Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
We have a pond (20X10) with moving water thru it and have never had a problem with mosquitoes. I use to live near one of the irrigation ditches and also never had a problem. I like the Heron but because they like the fish in my pond I have to chase them away. We get an occasional duck and the geese seem to like the bigger pond in the field behind my house.

Actually you are talking apples and oranges..Sequim has no water problem...the water problems are in the Dungeness valley which I think are state officials over reacting..
Cool on the skeeters.

I meant the Sequim general area...my bad. Yeah, they may be overreacting but one still has to live with the regulations instigated by those reactions, hey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:20 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, THAT'S what I'm talking about, TT...this is a real friendly place!
Hey I am a transplant too, but got respect for the law of the land in a place I am new too.

"When in Rome do as the Romans"

Point here is you live in a desert, population growth needs regulation, the more people the more restriction.

Loggers have been bending over backwards to accommodate for salmon, farmers have been doing the same.

Tell me one good reason why transplants adding to the pressure on the resource should not comply?

It is good ecology is being preemptive. It is good for people buying a home or a lot be aware of restricted areas,. Like Jumping Dogs.

Yes, I get upset, with gentrification. Yes, I get upset that when people think water for their lawn or washing the car is more important than water for long-standing farms.

How do you suggest I respond? Salmon first is a rule we all must live by if we expect to not end up like California, with extinct salmon!

Can you see why some can have a short fuse on this subject?

Help not turn Washington into the place you left! Bet you find plenty of friendly people then,.......

Old 11-25-2014, 12:13 PM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Over reacting?
That is debatable, and only after nonreversible damage is done would we not know if it is overreacting.

Salmon first.. If not leave and go back where you came from.
Actually I moved here from the PT area....And a whole lot of people who live in the Dungeness Valley would disagree with you as actual evidence of damage to the Salmon is debatable.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
I meant the Sequim general area...my bad. Yeah, they may be overreacting but one still has to live with the regulations instigated by those reactions, hey?
I agree as long as the regulations are not harmful and a financial burden to the general population.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Hey I am a transplant too, but got respect for the law of the land in a place I am new too.
Are you from California? You know one of the people who screwed it and now want to save the rest of us...

Quote:
Loggers have been bending over backwards to accommodate for salmon, farmers have been doing the same.
Obviously you haven't a clue about our area..its been the regulations that have bent the loggers and fishery industry over backward, regulations also have force farmers to lose a good part of their pasture land. Good or bad it has hurt those who make a living off the land.

The rest of your post was just ranting and not worth replying to.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
I don't live in Sequim, but it sure is not a desert. I grew up in the Mojave, now THAT is a desert. I have to admit that since I moved to the OP, I have noticed an obsession with clean, bright, shiny cars; mine is always the dirtiest. How do people keep their cars so clean here. And why? One thing I respect...during the summer, no one around here waters the grass, no green lawn obsession! Last summer I had to make multiple trips to Seattle to a surgeon there & got off the ferry at Edmonds, drove thru to North Seattle. Same thing, no green grass. That is as it should be.

My understanding of the Dungeness Valley was that once upon a time, it did have trees, but they were chopped down to make way for agriculture. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Are you from California? You know one of the people who screwed it and now want to save the rest of us...

Obviously you haven't a clue about our area..its been the regulations that have bent the loggers and fishery industry over backward, regulations also have force farmers to lose a good part of their pasture land. Good or bad it has hurt those who make a living off the land.

The rest of your post was just ranting and not worth replying to.
You do not know how to read very well...

I said farmers first over developers..
They got first rights on water. Yep the timber industry has bent over backwards.. So you can too!!

You are a Seattle city boy.. Don't know nothing about logging or farming.

No I am not from California.. Why you got something against those from California?

Again, I suggest transplants from the wherever respect a locations priority. And OUR priority is to not damage or destroy our fishery for green lawns in front of a bunch of McMansions..!!

Get that?

Old 11-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
I don't live in Sequim, but it sure is not a desert. I grew up in the Mojave, now THAT is a desert. I have to admit that since I moved to the OP, I have noticed an obsession with clean, bright, shiny cars; mine is always the dirtiest. How do people keep their cars so clean here. And why? One thing I respect...during the summer, no one around here waters the grass, no green lawn obsession! Last summer I had to make multiple trips to Seattle to a surgeon there & got off the ferry at Edmonds, drove thru to North Seattle. Same thing, no green grass. That is as it should be.

My understanding of the Dungeness Valley was that once upon a time, it did have trees, but they were chopped down to make way for agriculture. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.
That's all the water rule is about.. Outside water use restrictions.. Not a big deal for most who prioritize our natural resources..
I don't know about the history of the valley.. I would like to learn too..

Old 11-25-2014, 02:25 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,934,594 times
Being a newbie to the forum, I don't know much about past postings or background of posters. From what I have observed the pro and con conservation groups can comprise of both natives and transplants. The natives may want to preserve either their way of life or their local environment. The transplants move to a new place for a better environment, and may either want to preserve the new place or just want to continue their way of life (have the cake and eat it too ;-).

Global warming is not universally accepted, but there is no question that drought has become more and more severe in many parts of the country. This is why we do not want to relocate to southern California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona etc. When we visited my daughter in Nampa in August 2013, wild fires were everywhere and we saw nothing but barren landscapes in our day trips in Idaho and eastern Oregon.

Sequim is attractive for being the blue hole, 'dry spot of western Washington. It may never experience the kind of drought seen in California, but there is no guarantee that the continuing trend of less and less precipitation would not have an impact on its environment. IMO, I think it better early than late in conservation planning. I only recently heard of the Dungeness water rule. From little that I know about the rules, they do not seem excessive for a typical resident who does not have a farm. I don't think that Sequim homes would ever need to paint their lawn green but the home owners (ourselves included if we end up buying a home in the area) will have to adjust to the more restricted water usage.

Last edited by BellaDL; 11-25-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-25-2014, 02:29 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,934,594 times
Delete duplicate posting due to Internet hiccup ;-)

Last edited by BellaDL; 11-25-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington