could smell nothing that it was most likely Covid. We were with my husbands elderly Aunt when I had the sniffles. I thought it was allergies. I called her and she was fine. So was my husband and everyone else I was around at the time. I'm sure it had to do with the viral load, which was probably low due to the vaccine. Had none of us been vaccinated? It may have had a different outcome.
For the most part, I agree with you.

But I'm not sure that I agree that we are going to "vaccinate our way out of this".

Or at the very least, it's getting harder and harder to convince the vaccine-hesitant-people of that, considering that vaccines rates continue to increase but yet these surges are getting worse and apparently more frequent - looks like another one is starting again, almost immediately after the last one "ended".

I got the vaccine, but I doubt I will get a booster, because I don't see an end in sight and don't plan to get endless boosters of any vaccine. We know for sure that vaccines (in general) are effective, but over-vaccination has also been a potential problem with vaccines in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington