Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:00 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
So here we have a conservative Jew (you) and a eclectic Pagan (me) in agreement..

Why fight Mother Nature??..............
The population of monogamous Western countries are dropping at dangerous rates. On the other hand, in polygamous countries the populations are growing out of control... Well, this is not the case of monogamous Eastern countries, but there is not many polygamous countries where population growth is not exploding.

As you say TrueTimbers, Mother Nature speaks for itself. Once upon a time, long , long ago, polygamy was the status quo of marriage. When men had to go off to battle or leave home for long periods of time, there tended to be quite a lack of men around. So, obviously, to prevent the extinction of their village, country, race, etc the people would require polygamous relationships to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
The population of monogamous Western countries are dropping at dangerous rates. On the other hand, in polygamous countries the populations are growing out of control... Well, this is not the case of monogamous Eastern countries, but there is not many polygamous countries where population growth is not exploding.

As you say TrueTimbers, Mother Nature speaks for itself. Once upon a time, long , long ago, polygamy was the status quo of marriage. When men had to go off to battle or leave home for long periods of time, there tended to be quite a lack of men around. So, obviously, to prevent the extinction of their village, country, race, etc the people would require polygamous relationships to survive.
This is a good thing!... Western and developed eastern countries having population drop.. Our consumption rates do not support higher population numbers.... (Utterly fascinating how this happens naturally without intervention!)

Population explosions IMHO is good in say chickens or rabbits, where their is a high death rate do to predators. It even can play a role in humans as it has in our history... And likely will again one day.

Is all about finding balance.. (And yes one area I have a "problem" with religions that promote popping out babies as fast as you can... IMO either it is just outdated doctrine, or a futile race to try to win dominance over other beliefs.) Just my belief... Sorry if it offends those that believe different..

Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
This is a good thing!... Western and developed eastern countries having population drop.. Our consumption rates do not support higher population numbers.... (Utterly fascinating how this happens naturally without intervention!)

Population explosions IMHO is good in say chickens or rabbits, where their is a high death rate do to predators. It even can play a role in humans as it has in our history... And likely will again one day.

Is all about finding balance.. (And yes one area I have a "problem" with religions that promote popping out babies as fast as you can... IMO either it is just outdated doctrine, or a futile race to try to win dominance over other beliefs.) Just my belief... Sorry if it offends those that believe different..
I agree with you to an extent here True Timbers, but not completely. I agree with your comment about BALANCE. Sadly, the population rates are decreasing so much in European countries and among Caucasians in the USA, that, in fact, that their future society will be very out of balance. There will be too many old and aging people and not enough young people to help the aging and ailing population. Also, this will put a horrible burden on the younger generation who will have to deal with the older population. There will not be enough people to properly manage our resources, fulfill jobs, maintain our cities, hospitals, farms, factories, etc..

What I am saying is, just like over-population wrecks havoc on society, so does under-population. Our world is suffering from both dilemmas, as crazy as it sounds. Some countries have way too many people, but others will not have enough people for those countries to subsist in the future. For example, countries like Czech Republic, Italy, Germany, etc are going to be extinct or threatened with extinction in the next century or so.

They say immigrants from other countries are the only reason the population growth in USA and Europe looks as high as it is; that if you took away this factor, it would be dangerously low. They say it takes at least 3.5 children per household to produce healthy population growth, especially in a modern society. Remember, it takes two people to make a marriage (unless your polygamous ) and you need at least 2 + children to match the number of the people who made the child.

In Russia, they are actually bribing people to have babies and giving financial incentives to Russian families who will have more children due to dangerous population decline. This is the exact opposite of what China is doing, where people are penalized for having too many children. A prime example of two opposite extremes of the population problem.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
I agree with you to an extent here True Timbers, but not completely. I agree with your comment about BALANCE. Sadly, the population rates are decreasing so much in European countries and among Caucasians in the USA, that, in fact, that their future society will be very out of balance.
So white people should have children because brown people are?

That is not balance, that is racism.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
Yes, if you believe in freedom. As long as they're taking good care of the kids it's no one's business.
Yep. That's the liberal drivel. Let anyone do whatever the hell they want, because if we don't we take the chance of (GASP!) offending someone. Apparently, mild personal offense is the worst possible condition on earth.

If you don't want to work, we won't say anything that might offend you - we'll just give you money from the government.

If you want to illegally cross our border, we won't say anything that might offend you, we'll just give you amnesty and encourage more illegals to come.

And if you want to marry two people, well then technically that's illegal, but if you want to shack up with two people to skirt the laws, then that's okay, because if we say something that might offend someone.

Did I sum-up the Cliff Notes from the liberal handbook correctly?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
What type of activities do you do in your free time to know so much about guys like him?
Read the news?

Old 07-17-2014, 12:05 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
And if you want to marry two people, well then technically that's illegal, but if you want to shack up with two people to skirt the laws, then that's okay,
That's like saying that a kid drinking root beer is skirting the law.

Sounds like you aren't a fan of libertarians either.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:18 PM

291 posts, read 392,269 times
I think you'll find a lot more people into swinging and open relationships than would understand a plural marriage, but that's just my experience.

People are not so much open minded as they are progressive.

The idea that you'd have one man with two women in a marriage situation (legally or not) is not going to strike them as sexually liberated. Sexually liberated would be not being married and you all messing with whomever you please. Instead the guy in your situation gets two and both of the women get 1/2. (Unless I'm misunderstanding and all the women are bi so you actually all three of you have two partners to share?)

So I don't think you'll necessarily find the acceptance you're looking for, though most people will just be quiet about it.

Quote:
One of the problems we have with where we are now is that we live in a pretty small town and people here just do not seem to be interested in "letting anyone new in", if you know what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean because much of Washington and Oregon are like this. People tend to have small groups of friends and to hang out with their friends. It's not a large-party, outgoing area. I'm sure Maple Valley is nice. But if you're looking to meet a lot of new people and make friends easily, people who accept your lifestyle and don't question it--I don't know what to tell you.

You're most welcome here but I don't know if you will find what you are looking for.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmition View Post
that's like saying that a kid drinking root beer is skirting the law.

sounds like you aren't a fan of libertarians either.
ps90?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
That's like saying that a kid drinking root beer is skirting the law.

Sounds like you aren't a fan of libertarians either.
I don't get the analogy. Root beer or any kind of pop is not illegal. The "beer" part is historical semantics, and not applicable to this conversation.

Polygamy has many laws specifically making it illegal. Living with two wives but only being married to one of them is a loophole in the law that forbids that kind of relationship. The law was written to discourage this type of behavior.

The correct analogy would be that it's like buying a pistol for a minor - they are illegal for a kid to buy but not illegal for them to shoot. So, if your kid wants a pistol but can't buy one - you are skirting the law by buying it for him, i.e. it's not illegal, but the law was written as it was to prevent the kid from having the gun. Same with this "plural marriage" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington