Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I don't get the analogy. Root beer or any kind of pop is not illegal. The "beer" part is historical semantics, and not applicable to this conversation.

Polygamy has many laws specifically making it illegal. Living with two wives but only being married to one of them is a loophole in the law that forbids that kind of relationship. The law was written to discourage this type of behavior.

The correct analogy would be that it's like buying a pistol for a minor - they are illegal for a kid to buy but not illegal for them to shoot. So, if your kid wants a pistol but can't buy one - you are skirting the law by buying it for him, i.e. it's not illegal, but the law was written as it was to prevent the kid from having the gun. Same with this "plural marriage" thing.
Skirting the point...

Libertarians do not want Government micromanaging their lives!!!

What gives you or anyone else the right to have a law that tells consenting adults what they can and can not do in their bedroom???

I believe you are in the minority with opposition to this.

Liberals and Libertarians think it is no ones business, and many groups of Conservative fundamental religious groups consider the practice within their belief structure too, at least historically, as RC pointed out.

So this leaves mostly only the southern Christian right.. ie mainstream Republican party in opposition...!

No wonder the party is fracturing so badly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Skirting the point...

Libertarians do not want Government micromanaging their lives!!!

What gives you or anyone else the right to have a law that tells consenting adults what they can and can not do in their bedroom???

I believe you are in the minority with opposition to this.

Liberals and Libertarians think it is no ones business, and many groups of Conservative fundamental religious groups consider the practice within their belief structure too, at least historically, as RC pointed out.

So this leaves mostly only the southern Christian right.. ie mainstream Republican party in opposition...!

No wonder the party is fracturing so badly..
Liberals may think it is no one's business, but they sure think that controlling gun ownership, soda-size choices, etc, are their business. Just the other day on the main part of this forum, a liberal started a thread saying that he thought the government should take "drastic steps" to make all US citizens live in cities instead of the country, because it's cheaper for the government. But liberals don't like micromanaging people...

Old 07-18-2014, 12:55 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
Quote:
I don't get the analogy. Root beer or any kind of pop is not illegal. The "beer" part is historical semantics, and not applicable to this conversation.
Relationships are not illegal. Having more than one is not illegal.

Quote:
Polygamy has many laws specifically making it illegal. Living with two wives but only being married to one of them is a loophole in the law that forbids that kind of relationship.
The law doesn't forbid it. Calling a plural relationship polygamy or marriage is naming it something that it legally isn't, like root beer not being beer. It's not skirting the law, it isn't touched by the law. Maybe in the future polygamy will be legal, I have no skin in the game, but I don't think the government should be interfering in who people are allowed to have relationships with.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:40 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Relationships are not illegal. Having more than one is not illegal.

The law doesn't forbid it. Calling a plural relationship polygamy or marriage is naming it something that it legally isn't, like root beer not being beer. It's not skirting the law, it isn't touched by the law. Maybe in the future polygamy will be legal, I have no skin in the game, but I don't think the government should be interfering in who people are allowed to have relationships with.
Well, the OP called it "plural marriage", not me.

And I agree that there are a lot of things that the government should not be interfering in, I'll just leave it at that.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 259 times
Default Result of your journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by socofam View Post
Our "dilemma" is this....we are a young family who happens to be in a plural marriage situation. (One husband, 2 wives, and between us, 6 kids). We are not religious, so we aren't your typical FLDS polygamists. We need to be somewhere where we are accepted. Our kids are young, 10 and under. We are extremely normal people in every way. We don't have radical, liberal beliefs. We are just like the family next door, but like 2 combined families.

So my question is this: We are considering moving from out of state to Washington. Specifically, we like Maple Valley. Our hope is to find a little acerage outside the city, but our kids still attend Tahoma S.D. Schools in Maple Valley. How do you think we would be received? Are people there ultra conservative church goers? We are not the type to flaunt our personal lives, so while we would want to be open about it, we wouldn't be parading ourselves down the street. We're hoping for a "live and let live" attitude and for our kids to not have to hide their family. To have friends over, play sports, etc.

Thanks so much for any thoughts.
Hello,

I recently came across your post after my sister introduced me to a show called Sister Wives, and I was curious if Seattle (where I currently live) has a plig community. So I Googled exactly that, and your post was the first to popup on my search. I'm naturally a curious person. I really enjoy learning about people from all walks of life, especially if they're different from mine. I recognized that this post is from 10 years ago, but I'm reaching out in hopes that you will still respond. I'd like to know about the outcome of your search for an accepting community. Were you able to find one? Did you stay in Maple Valley? I'd be happy to communicate outside of the forum if you prefer.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington