Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 06:11 PM

302 posts, read 177,129 times

Advertisements

There's a couple extra shelters open now including a church in Ferndale open at 5pm everyday.

I was in Walmart the other day and saw a lady on drugs with a wagon full of merchandise. I doubt she made it out the door without being stopped.

Lately I don't trust most hotels. I had to pay a premium to stay where they had good reviews on cleanliness.

My building just went through a two week deep cleaning where they even scraped attic of drugs and used all these fancy loud machines. The workers had on hazmat suits and loud walkie talkies as if they're working in a chemical war scene. I think the apartment was used as a meth lab or fentanyl scene. 20,000 pills were recovered this week per local news and I'm pretty sure this happened just down my hall and in the attic above my bed. Is this Washington or the whole country changed since the five years I moved here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 10:39 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
Yikes!
I have seen hazmat removal jobs that we supposedly completed and there was still a little debris left.
Nothing is perfect.
Be careful, monitor your health and awareness.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:17 PM

302 posts, read 177,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Yikes!
I have seen hazmat removal jobs that we supposedly completed and there was still a little debris left.
Nothing is perfect.
Be careful, monitor your health and awareness.
Thanks. They're still at it but without as much noise. The wing smells like bleach or something.

It sucks that our local news doesn't cover so many things. Tuesday the internet at my plant I work at went out and still hasn't been restored. Supposedly fiber optic cable is being laid a couple miles away and the wrong cable was cut (speculation). Our software system relies on internet, not just any internet for security reasons. So we're not productive this week, can't do much.

I wonder if it was part of the attack that happened in Moore County NC. The national news says that Washington and Oregon were also sabotaged so feds are investigating. It's just odd it happened the same week. I don't know where the other incidents happened, somewhere in WA and OR.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:12 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
It's crazy. You look at the Bellingham of today, and you'd think your time machine came back to a parallel universe of Biff's Bellingham. There is no need to further reiterate. The effects of the homeless/druggies/crime and outbound working class is obvious everywhere one looks, in nearly every aspect of daily life.
I know this is unfolding across the US, but our states "Soft on crime" mentality coupled with full jails has made us a destination for a perpetually increasing population of troublemakers.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Next Door has some Pollyanna types who have recently moved here from out of the area. They insist that crime is low here compared to from where they moved. They fail to realize that comparing their experience is not that of us locals. Bellingham and Whatcom County did not historically have this current situation of rampant retail and home thefts, stolen cars and the crime and drug ridden encampments on private property. They accuse those of us who are saddened about the demise of our hometown as uncaring people with hardened hearts who look down on the downtrodden.

Two different people, who live near the encampments on the Guide, explained explicitly what they endure: stolen fence, cut fuel lines, a dead body, being chased by someone with a hatchet on their own property, etc. These (someone even chastised this neighbor for referring to the people who left garbage as “these people”) are NOT the ones who want and accept help for a reversal of fortune. These are the hardcore. The neighbors who live adjacent to these properties have offered to show the disbelievers the reality. Crickets.

I agree that this has somehow become a parallel universe Alice down the rabbit hole reality. Please believe me when I say this is truly an aberration. I am glad I can escape to the quiet of my big trees, creek and ponds and let this crazy world fade away.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:57 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Next Door has some Pollyanna types who have recently moved here from out of the area. They insist that crime is low here compared to from where they moved. They fail to realize that comparing their experience is not that of us locals. Bellingham and Whatcom County did not historically have this current situation of rampant retail and home thefts, stolen cars and the crime and drug ridden encampments on private property. They accuse those of us who are saddened about the demise of our hometown as uncaring people with hardened hearts who look down on the downtrodden.

Two different people, who live near the encampments on the Guide, explained explicitly what they endure: stolen fence, cut fuel lines, a dead body, being chased by someone with a hatchet on their own property, etc. These (someone even chastised this neighbor for referring to the people who left garbage as “these people”) are NOT the ones who want and accept help for a reversal of fortune. These are the hardcore. The neighbors who live adjacent to these properties have offered to show the disbelievers the reality. Crickets.

I agree that this has somehow become a parallel universe Alice down the rabbit hole reality. Please believe me when I say this is truly an aberration. I am glad I can escape to the quiet of my big trees, creek and ponds and let this crazy world fade away.
What you fail to understand is that people wanting to learn more about an area care far more about how the area compares to where they're from and their own experiences than how it compares to your experience growing up here. Is it really that hard for you to grasp that concept?

I get that you've never lived anywhere else in your life, but other people have. And their own personal observations and comparisons matter more to them than how it relates to your childhood. Why would you realistically expect any different? Your level of selfishness and entitlement is through the roof. You're not royalty, you were born here. Things change, places experience growth.

An irony here is that many of the people you're apparently the most angry with- people who really like it here and spent a lot of money to move here from other places - sure as heck aren't the people stealing cars or shoplifting. No, their fault in your eyes is to still enjoying living here, despite the fact that we're experiencing many of the same things going on throughout the country. We want to be safe, and often share similar concerns- though you and rkcarguy's portrayal of the "dangers" of daily life actually living in Bellingham are highly exaggerated compared to what most people experience. And if you were remotely friendly at all to newcomers instead of just being furious at people for being positive, you'd know that. But then, it would apparently negate your "Bellingham is dying" mantra, despite the fact that you don't even live in Bellingham.

You don't like cities? Great. You live in the country on rural acreage, that's your preference. In fact, it sounds like you've preferred living in the country for decades. And I'm glad that you like it. We live in the middle of the city and love it. But again, your generalizations based on what you read people complaining incessantly about on NextDoor aren't what everyone or even most people experience at all on daily basis living here.

As to the observations of the two people you talked to, well of COURSE someone living near a homeless encampment or in a shady apartment complex witnesses crime. And I don't blame people for complaining if they do. But do you think that's any different than living in similar proximity anywhere else in the country? Do you think all of Bellingham lives on the Guide Meridian near Walmart? Do you think we're the only city encountering these issues?

Again, much of this "argument" has to do with a difference in preferences of living situations, strong differences in political views, and for some odd reason, the inability or flat out refusal by some to acknowledge that people often hold complex perspectives where several things can be true at the same time, like loving an area AND wanting to see problems addressed.

Last edited by bartonizer; 12-09-2022 at 03:09 AM..

Old 12-09-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
What you fail to understand is that people wanting to learn more about an area care far more about how the area compares to where they're from and their own experiences than how it compares to your experience growing up here. Is it really that hard for you to grasp that concept?

I get that you've never lived anywhere else in your life, but other people have. And their own personal observations and comparisons matter more to them than how it relates to your childhood. Why would you realistically expect any different? Your level of selfishness and entitlement is through the roof. You're not royalty, you were born here. Things change, places experience growth.

An irony here is that many of the people you're apparently the most angry with- people who really like it here and spent a lot of money to move here from other places - sure as heck aren't the people stealing cars or shoplifting. No, their fault in your eyes is to still enjoying living here, despite the fact that we're experiencing many of the same things going on throughout the country. We want to be safe, and often share similar concerns- though you and rkcarguy's portrayal of the "dangers" of daily life actually living in Bellingham are highly exaggerated compared to what most people experience. And if you were remotely friendly at all to newcomers instead of just being furious at people for being positive, you'd know that. But then, it would apparently negate your "Bellingham is dying" mantra, despite the fact that you don't even live in Bellingham.

You don't like cities? Great. You live in the country on rural acreage, that's your preference. In fact, it sounds like you've preferred living in the country for decades. And I'm glad that you like it. We live in the middle of the city and love it. But again, your generalizations based on what you read people complaining incessantly about on NextDoor aren't what everyone or even most people experience at all on daily basis living here.

As to the observations of the two people you talked to, well of COURSE someone living near a homeless encampment or in a shady apartment complex witnesses crime. And I don't blame people for complaining if they do. But do you think that's any different than living in similar proximity anywhere else in the country? Do you think all of Bellingham lives on the Guide Meridian near Walmart? Do you think we're the only city encountering these issues?

Again, much of this "argument" has to do with a difference in preferences of living situations, strong differences in political views, and for some odd reason, the inability or flat out refusal by some to acknowledge that people often hold complex perspectives where several things can be true at the same time, like loving an area AND wanting to see problems addressed.
Okay, sweetheart, I prefer the rural life because we have less crime. I moved to outside the city limits after a young woman pounded in my door after she had been attacked. I quickly cleaned up her neck wound after calling the police (no 911 in those days). My apartment was on High Street near the university so relatively crime free. This shook me up so badly that moving was a priority. I worked at Western so would often walk up there at night to use the darkroom to process photos. My sense of safety was shattered.

Have you spoken to any LEO? At our home based business, we know quite a few. They tell me that crime is out of control and they feel powerless to stop it. Several have their retirement countdown clocks activated so they can look forward to getting out. Our police chief has stated that a large number of officers will be retiring in the next five years and the department is having difficulties attracting recruits and lateral transfers. But, the city voters in the last election voted for a candidate that actually sponsored several of the bills that restricted police from apprehending criminals. Your politics in the city (elected city council person posted ACAB on FB page before filing for office) affect those of us in the county.

If you enjoy living in downtown, that is your prerogative. A quick trip into town gets us a week of groceries. That is all I buy in the city except for building supplies. Everything else is at online stores, especially those that don’t charge state sales tax.

As a young person in my twenties, I loved living in town close to the nightlife and being able to walk to the store to buy groceries, etc. But, I always felt safe day and night. I now don’t even feel safe during the day as I have been assailed for cash at the grocery store and downtown by screaming beggars. Crime is only going to worsen as the population grows and our laissez faire attitude toward hard core homeless and criminals allows uncheck crime.

If we could move, we would. But we have a lifetime of friends and family here. My family on my mom’s side has been in the Salish Sea/Puget Sound area since before we became a state. That is longevity. Our millennial daughter is sixth generation.

So, you do you and stay safe.

Old 12-09-2022, 01:17 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Its bad, we stopped by the bank near Lowes Monday just minutes after it had closed, and there were two tweakers messing with the cash machine. We waited for several minutes along with some others sitting in their cars thinking they were just normal people getting cash and depositing checks(you can do that at these). After noticing all the twitching from these two along with the fact that over 5 mins passed and they hadn't moved along, we left for another branch across town. Maybe they were waiting for someone to walk up to rob/attack. Every aspect of our errands that evening encountered tweakers..... at the cash machine, wandering through the parking lot looking into car windows at the grocery store(they looked into our car before realizing we were still inside), and another nearly running down my partner with a cart of stolen goods coming out the entry of another store....that's 3 FOR 3 for our errands that evening.
Bartonizer, that's the thing now...we don't have to say anything. No one has to take anyone's word for it. This area is circling the drain. Come one come all and see for yourselves, I welcome it! Just bring your mace or carry. There are plenty of people listing townhouses condos and apartments for lease takeovers all the time now instead of waiting lists, and I don't have to guess why.
Explorer is right, these are the hardcore, not just down on their luck people needing a joint and a beer...I can hear the dispatcher going over the priors on my scanner when they encounter these people......people with such histories that I'm shocked they are out of jail. Over 1000 "unhoused homeless" (nice way of saying these are druggies, mentally ill, and violent people that the churches missions and shelters disallow) for a city of only 18 square miles, you do the math.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 12-09-2022 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-09-2022, 01:37 PM

ETA: yes, I understand that people who come from different parts of the country compare it to where they are from. But, they need to accept that by moving here, they are changing my hometown which I used to be proud of. My wanting Bellingham to remain a bucolic little hick town is not privileged or selfish. Please quit your condescending attitude.

The two people I referenced do not live in shady apartments; they both live in houses, one for many years prior to that area becoming a homeless dumping ground. How would you like to find a dead body on your land?

Yes, I have lived here my entire life except for a year abroad. You have lived in more places and can jump ship when you want.

The people I am angry with are the extreme “progressives” who have brought their ill-advised politics to this area to change Whatcom County to blue and I have to live with those consequences. Public safety is the number one priority of government but the people who have been elected are all about virtue signaling and being about as far left as one can be.

Whatcom County has had 8 (!) murders this year, several in the past two months. This is unconscionable. One murder was because someone tried to rob a drug dealer, and, yes, the cartels are here. We do have gangs. If you think this makes Bellingham great, I have no words. This entire scenario has been brought to you by those people moving here from areas that subscribe to this mantra of being easy on criminals like SF, LA, and Boulder, CO. The Washington Supreme Court with its recent Blake decision, has decreed that possession of drugs is not a crime. This attracts the addicts who steal to fuel their addiction.

Selfish? I have read your bon vivant man about town blogs and find you so pompous and self promoting that you define selfish. And, quit the name calling (curmudgeon) or you will be reported.

Last edited by xPlorer48; 12-09-2022 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-09-2022, 02:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Its bad, we stopped by the bank near Lowes Monday just minutes after it had closed, and there were two tweakers messing with the cash machine. We waited for several minutes along with some others sitting in their cars thinking they were just normal people getting cash and depositing checks(you can do that at these). After noticing all the twitching from these two along with the fact that over 5 mins passed and they hadn't moved along, we left for another branch across town. Maybe they were waiting for someone to walk up to rob/attack. Every aspect of our errands that evening encountered tweakers..... at the cash machine, wandering through the parking lot looking into car windows at the grocery store(they looked into our car before realizing we were still inside), and another nearly running down my partner with a cart of stolen goods coming out the entry of another store....that's 3 FOR 3 for our errands that evening.
Bartonizer, that's the thing now...we don't have to say anything. No one has to take anyone's word for it. This area is circling the drain. Come one come all and see for yourselves, I welcome it! Just bring your mace or carry. There are plenty of people listing townhouses condos and apartments for lease takeovers all the time now instead of waiting lists, and I don't have to guess why.
Explorer is right, these are the hardcore, not just down on their luck people needing a joint and a beer...I can hear the dispatcher going over the priors on my scanner when they encounter these people......people with such histories that I'm shocked they are out of jail. Over 1000 "unhoused homeless" (nice way of saying these are druggies, mentally ill, and violent people that the churches missions and shelters disallow) for a city of only 18 square miles, you do the math.
You didn't call 911 about 2 individuals appearing to be under the influence of drugs attempting to vandalize a bank machine and posing at potential threat to patrons waiting in nearby?

For all your complaining, you're not helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington