Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 02:58 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You didn't call 911 about 2 individuals appearing to be under the influence of drugs attempting to vandalize a bank machine and posing at potential threat to patrons waiting in nearby?

For all your complaining, you're not helping.
My partner did, they said they'd send a unit by. We've been hearing that due to the new state legislation, the police have no probable cause to stop or confront them once they leave the crime scene even if the persons clothing or vehicle is very unique. If they don't get there before the people leave, there is nothing they can do. Our Sheriff said someone could witness a person kidnap you that is driving a unique car, and that if they pick up that vehicle a couple blocks away and can't hear you or see you flailing for help behind tinted glass they legally do not have probable cause to stop that vehicle. Off to human trafficking you go.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 12-09-2022 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 03:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Okay, sweetheart, I prefer the rural life because we have less crime. I moved to outside the city limits after a young woman pounded in my door after she had been attacked. I quickly cleaned up her neck wound after calling the police (no 911 in those days). My apartment was on High Street near the university so relatively crime free. This shook me up so badly that moving was a priority. I worked at Western so would often walk up there at night to use the darkroom to process photos. My sense of safety was shattered.

Have you spoken to any LEO? At our home based business, we know quite a few. They tell me that crime is out of control and they feel powerless to stop it. Several have their retirement countdown clocks activated so they can look forward to getting out. Our police chief has stated that a large number of officers will be retiring in the next five years and the department is having difficulties attracting recruits and lateral transfers. But, the city voters in the last election voted for a candidate that actually sponsored several of the bills that restricted police from apprehending criminals. Your politics in the city (elected city council person posted ACAB on FB page before filing for office) affect those of us in the county.

If you enjoy living in downtown, that is your prerogative. A quick trip into town gets us a week of groceries. That is all I buy in the city except for building supplies. Everything else is at online stores, especially those that don’t charge state sales tax.

As a young person in my twenties, I loved living in town close to the nightlife and being able to walk to the store to buy groceries, etc. But, I always felt safe day and night. I now don’t even feel safe during the day as I have been assailed for cash at the grocery store and downtown by screaming beggars. Crime is only going to worsen as the population grows and our laissez faire attitude toward hard core homeless and criminals allows uncheck crime.

If we could move, we would. But we have a lifetime of friends and family here. My family on my mom’s side has been in the Salish Sea/Puget Sound area since before we became a state. That is longevity. Our millennial daughter is sixth generation.

So, you do you and stay safe.
Ah, I see. Only the opinion and perspective of people who were born here and hate newcomers counts. Funny that you accuse me of being condescending while calling me "sweetheart", referring to anyone who likes Bellingham as "Polyannas", and relentlessly assaulting the motivations of non-natives, or lumping us into some group that you hate. I'll say it again: while it's helpful to know what Bellingham used to be like to a local growing up here, people trying to learn more about this city for possible relocation are more concerned about how the area compares to what they have personally experienced.

As to your own experience, I'm sorry that you were shaken by an incident near the campus many years ago. I truly am, and I understand why that would make you want to move out of the city. Again, though, your desire to live in a rural location is a preference that not everyone shares. And, that preference is also mostly conceptual- cities have more people, more crime, more traffic. Most people understand that. But it's an important thing to point out in your argument- you don't like cities!

I also know that the changes in the city are a mixed bag, so when you talk about your perceived safety of living in the city 40+ years ago, it's also worth pointing out that there is good and bad. For example, many of the neighborhoods in Bellingham are nicer now than they were 10, 20, 30+ years ago. Several of my neighbors who grew up in the area and have lived here their whole lives point that out to us regularly. Likewise, there are some homeless people downtown, but there's also far more commercial activity and pedestrian presence than there was in the last couple decades, especially since the mall left it a ghost town in the late 80's.

Again, everyone has different experiences in their lives. You moved out of the city decades ago but continue to generalize nonstop about how terrible it is for everyone living in Bellingham, and I'm just providing a different perspective because I don't feel the same way at all.

That is not to say for a second that I don't take issues like crime seriously, and there are a lot of issues- like difficulties in recruiting police (or to rkcarguy's point- challenges in finding affordable housing for staff considering relocating here) that warrant discussion (though for context, these problems are occurring everywhere right now). But there are a lot of people here, myself included, who have a lot of pride in living here, and still see far more positives than negatives.

To be honest, though, one of the negatives is the attitude of some locals, who in my opinion are the reason behind the perception of a "freeze" here. Thankfully, the attitude seems limited to online interaction, as most people we encounter are generally friendly, or at least cordial. But overall, I'm completely at a loss why you and several others offer nothing but condemnation for those who like living here. It's just so strange and completely unnecessary.

Last edited by bartonizer; 12-09-2022 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-09-2022, 04:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
ETA: yes, I understand that people who come from different parts of the country compare it to where they are from. But, they need to accept that by moving here, they are changing my hometown which I used to be proud of. My wanting Bellingham to remain a bucolic little hick town is not privileged or selfish. Please quit your condescending attitude.

The two people I referenced do not live in shady apartments; they both live in houses, one for many years prior to that area becoming a homeless dumping ground. How would you like to find a dead body on your land?

Yes, I have lived here my entire life except for a year abroad. You have lived in more places and can jump ship when you want.

The people I am angry with are the extreme “progressives” who have brought their ill-advised politics to this area to change Whatcom County to blue and I have to live with those consequences. Public safety is the number one priority of government but the people who have been elected are all about virtue signaling and being about as far left as one can be.

Whatcom County has had 8 (!) murders this year, several in the past two months. This is unconscionable. One murder was because someone tried to rob a drug dealer, and, yes, the cartels are here. We do have gangs. If you think this makes Bellingham great, I have no words. This entire scenario has been brought to you by those people moving here from areas that subscribe to this mantra of being easy on criminals like SF, LA, and Boulder, CO. The Washington Supreme Court with its recent Blake decision, has decreed that possession of drugs is not a crime. This attracts the addicts who steal to fuel their addiction.

Selfish? I have read your bon vivant man about town blogs and find you so pompous and self promoting that you define selfish. And, quit the name calling (curmudgeon) or you will be reported.
I realize that change is difficult to deal with, and I've said that 1000x times, though I'll maintain that it's not some binary where all change is bad (or good). And I don't think that wanting Bellingham to remain a "bucolic little hick town" is privileged or selfish in itself; but I do think it's completely unrealistic. We live in a scenic area, between two burgeoning metropolitan areas, but you're furious that anyone would attempt to move here? Really?

FWIW, while I'm definitely more progressive than you, I get irritated by the extreme left, too, and I do think that some legislation on the state level has led to uncertainty about interpretation of the law, and some negative consequences when it comes to crime. And I realize that you've been stalking me, but if you did a better sleuthing job, you'd also realize that I'm fairly vocal from time to time on these issues and often agree with you. I'm not sure why I have to repeat this, but it's possible to be concerned about issues AND love where you live.

Speaking of stalking, though, I'm glad you brought up my "man around town" blogs, though I think it's a little creepy and I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. I have an active Instagram account where I post mostly landscape pictures of this area in the NW, and I put up some blog posts (5+ years ago) commenting on the craft beer and culinary scene in Bellingham. How you interpret that as pompous and selfish is completely beyond me. People are welcome to check it out, though I participate in amateur photography and writing from time to time because I enjoy it and love the area, not because of some ulterior motive or kickback from some agency (which I've been accused of by posters here, though, which is actually flattering).

Anyway, I've not seen another forum on city-data where there was this much anger directed towards people simply for sticking up for the area they live in. In fact, in person I've never actually encountered anything as negative as the Bham posters on C-D. However, it's kind of a running joke on reddit, too. Some people are really defensive of this place, and don't want it discovered! I actually take that to be a good reflection of people liking an area, not hating it. And again, most of the people we've met or encountered in almost a decade of living here are generally pleasant.

Last edited by bartonizer; 12-09-2022 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-09-2022, 05:58 PM

3,096 posts, read 2,220,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
My partner did, they said they'd send a unit by. We've been hearing that due to the new state legislation, the police have no probable cause to stop or confront them once they leave the crime scene even if the persons clothing or vehicle is very unique. If they don't get there before the people leave, there is nothing they can do. Our Sheriff said someone could witness a person kidnap you that is driving a unique car, and that if they pick up that vehicle a couple blocks away and can't hear you or see you flailing for help behind tinted glass they legally do not have probable cause to stop that vehicle. Off to human trafficking you go.
I am sure what you heard from is right. But, just for perspective - let me share a couple of stories from the liberal state of Utah…
  • We live in a condo building with 3 underground floors for parking. One night, our parking garage was broken into and the thieves broke into locked closets that some of the residents have as extra in their parking spaces. Broke ours too but there wasn’t anything worth taking. Some idiot had guns in theirs and they were taken. Police had ample video evidence and could even recognize one of the robbers. But, did not pursue it as they had stayed on the parking floors and had not attempted to go into the residence floors.
  • A while later, some residents in the building caught a (different) person who had broken into the garage and was wandering. They called the police while detaining him. The police folks were otherwise occupied and could not be persuaded to come and arrest him. So, the residents had the let the person go.
And, we live in a high rent district with one of the richer families in Utah and the US not too far from us [Not that that should matter].

I can’t say that the issue in Bellingham are better or worse but we are at a point where bar for consequences is higher. If you are a politician, there is no bar at all. So, we take all this in stride.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:00 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I realize that change is difficult to deal with, and I've said that 1000x times, though I'll maintain that it's not some binary where all change is bad (or good). And I don't think that wanting Bellingham to remain a "bucolic little hick town" is privileged or selfish in itself; but I do think it's completely unrealistic. We live in a scenic area, between two burgeoning metropolitan areas, but you're furious that anyone would attempt to move here? Really?

FWIW, while I'm definitely more progressive than you, I get irritated by the extreme left, too, and I do think that some legislation on the state level has led to uncertainty about interpretation of the law, and some negative consequences when it comes to crime. And I realize that you've been stalking me, but if you did a better sleuthing job, you'd also realize that I'm fairly vocal from time to time on these issues and often agree with you. I'm not sure why I have to repeat this, but it's possible to be concerned about issues AND love where you live.

Speaking of stalking, though, I'm glad you brought up my "man around town" blogs, though I think it's a little creepy and I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. I have an active Instagram account where I post mostly landscape pictures of this area in the NW, and I put up some blog posts (5+ years ago) commenting on the craft beer and culinary scene in Bellingham. How you interpret that as pompous and selfish is completely beyond me. People are welcome to check it out, though I participate in amateur photography and writing from time to time because I enjoy it and love the area, not because of some ulterior motive or kickback from some agency (which I've been accused of by posters here, though, which is actually flattering).

Anyway, I've not seen another forum on city-data where there was this much anger directed towards people simply for sticking up for the area they live in. In fact, in person I've never actually encountered anything as negative as the Bham posters on C-D. However, it's kind of a running joke on reddit, too. Some people are really defensive of this place, and don't want it discovered! I actually take that to be a good reflection of people liking an area, not hating it. And again, most of the people we've met or encountered in almost a decade of living here are generally pleasant.
Pot kettle black.

Old 12-16-2022, 05:14 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I am sure what you heard from is right. But, just for perspective - let me share a couple of stories from the liberal state of Utah…
  • We live in a condo building with 3 underground floors for parking. One night, our parking garage was broken into and the thieves broke into locked closets that some of the residents have as extra in their parking spaces. Broke ours too but there wasn’t anything worth taking. Some idiot had guns in theirs and they were taken. Police had ample video evidence and could even recognize one of the robbers. But, did not pursue it as they had stayed on the parking floors and had not attempted to go into the residence floors.
  • A while later, some residents in the building caught a (different) person who had broken into the garage and was wandering. They called the police while detaining him. The police folks were otherwise occupied and could not be persuaded to come and arrest him. So, the residents had the let the person go.
And, we live in a high rent district with one of the richer families in Utah and the US not too far from us [Not that that should matter].

I can’t say that the issue in Bellingham are better or worse but we are at a point where bar for consequences is higher. If you are a politician, there is no bar at all. So, we take all this in stride.
Bellingham scored a 4/100 on safety/crime in our last update, statistics dated 9/22. 106.9% more crime than the US Average, and 60% higher than state average. Granted, most of the uptick is property crime, but there has also been a huge increase in assaults to go with it. For purposes of comparison, Seattle scored a 2/100 and Detroit a 3/100, and Everett a 10/100.
Rumors are circulating that the city may get paid by the state to receive those released from prison, but understandingly no data on this can be found.

Old 12-17-2022, 02:56 PM

Thank for sharing.

We plan to spend a few days in Bellingham early in January to check it out in winter. Also spending time in Seattle and a couple of days in Olympia. As a part of possible retirement relocation assessment - albeit at an open and early stage of the process. Frankly our first gating factor is our assessment of how the winter weather might suit or hinder us - particularly when it comes to the outdoor activities we like to engage in. If that works, we will look at other considerations - such as healthcare access, crime etc.

@bartonizer - I just realized that I will not make it the stalking business. I could not locate your blog with the information you shared

Last edited by kavm; 12-17-2022 at 03:37 PM..

Old 12-17-2022, 03:42 PM

302 posts, read 177,129 times
You definitely get a dose of winter in Bellingham but it's worse if you live in sudden valley or a secondary road. Those factors can make a world of difference for if you're stuck inside or able to drive out. Any change in elevation becomes more dangerous as well. People want a view but you don't want a steep slope from your neighborhood. If you're not willing to put chains on and off I suggest waiting until it becomes safe.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:01 PM

Thanks! We are generally quite familiar with winter driving. Is ice a problem in winter? Walking or driving, that’s what scares us.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:28 AM

302 posts, read 177,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thanks! We are generally quite familiar with winter driving. Is ice a problem in winter? Walking or driving, that’s what scares us.
There are days, like right now where secondary roads are completely covered in ice. It usually melts as soon as we reach back into the 30s but this evening I drove on ice to reach home. I don't think it's a big deal but one needs to drive slowly and take calculated turns. A turn up an icy hill could be a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington