Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times

Advertisements

So you going to miss the mosquito's too..?

Ya I can see the romantic side to T storms.. But doubt I will miss them.. Kids running around in shorts and t shirts today. A sunny balmy 50...) this afternoon. yesterday was windy gusty super fine mist just a short 30 min light rain after the wind died.

(As stated earlier, micro climate vary wildly. A lot has do do with the intensity and angle of storm.)

Ranquility, the 20 inches for PT, I wonder if that was Oak harbor or the Chimacum airport? Local weather stations on Davis weather link report much less.

Fact is though PT gets about 5 more inches than Sequim on average.. For.me that is a good thing not a bad thing.

Sequim is as dry as LA and will have the same water rights issues. Not that PT won't have water issues either though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 AM

576 posts, read 2,261,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Sequim is as dry as LA and will have the same water rights issues.

Along with water mitigation under the contentious Dungeness Water Rule. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...

Old 11-23-2014, 10:03 AM

It will be interesting.. Water regulation is far more strict than LA which has no water, yet most do not think of watering water hogging plants with leaky hoses.

Bit of a tangent but for those landscaping new homes, Sequim has some awesome nurseries specializing in water wise plants..
Water rule:
Dungeness Water Management - Rule Background | Dungeness Water Management | Instream Flow in Washington | Water Resources Program | Department of Ecology

No shortage this morning in PT, a couple good showers at daybreak Maybe a 1/4 inch. Now blue sky. (Storm out of west so no rain shadow blocking here and I assume Squim either.)

Old 11-23-2014, 12:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
So you going to miss the mosquito's too..?

Ya I can see the romantic side to T storms.. But doubt I will miss them.. Kids running around in shorts and t shirts today. A sunny balmy 50...) this afternoon. yesterday was windy gusty super fine mist just a short 30 min light rain after the wind died.

(As stated earlier, micro climate vary wildly. A lot has do do with the intensity and angle of storm.)

Ranquility, the 20 inches for PT, I wonder if that was Oak harbor or the Chimacum airport? Local weather stations on Davis weather link report much less.

Fact is though PT gets about 5 more inches than Sequim on average.. For.me that is a good thing not a bad thing.

Sequim is as dry as LA and will have the same water rights issues. Not that PT won't have water issues either though..
Hahahaha!!! Although we have a small drainage pond just off our Sequim back yard so I am wondering if we might have some of the nasty little buggers. Pond is tiny but the geese and Great Blue Herons like it. I can do without geese but adore herons.

Seems to me that Sequim already has water rights issues. That's what pushed us to buy outside the Dungeness Water Rule area. I can see that getting worse although not quite the same as LA. They are drought surrounded by drought surrounded by drought.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
It will be interesting.. Water regulation is far more strict than LA which has no water, yet most do not think of watering water hogging plants with leaky hoses.

Bit of a tangent but for those landscaping new homes, Sequim has some awesome nurseries specializing in water wise plants..
Water rule:
Dungeness Water Management - Rule Background | Dungeness Water Management | Instream Flow in Washington | Water Resources Program | Department of Ecology

No shortage this morning in PT, a couple good showers at daybreak Maybe a 1/4 inch. Now blue sky. (Storm out of west so no rain shadow blocking here and I assume Squim either.)
Please DM me with your nursery recommendations, TT, when you have some spare time. We are planning native water wise minimal landscaping for our Sequim build. I've already done some research but referrals from those in the know are best.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I have a question.. I do have a pretty good working knowledge of the PNW climate as I do post on here about the weather. However, I am interested in anyone who has lived for a period of time in the Sequim/Port Angeles area on the frequency of thunderstorms. I know it's maybe a couple of days a year on the average, or do you get more? Also, high winds in those area's. With the Olympics to the south, is Sequim subject to damaging winds coming down from the mountains? How often is Sequim and PA subject to high winds?

If I ever was to relocate to the PNW, the northern Oly. Pen. would be a contender, but being I have lived in Oklahoma, thunderstorms would be something I would seriously miss.
Being basically a maritime climate it can be windy at times but not like Washington at the base of the Cascade mountains which is kind of like a funnel up and down the valleys. I think we on the North Pensusla get high winds about two-five times a year with minimal to no damage. Loss of power in Sequim for example hasn't happen in my neighborhood for about five or six years and when it did it was short termed.
Thunder storms are rare down low and higher at higher elevations and mostly short lived.
I have worked in Oklahoma and seen the results of high wind and thunder storms up close and it can be overwhelming.

The peninsula is child play when comparing wind and thunder storms it to Oklahoma and Texas.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
Along with water mitigation under the contentious Dungeness Water Rule. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...
True, but only if you are on a well, Sequim is almost all city water and has no issue or concern about water use. Yet...

Old 11-24-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Hahahaha!!! Although we have a small drainage pond just off our Sequim back yard so I am wondering if we might have some of the nasty little buggers. Pond is tiny but the geese and Great Blue Herons like it. I can do without geese but adore herons.
We have a pond (20X10) with moving water thru it and have never had a problem with mosquitoes. I use to live near one of the irrigation ditches and also never had a problem. I like the Heron but because they like the fish in my pond I have to chase them away. We get an occasional duck and the geese seem to like the bigger pond in the field behind my house.

Quote:
Seems to me that Sequim already has water rights issues. That's what pushed us to buy outside the Dungeness Water Rule area. I can see that getting worse although not quite the same as LA. They are drought surrounded by drought surrounded by drought.
Actually you are talking apples and oranges..Sequim has no water problem...the water problems are in the Dungeness valley which I think are state officials over reacting..

Old 11-24-2014, 07:43 PM

Over reacting?
That is debatable, and only after nonreversible damage is done would we not know if it is overreacting.

Salmon first.. If not leave and go back where you came from.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:26 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
Quote:
Over reacting?
That is debatable, and only after nonreversible damage is done would we not know if it is overreacting.

Salmon first.. If not leave and go back where you came from.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, THAT'S what I'm talking about, TT...this is a real friendly place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington