Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:45 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Its actually a planter area of about twenty feet by 15 feet raised up about two feet and supported by preformed cement blocks. The birch tree is actually three trees in a tight group.
Right now surrounding the trees the daffodil (about three hundred) are about to bloom and the rhododendron are in bloom off the outer edge and have been since mid January.
My birch trees were planted about 12 years ago shortly after my house was built and are now about fifty feet tall and spread out about thirty. Two of the tree main trunks are about a foot a cross at the base and the third is slightly smaller.
The problem and it is a minor problem is the roots tend to be close to the surface because the area has a drip irrigation system. A bigger problem, are over the last two years, are the tent caterpillars which seem to love birch leaves. But with a little spray with wasp spray that can shoot up almost to the top of the tree it is short lived.
Good luck.
Thanks. Gotcha. We love the look of birch interspersed with evergreen trees...that northwoods Wisconsin feel. Aspen too although they sucker nasty here. We also enjoy clump birch in our landscaped beds.

Looking for some easy small leaved (no raking!) deciduous trees for our Sequim landscaping. We are surrounded by lots of fir with the occasional cedar.

I can deal with tents. They seem to be cyclical here. Nothing can compare to the dang Japanese Beetles that are eviscerating our plants here in WI. Hoping to get as far west as we can before they take over the entire country! We prefer natural insect control...after three years Milky Spore and Beneficial Nematodes are starting to make a dent in our JB invasion.

Those daffies gotta be gorgeous! Blooms in mid-January? Might have to plant some of those rhodies. Wow. Although I really need to seriously rein in my green thumb tendencies in favor of the low maintenance retirement home we are planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 PM

6,246 posts, read 3,417,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Thanks. Gotcha. We love the look of birch interspersed with evergreen trees...that northwoods Wisconsin feel. Aspen too although they sucker nasty here. We also enjoy clump birch in our landscaped beds.

Looking for some easy small leaved (no raking!) deciduous trees for our Sequim landscaping. We are surrounded by lots of fir with the occasional cedar.

I can deal with tents. They seem to be cyclical here. Nothing can compare to the dang Japanese Beetles that are eviscerating our plants here in WI. Hoping to get as far west as we can before they take over the entire country! We prefer natural insect control...after three years Milky Spore and Beneficial Nematodes are starting to make a dent in our JB invasion.

Those daffies gotta be gorgeous! Blooms in mid-January? Might have to plant some of those rhodies. Wow. Although I really need to seriously rein in my green thumb tendencies in favor of the low maintenance retirement home we are planning.
Not aware of any natural way to control tent caterpillars, if you know a way please inform.
Rhododendron native to this area and can be seen along almost any road. But the native ones are of dull pink. For color you have to get hybrids.
Actually there are not many natural destructive bugs in this area. My garden is almost care free except for maybe the aphid. Roses can be hit hard by them. But I use praying mantis to control as they can survive the mild winter.

If you have fir and cedar trees you must live at a higher elevation close to ONP as there few naturally occurring in the lowlands. Actually I like madrona trees with there rich red trunks. and they keep their leaves. But they don't like to be over shadowed by fir trees. The white berry like flowers are can actually be made in cider and the bark was used by Indians to make tea. They are an excellent way to attract Cedar Waxwings. One of my all time favorite birds. Unfortunely they don't grow in the Valley but did have several when I lived on Discovery Bay. I miss the squawking of the Jays and the numerous humming birds fighting over territory and feeding rights.

I don't really grow any plants that require a lot of maintenance and only have a very small lawn in the back for the grand kids to play on. Other than that I hire a lawn maintenance guy year around to do the dirty work.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 PM

526 posts, read 899,335 times
haven't read entire thread, so don't know if OP has made decision....but, noticed
HANGERS FOR SALE sign at PT airport today

Old 02-15-2015, 08:44 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,935,149 times
eidas,
If we had lucked out and got the house on Old Eaglemount Rd, our relocation in the OP would have been a done deal and we would definitely check out the hangars at PT airport!

We still have not made up our mind on where to relocate. Our original plan was that we could deal with the long winter by taking frequent trips to sunny place & going to nearby bigger cities for special healthcare if the need arises. However, our bad experience with the return trip to Seattle cast doubts about living in somewhat isolated places.

I am still weighing all the pros and cons and checking out living conditions & houses in several different areas in Washington (Ridgefield, Brush Prairie, Battle Ground, Kalama, PT, Anacortes, Spokane, Walla Walla) and few other places in Oregon & Idaho (Ashland, CDA etc). We may take another scouting trip in a near future to firm up our relocation plan.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Not aware of any natural way to control tent caterpillars, if you know a way please inform.
Rhododendron native to this area and can be seen along almost any road. But the native ones are of dull pink. For color you have to get hybrids.
Actually there are not many natural destructive bugs in this area. My garden is almost care free except for maybe the aphid. Roses can be hit hard by them. But I use praying mantis to control as they can survive the mild winter.

If you have fir and cedar trees you must live at a higher elevation close to ONP as there few naturally occurring in the lowlands. Actually I like madrona trees with there rich red trunks. and they keep their leaves. But they don't like to be over shadowed by fir trees. The white berry like flowers are can actually be made in cider and the bark was used by Indians to make tea. They are an excellent way to attract Cedar Waxwings. One of my all time favorite birds. Unfortunely they don't grow in the Valley but did have several when I lived on Discovery Bay. I miss the squawking of the Jays and the numerous humming birds fighting over territory and feeding rights.

I don't really grow any plants that require a lot of maintenance and only have a very small lawn in the back for the grand kids to play on. Other than that I hire a lawn maintenance guy year around to do the dirty work.
Here ya go: Forest Tent Caterpillar - Wisconsin DNR

Thanks on the mantis...love those bugs! I crossed roses off my list as they need too much water. I'd really like to be as drought tolerant as possible.

Our buyer's agent said she thought they were fir. And I know cedar as we have some types here. But maybe they are something that looks like fir? We are a half mile south of 101 near the John Wayne Marina.

I will check into the Madrona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington