Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 10:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times

Advertisements

Meaningless as Inslee will win. Perhaps this opponent is attempting to bring up a strong oppositional approach and that is ok. Probably just positioning for future elections. Let’s face it republicans will not win state wide elections in the current political atmosphere. He is definitely a gun rights supporter out of Republic, not far from Spokane.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-06-2020 at 11:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 10:56 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
I think the average uninformed voter probably thinks Inslee is doing great. I am more immersed in, or have been personally effected by the decisions and legislation passed by this state in many aspects of my life and am less than pleased:

Inslee cancelled a LNG project that would have chilled and stored natural gas for ships to use as fuel. The fuel currently used, "bunker fuel" is basically poorly refined heating oil and is very dirty, ocean freight is said to responsible for 28% of the worlds transportation based pollution.

Recreational fishing in the sound was Inslee's low hanging fruit for severe cuts to fishing seasons and fish limits under the guise of "for the whales". Yet, through recreational license sales, each licensed fisher supports the hatcheries with a sizable amount of their annual license fee said to produce nearly 1,000 smolts (per license). Hatcheries are not operating anywhere near capacity, and whales are starving. At the same time, we have a Puget Sound and coastal seal and sea lion population that out-eats all the other salmon consumer groups *combined*.

Hirst Decision-New and existing water well moratorium that was based on poor science and unconstitutional.

Unconstitutional legislation that rolls out of Olympia from taxes to gun rights. You may go "meh", but it's not until you're business, home, or financial livelihood is affected negatively....or lost altogether.....by a piece of legislation that is later found unconstitutional with NO ACCOUNTABILITY by the state for your losses that one starts to get angry!

Covid-19. Well I lost almost 4 months of construction season due to the non-essential ban so I couldn't work my own home I am building myself ALONE on my own property. Yet on an "essential" project we were supporting at work (supply), trades were working in close proximity with each other and multiple people were infected. We suspect that it went through many of us at work in February but can't get antibody testing because it's "not a priority". Seems like the democrats want to retain their pandemic scare tactic tool.

Lets not forget the inaction (basically endorsement) from Olympia and Seattle government as the BLM riots went on for weeks costing lives and millions in damage.

I could go on and on....but as lifelong resident of WA things have really gone downhill from Gregoire forward.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:35 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
.....................................I could go on and on....but as lifelong resident of WA things have really gone downhill from Gregoire forward.

Nope, they went downhill in 1981 with the first Boeing bailout.

Once the Corporations found out that they could get MONEY from the state of Washington instead of PAYING TAXES it all went downhill.

It just took years for the cumulative effects of individual Legislative and Governors making decisions to shift taxes from Corporations to small business and residents to finally affect the state.

It became "normal" when the Governor and Legislature declared a "state-wide emergency" so they could hold an election to build the second richest man in the WORLD his football stadium with state funds.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:10 AM

Culp is a conservative running on a pro gun platform. He will win some eastern WA counties but has no chance against Inslee.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:13 AM

905 posts, read 1,102,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Culp is a one issue candidate (2nd Amendment) and his position in favor of unrestricted gun rights is opposed by a majority of Washingtonians. Everything he says on basically any other topic is just meaningless platitudes and generalities.

So I don't see his candidacy going anywhere against Inslee.
This was kind of my thought. I have some Libertarian leaning friends who plan to vote for Culp largely because of his stance on gun rights/their dislike of Inslee. Those aren't the only reasons, but they are big ones.

Still, even though my thoughts are that Culp has no chance in a place like King County, I can't help but wonder if he should be counted out just yet? My prediction remains that Inslee wins a third term, but even in King/Pierce/Snohomish, many seem quite divided over Inslee.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:09 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
This was kind of my thought. I have some Libertarian leaning friends who plan to vote for Culp largely because of his stance on gun rights/their dislike of Inslee. Those aren't the only reasons, but they are big ones.

Still, even though my thoughts are that Culp has no chance in a place like King County, I can't help but wonder if he should be counted out just yet? My prediction remains that Inslee wins a third term, but even in King/Pierce/Snohomish, many seem quite divided over Inslee.
People that are tepid about Inslee are most likely not going to go for a Trumpster given Trump's lack of popularity in the state.

Lot of time left, but right now I'd say it's an Inslee landslide.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:35 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post

I doubt it will even be remotely close. Culp is a hayseed small town sheriff from eastern Washington running as a one-issue candidate. Republicans used to have a formula for winning state-wide in Washington and it was with highly accomplished pro-business moderate conservative types who supported environmental protection and education and that sort of thing. Like Dan Evans, John Spellman, and Slade Gorton. Loren Culp is not that. Not even close.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:01 AM

256 posts, read 114,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Culp is a one issue candidate (2nd Amendment) and his position in favor of unrestricted gun rights is opposed by a majority of Washingtonians. Everything he says on basically any other topic is just meaningless platitudes and generalities.

So I don't see his candidacy going anywhere against Inslee.
Me neither. As is so oft the case, Culp as gov is just a pipe dream for the OP.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:52 PM

He has already made a big faux pas.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/p...8-de057d0656a2

BTW, as a resident of Eastern Washington I will add that this police chief oversees a rural community of just over 1,000 persons in far northeastern Washington. The nearest larger town is Omak.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-17-2020 at 12:10 AM..

Old 08-27-2020, 09:58 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,671,074 times
Culp is unqualified and inexperienced. He thinks he knows constitutional law better than constitutional lawyers but has no basis for that. He needs to work his way up through being a mayor or other local government before he will be experienced enough for state level government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington