Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:36 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times

Advertisements

Hey, PS90, are you still out there? Once again, I am contemplating the Colville job. They have a full time position in my field open there at the hospital. I am just about to take an Exam that is really important, that is on March 21st.

After I pass that Exam I will be ready to look in to other opportunities. How is Colville living going? Is the drive-in theater going strong? How about the downtown theater? Still Wal*Mart, Safeway and Super1 all still there? I am thinking once again about applying for that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:11 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hey, PS90, are you still out there? Once again, I am contemplating the Colville job. They have a full time position in my field open there at the hospital. I am just about to take an Exam that is really important, that is on March 21st.

After I pass that Exam I will be ready to look in to other opportunities. How is Colville living going? Is the drive-in theater going strong? How about the downtown theater? Still Wal*Mart, Safeway and Super1 all still there? I am thinking once again about applying for that job.
Hey Elko,

You sure do get around. I thought you were in Moses Lake, but on that last page you said you were in KC. Was I wrong about Moses Lake?

I had never visited Colville until mid-2011. Now, it's 2017 and I have no plans to go anywhere else.

I would warn you that it's certainly not a town for everyone. It's very conservative - I'm firmly right-leaning, but sometimes Colville is even a little too conservative for me. And there are some drug problems, which leads to some property crime and domestic violence issues - but it's no worse than any of the other small Washington towns that I've lived.

I've heard talk about the local "good ol' boys club", but I haven't witnessed it. Granted, I may be an unofficial member of the Washington state-wide redneck and good ol' boy club, so that may help me out, but I have a fairly high level job that deals with the public, and I have certainly never been treated differently or iced-out because I didn't know (or wasn't related ) to any of the town big-wigs. YMMV, possibly.

But it's an outdoorsman's (outdoorsperson's?) paradise. Except for ocean/seaside recreation, there is pretty much no outdoor activity that is not available within 30 minutes of Colville. Spokane is less than a hour's drive away, if you need big-city stuff. And, yes, we do have a Wal-Mart, Safeway, and Super1. We even had a Pizza Hut for about 2 years, but that just recently closed it's doors.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:29 AM

Good to hear. If someone is politically neutral, would that make things tough on them? I literally take no side whatsoever with politics. My job is going well here in Kansas City, and, really, I am working more hours than I would like. I need more of a set schedule of hours weekly that would allow me enough time off for my church activities. Right now, a lot of that church time is not available, and that will not work for me. Indications are that this will continue to be the case with the small department I work in here in Kansas City. Hence the interest in the Colville job once again. I noticed yesterday that the job went to fulltime, the last time I looked it was prn or even part-time. So I have an e-mail in with the HR lady there at Providence - Mt. Carmel Hospital.

We are about 7 months in to a 1-year lease here in our Grandview, MO, rental house, Grandview is one of KC's many suburbs. I do get around - it has to do with getting the right "fit" with my work. Right when I was getting this job the Colville job was contacting me to do a Skype-type interview. So my application was making it's way through the right layers of people there. The HR lady told me the Hiring Manager wanted to make sure I knew that the job was in the small town of Colville. I do know where it is and that is a big part of why I am still interested - it sounds beautiful and remote, yet only an hour away from the big city, Spokane in this case.

The Drive-In Theater in Colville is still open? Thank you for your response - I will come on this thread with more questions as they come about. I'm glad you're still on here - you're my Washington state contact, eastern side. I have three sisters in Washington, one in Okanagon, one in Bothell and one in Renton, as well. We'll see where this might go - there's a lot of dynamics going on that have to line up right for this to work, and, as with all things, prayer to the Creator of us all will be relied upon to help with everything.

I would be looking for all the travel to stop there in Colville, much like you successfully did.

Last edited by elkotronics; 03-17-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Good to hear. If someone is politically neutral, would that make things tough on them? I literally take no side whatsoever with politics. My job is going well here in Kansas City, and, really, I am working more hours than I would like. I need more of a set schedule of hours weekly that would allow me enough time off for my church activities. Right now, a lot of that church time is not available, and that will not work for me. Indications are that this will continue to be the case with the small department I work in here in Kansas City. Hence the interest in the Colville job once again. I noticed yesterday that the job went to fulltime, the last time I looked it was prn or even part-time. So I have an e-mail in with the HR lady there at Providence - Mt. Carmel Hospital.

We are about 7 months in to a 1-year lease here in our Grandview, MO, rental house, Grandview is one of KC's many suburbs. I do get around - it has to do with getting the right "fit" with my work. Right when I was getting this job the Colville job was contacting me to do a Skype-type interview. So my application was making it's way through the right layers of people there. The HR lady told me the Hiring Manager wanted to make sure I knew that the job was in the small town of Colville. I do know where it is and that is a big part of why I am still interested - it sounds beautiful and remote, yet only an hour away from the big city, Spokane in this case.

The Drive-In Theater in Colville is still open? Thank you for your response - I will come on this thread with more questions as they come about. I'm glad you're still on here - you're my Washington state contact, eastern side. I have three sisters in Washington, one in Okanagon, one in Bothell and one in Renton, as well. We'll see where this might go - there's a lot of dynamics going on that have to line up right for this to work, and, as with all things, prayer to the Creator of us all will be relied upon to help with everything.

I would be looking for all the travel to stop there in Colville, much like you successfully did.
I think, if you're not a militant, vocal liberal, you will be just fine here. One of my co-workers actually is a far-left-liberal - to the point of throwing a big party when Obama won the election the first time - and everyone I know just kind of ignores him when he gets started about politics.

Yes, we do still have one of the last 2 drive-in theaters still functioning in Washington state. I've gone a few times, although it's almost more of a novelty than anything, since the picture and especially the sound aren't great. They did get a brand new screen and digital projector recently, though, so I think they are planning to stay in business for a while.

I've been to Mt Carmel a few times - they have a good rating and a nice hospital. That's about all I know about them.

Like I said, I didn't know anyone here before I moved here, but I've definitely been welcomed, so I don't think there's any reason that you wouldn't be.

I'm still a noob in Colville, but I'll try to answer any other questions you may have.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:28 PM

You've already been a great help, man. I remain interested in the job and the small town of Colville and I'll check back in here often.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 AM

I found a City of Colville online flyer, if you will, and downloaded it onto my desktop. What a beautiful little corner of Washington state! Just gorgeous and the water there will be great.

I have been in contact with the Colville Hospital's HR lady. She's the same contact as last June of 2016. So they "know me" and I "know them."

I am excited to give this job a try because of the area's beauty, getting back to my home state of Washington so I can visit my three sisters, and I have a good friend, a former Allied Healthcare Manager of mine, that I am good friends with, that lives in Elk, WA, which is only an hour from Colville. So many reasons to pursue this job.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM

Just sent an e-mail to the new HR contact in Colville. We'll go from there - gonna probably have to update my hospital online application. Theyll have to show me how to unlock the online sytem of errors one experiences while using their online application system.

I'll also have to renew my expired medical license at the State of Washington Department of Health. That will be a real bugger, but, oh well. Some things are worth working for, eh? I'll do it because I'm used to red tape and delay. It's part of the human condition. We've come to expect it. In the end, it won't really matter too much.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:30 PM

Update - the person in charge of hiring for my specialty said they're really interested in talking to me tomorrow if possible. For an introductory 15-20 phone conversation. Whoo-hoo! That's a start. I'll go from there. I have a real possibility at this Colville job and you know what? I'm excited! This one soundslike it would be a great fit for me! And they're hungry for a hire. Excellent.

Of course, dudes, I'll be on here tomorrow ta let you all know what becomes of my phone interview. Two challenges are ahead, that I know of. Getting housing is one of them. There aren't many in Colville. We may buy an RV and just rent a spot somewhere. That remains a possibility. The other is going through the process machinery to get my Washington state Allied Healthcare license renewed. For those of you that don't know - to renew your license through any state with Medical you have to send each state you've ever been licensed in a sheet of paper with a personal check for payment. It's usually only $20-$35 for each state - then they send it to the State of Washington Department of Health. The Washington State DOH then keeps a file for you and waits. Once they have all of the singular state's verification of licensure, they go on to the next thing in their protocol they need from you. It takes a while - but, in cases like this sent from God, you just patiently wait.

Boy Howdy, am I getting excited. A chance like this only comes along once, or twice, maybe, in a lifetime. I need to punch the yes card for this job. Whoo-hhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Update - the person in charge of hiring for my specialty said they're really interested in talking to me tomorrow if possible. For an introductory 15-20 phone conversation. Whoo-hoo! That's a start. I'll go from there. I have a real possibility at this Colville job and you know what? I'm excited! This one soundslike it would be a great fit for me! And they're hungry for a hire. Excellent.

Of course, dudes, I'll be on here tomorrow ta let you all know what becomes of my phone interview. Two challenges are ahead, that I know of. Getting housing is one of them. There aren't many in Colville. We may buy an RV and just rent a spot somewhere. That remains a possibility. The other is going through the process machinery to get my Washington state Allied Healthcare license renewed. For those of you that don't know - to renew your license through any state with Medical you have to send each state you've ever been licensed in a sheet of paper with a personal check for payment. It's usually only $20-$35 for each state - then they send it to the State of Washington Department of Health. The Washington State DOH then keeps a file for you and waits. Once they have all of the singular state's verification of licensure, they go on to the next thing in their protocol they need from you. It takes a while - but, in cases like this sent from God, you just patiently wait.

Boy Howdy, am I getting excited. A chance like this only comes along once, or twice, maybe, in a lifetime. I need to punch the yes card for this job. Whoo-hhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 AM

The initial phone interview went well with HR and next is setting up an interview with the Hiring Manager. Everything is going very well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington