Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,934,594 times

Advertisements

TrueTimbers,
When we decided to focus on the Olympic rain shadow areas, I first checked US rowing site to find locations of OP rowing clubs. Then I checked aviation map to locate nearby airports. Our first criterion is a town/city within 30 minutes of driving to a rowing club and an airport. When we add other criteria such for suitable and affordable housing etc, things got narrowed down quite a bit! Marrowstone island may be a great place but it did not fit our criteria.

There are so many beautiful places in the OP and surrounding regions and states to visit. I could hardly wait to start my retirement if only my saving would grow faster. At the urge of a friend, I chipped in 2 bucks for Powerball tickets last week but we did not win ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 01:50 AM

121 posts, read 292,613 times
I live between Sequim and Port Angeles at 600 ' elevation and the weather is just grand. Yes, there are rowing clubs in Port Angeles and Port Townsend and there are numerous general aviation airports. Three I know of are private, three public. Check your Pilots guide. I don't think twice about traveling to Sequim, Port Angeles or Port Townsend, they're all in my neighborhood. Being a former "native" Californian, if you'll allow me, I'll give my "subjective" impression of the three communities, PA, Sequim & PT. Port Townsend: cute, quaint, awesome late 1800's architecture, nice tourist shops, beautiful Victorian homes. Sequim, cute downtown area, lovely community playhouse, big box stores at west end of town, popular city with the seniors. More youth and families are moving in and complementing the gentle, laid-back town vibes. Port Angeles; a true, unexploited beauty, rough around the edges, Port Angeles's beauty remains hidden. Port Angeles has always been described as "blue collar" but without a strong job base, this is no longer true. Retired folks and businesses that rely on sportsmen, outdoor enthusiasts and tourists have become the mainstay. Poverty rubs shoulders with wealth in Port Angeles.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:15 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
I live between Sequim and Port Angeles at 600 ' elevation and the weather is just grand. Yes, there are rowing clubs in Port Angeles and Port Townsend and there are numerous general aviation airports. Three I know of are private, three public. Check your Pilots guide. I don't think twice about traveling to Sequim, Port Angeles or Port Townsend, they're all in my neighborhood. Being a former "native" Californian, if you'll allow me, I'll give my "subjective" impression of the three communities, PA, Sequim & PT. Port Townsend: cute, quaint, awesome late 1800's architecture, nice tourist shops, beautiful Victorian homes. Sequim, cute downtown area, lovely community playhouse, big box stores at west end of town, popular city with the seniors. More youth and families are moving in and complementing the gentle, laid-back town vibes. Port Angeles; a true, unexploited beauty, rough around the edges, Port Angeles's beauty remains hidden. Port Angeles has always been described as "blue collar" but without a strong job base, this is no longer true. Retired folks and businesses that rely on sportsmen, outdoor enthusiasts and tourists have become the mainstay. Poverty rubs shoulders with wealth in Port Angeles.
Most succinct description so far!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,934,594 times
Fairwinds,
Your insights on these cities are very much appreciated. I think we can relocate in any of them. I have 'saved' about 25 homes fitting our home search criteria in all three cities. Our prefer location is between Sequim and Port Angeles but there are only 2 or 3 houses for sale in that area (likely to be near your home). Most of the houses cluster west of Sequim Valley Airport so they are a bit of a distance to the boat house located on Ediz Hook Drive.
We will visit all the airports talking to pilots to learn more about the year around flying condition before completely rule out Port Townsend due to concern with it being too foggy and windy.
There is one really nice house west of Port Angeles near Elwha river with water and mountain view which we will definitely check out. However, it may be gone by the time we see it like several other nice homes. Oh well, it will be at least a year before we move so something nice may come up later.
We are looking forward to our visit in the next few weeks.
Thank you.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,607 times
I have a question.. I do have a pretty good working knowledge of the PNW climate as I do post on here about the weather. However, I am interested in anyone who has lived for a period of time in the Sequim/Port Angeles area on the frequency of thunderstorms. I know it's maybe a couple of days a year on the average, or do you get more? Also, high winds in those area's. With the Olympics to the south, is Sequim subject to damaging winds coming down from the mountains? How often is Sequim and PA subject to high winds?

If I ever was to relocate to the PNW, the northern Oly. Pen. would be a contender, but being I have lived in Oklahoma, thunderstorms would be something I would seriously miss.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I have a question.. I do have a pretty good working knowledge of the PNW climate as I do post on here about the weather. However, I am interested in anyone who has lived for a period of time in the Sequim/Port Angeles area on the frequency of thunderstorms. I know it's maybe a couple of days a year on the average, or do you get more? Also, high winds in those area's. With the Olympics to the south, is Sequim subject to damaging winds coming down from the mountains? How often is Sequim and PA subject to high winds?

If I ever was to relocate to the PNW, the northern Oly. Pen. would be a contender, but being I have lived in Oklahoma, thunderstorms would be something I would seriously miss.
This WI resident is planning to miss thunderstorms when she retires to Sequim in 5-7 years. And to relish the few that will occur.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
I am interested in mountain winds in Sequim.. I am pretty sure it does not happen. Those strong winds out of the cascades are when really cold air in the interior is up against the warm coastal air. Not the case with the.Olympics.

Thunderstorms.. I hate them hot.sleepless nights yuck of the eastern US.. Man to many close hits,.with appliances fried,.and shop on fire.for me.

Wind in PT today bigg time, whipping out of the south.east, but rainshadow effect,.just light mist.on and off. Only a few minutes of rain just now.as the wind died down. Heard south of here got steady rain.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
East PA today & tonight, some rain, a little wind, not so much. Temperatures have risen with return of rain. This area does not get thunderstorms. In past 4 years, I can only remember one, & it was very short & mild, July 2012, one afternoon very humid for this area. There are multiple microclimates here, I drive through changes between where I live & work, it's amazing.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:26 AM

576 posts, read 2,261,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I've lived on the peninsula for about a dozen years now (my wife and I grew up in the Seattle area). As mentioned above, thunderstorms aren't an issue here. High winds on the other hand can be. Particularly on the west end (of the county).

We lived on the bluff in Port Angeles for about 10 years and then built on Sequim Bay a couple of years ago. I'd say as a generalization, we'll get a couple of wind storms each winter that will knock down scattered trees or power lines around the region. My feeling is that we had a little more wind when we lived in PA vs. Sequim but our location now (in Sequim) is more sheltered from weather off the Strait, so that might account for my perceived difference.

Thisplacesucks mentioned our microclimates. This is an important point to keep in mind as there seem to be a dozen exceptions to the "weather rules" for the peninsula that people mention here on CD. The tricky part is those microclimates seem to move around and about so it's tough to be absolute when discussing OP (Olympic Peninsula) weather, or even Northwest weather in general.

If you're interested, Cliff Mass (University of Washington Professor of Atmospheric Sciences) wrote a book entitled "The Weather of the Pacific Northwest". It nicely describes the unique weather patterns of the Northwest with a lot of good information on our rain shadow effect.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I am interested in mountain winds in Sequim.. I am pretty sure it does not happen. Those strong winds out of the cascades are when really cold air in the interior is up against the warm coastal air. Not the case with the.Olympics.

Thunderstorms.. I hate them hot.sleepless nights yuck of the eastern US.. Man to many close hits,.with appliances fried,.and shop on fire.for me.

Wind in PT today bigg time, whipping out of the south.east, but rainshadow effect,.just light mist.on and off. Only a few minutes of rain just now.as the wind died down. Heard south of here got steady rain.
I get that TT. Our house in WI did get a lightning hit a few years ago...actually the ground right in front of the house. I was home. Unbelievably bright flash followed by our intercom blowing off the wall onto the floor and all three dogs totally freaked. Fried our intercom, furnace, garage door openers and dehumidifier. Fire Dept. scoped the interior walls with their heat sensing camera to see if we were harboring any hot stuff.

Shop on fire...yuck.

Still, I love the crashes and the thunderous skies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington