Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 AM

24 posts, read 164,381 times

Advertisements

Probably a goofy question... but which of these places has the best mountain/scenic views? They probably all do, but curious which area you would drive into and say "oh my God". Looking for the "WOW" factor and trying to narrow down my selections between these three towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times
You could download google earth and see for yourself the view in these towns.

Google Earth

Old 01-04-2009, 01:18 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
The view from any given square foot depends on what's between the viewer and the Olympic Mountains being viewed, right? That's a movable feast. Nothing standing between you and the mountains, never a surety, maybe up a hill in Sequim and Port Angeles. But again, depends entirely on location, location, location. There are hills close to town which block the view... Just get UP somewhere.

In any event, you'd be looking southward and for the winter half of the year the sun, when he visits, will be in your eyes... Life is full of laughs!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:05 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,925 times
As Allforcats said, they all can provide that wow factor depending upon vantage point. This is a broad generalization so take it as such: The topography/terrain of each of these towns and hence their "feel" is a little different. PA and PT are more "hilly", Sequim tends to be more of a plain of flat farm land or at least it was farm land before the the building boom there! From many driving points in PA and PT, the hills can both provide for, as well as obscure, those views you're after. Case in point: I like mostly hilly towns rather than mostly flat ones so we live in PA. Our home is hilltop with an unobstructed view looking straight in to Mt. Angeles. An awesome view for morning coffee! The downside is another hill "behind" me mostly blocks my view of the Strait.

Most of the views in and around PA tend to be of the Olympics or the Strait and/or Vancouver Island. FWIW, for me a non-mountain view "wow" is standing atop the pier tower (in downtown PA - near the science center) on a clear night and looking across the Strait to the beautiful twinkling city lights of Victoria, BC with moonlight highlighting the snowy peaks of Mt. Baker! Hint: bring your binoculars. Sequim views tend to be a "aimed" a little more towards Mt. Baker and the San Juan's (at least from Dungeness) but once again depending on the angle you can get awesome views of the Olympics from Sequim as well. PT provides a different angle yet as it's more of an eastward/northeastward facing town out on a "point" of land.

You asked about driving in to these towns. Driving in to Sequim and then PA (heading west), you'll have mostly trees and hills to your "left" with occasional peeks of the Olympics. But, you'll see Mt. Baker, the Strait and Vancouver Island below you to your "right", at least on a clear day! You drive "down" the hill as you go in to PT, so you'll see (depending on which way you're looking) Fort Flagler across Townsend Bay and then Whidbey Island in the distance to your "right".

So why not visit them all and see which "view" makes you personally go "Wow!" the most? It's about an hour and a half drive from PT to PA (with Sequim "in the middle"). Easy day trip with lots of time for stopping and looking. While you're in PA (late spring, summer and early fall when the road is open) take a detour from PA up to the park and ranger station at Hurricane Ridge. A guaranteed "WOW!!!" view on a clear day.

Of course this time of the year it's not uncommon for the mountains to be cloaked in rain or cloud cover which will negate those drive by views you're seeking.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM

24 posts, read 164,381 times
Thanks so much everyone. I was on hurricane ridge about 20 years ago (it has been a while) and remember thinking this is as close as it gets to the "Sound of Music" without moving to Europe. I LOVED the PNW and have dreamed of living there ever since. I can't wait to come and explore some more.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 16,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zone8Heather View Post
Probably a goofy question... but which of these places has the best mountain/scenic views? They probably all do, but curious which area you would drive into and say "oh my God". Looking for the "WOW" factor and trying to narrow down my selections between these three towns.
Sequim definetly has the wow factor for me, but I live here so maybe I am biased!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington