Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 12:30 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times

Advertisements

I lived in Wenatchee for 13 years before moving to SW Washington 2 years ago. We really miss Wenatchee, the ease of getting around, great people, locality, etc. We spent a lot time exploring wineries, Leavenworth (a great place to visit during the week when the Seattle crowds are not there), convenience of a ski hill, and 4 season recreation. I miss the Clinic (now Confluence) for access to healthcare, and all our medical providers we had during the year. While in Wenatchee we never felt we were isolated from any services we needed. We moved because the kids and grandkids are in Portland and we wanted to be closer. We don't regret the move, but overtime I get on I5 South I and join the traffic at any time of day, I long for Wenatchee Avenue. We still miss some of our favorite Wenatchee restaurants, especially South. Good luck in Wenatchee!

Jane917 - thank you for your honest assessment of Wenatchee. I can see how its small infrastructure could get jammed up traffic-wise, but all the many benefits of the area outshine that problem. I am eager to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 PM

Nope, sorry. Never owned a Kia. We bought our fleet work trucks from Cascade autocenter - their prices were okay, not great, but they always worked with us because we spent a decent amount of money there.

I can see how the 170 mile drive east to George Kee Kia will save me money on a new Kia. Just pricing Rio's and Forte's, I can get a 2017 Forte sedan at the Wenatchee dealer for $17,500 but one at George Kee in Spokane for $14,700. That is for one in a beautiful deep sea blue color. A $3,000 difference for a short drive. Then I can cruise over to my old Cardiopulmonary Manager's house in tiny Elk, WA, to visit. Done. Deal.

Oh...wait a minute. I can't buy a new car! I'd be in big trouble if I did that!

2017 Kia Forte sedan in deep sea blue

Here's a 2017 Kia Forte sedan in Garnet Red

I really like that one in Garnet Red and George Kee Kia has one on sale for only $15,209. That is a great price. I really like the new 2018 Kia Rio 5 but this Forte sedan has more interior room. Both cars have 6-speed manual transmissions - a must for me. Me-me-me.

Last edited by elkotronics; 08-26-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 12:48 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Nope, sorry. Never owned a Kia. We bought our fleet work trucks from Cascade autocenter - their prices were okay, not great, but they always worked with us because we spent a decent amount of money there.

I can see how the 170 mile drive east to George Kee Kia will save me money on a new Kia. Just pricing Rio's and Forte's, I can get a 2017 Forte sedan at the Wenatchee dealer for $17,500 but one at George Kee in Spokane for $14,700. That is for one in a beautiful deep sea blue color. A $3,000 difference for a short drive. Then I can cruise over to my old Cardiopulmonary Manager's house in tiny Elk, WA, to visit. Done. Deal.

Oh...wait a minute. I can't buy a new car! I'd be in big trouble if I did that!

2017 Kia Forte sedan in deep sea blue
I drove to Caldwell, ID from Colville to buy my 2015 Ram. It was an 8-hour drive to save almost $8K. Worth it to me.

The drive from Wenatchee to Spokane is just less than 3 hours for that shiny new rig.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:52 PM

I drove to Caldwell, ID from Colville to buy my 2015 Ram. It was an 8-hour drive to save almost $8K. Worth it to me.

The drive from Wenatchee to Spokane is just less than 3 hours for that shiny new rig.

You're right on, PS90. I don't really think that driving to Seattle would save me anything over George Gee Kia in Spokane Valley, either.

I may eventually work in Moses Lake, WA, too, PS90. Confluence Health is planning on expanding their service to Moses Lake. If that happens I would either sleep in the Sleep Lab there and drive back home to Wenatchee, or, just move permanently to Moses Lake. Interesting how life takes you back to where you've been sometimes.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 986 times
PS90; my family and I are considering a relocation from Bend to build and start a small hobby farm as the cost of living here is really out of control. I read a bunch of your posts here in this thread and others. Do you still like living in Colville? How is the internet and cell coverage situation in Colville? You had mentioned you were in the process of building... how was that experience in Stevens County? Were you contracting it out and if so what were construction costs like? I have many more questions but thought I would start there. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack80 View Post
PS90; my family and I are considering a relocation from Bend to build and start a small hobby farm as the cost of living here is really out of control. I read a bunch of your posts here in this thread and others. Do you still like living in Colville? How is the internet and cell coverage situation in Colville? You had mentioned you were in the process of building... how was that experience in Stevens County? Were you contracting it out and if so what were construction costs like? I have many more questions but thought I would start there. Thanks in advance.
Hi Jack. Yes, we are still in Colville and for now, at least, we have no intention on going anywhere. It's a great little town and the scenery is gorgeous. Nowhere is perfect, but we sure like it here.

Cell phone coverage is good for the major players - ATT and Verizon, but there are still dead spots in the rural areas, and (I've heard) that Sprint and the other smaller carriers' coverage are pretty terrible. Internet is decent, not great (if you need good internet speeds, I would consider Pend Oreille County. They have a fiber network - we don't).

We are still building our house... One thing that I've found is that Real Estate prices here are very reasonable, but construction costs are regional - meaning that the local area doesn't dictate costs. So, what that means right now is that costs of materials are way high compared to real estate costs - which is not a good deal for anyone building a spec home or a home for quick turn-around, because you are likely going to end-up with a house that cost more than it's worth. I have been told that's just a side-effect of the current housing market, though. Real Estate prices may catch up to costs around here, but who knows when. We don't plan to be selling the new house anytime soon, so hopefully that doesn't bite us in the ass...

One last note. I don't know or care what your political persuasions are, but I just thought that, since you are coming from Bend, you might like to know that this area is VERY conservative. Like the rest of Washington, we take a very "live and let live" attitude, but for the most part, all our local political reps are GOP, most of the people you talk to are anti-wolf-reintroduction, and "gun control" is fightin' words...

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Internet.../ home
Apparently not..., all of Stevens County is Fibered (as is much of eastern WA) - not like the parched internet desert of the we_tside rural areas (Too many trees / mtns for broad coverage).

I have a friend that built a rural place between Colville and Ione. (He has super cheap, super fast internet for the last 15 yrs) Maybe because he is closer to the dam?. He made a lot of trips to Spokane and CDL with his 24' trailer for building supplies. That would cramp my building style, as I use a lot of 'deconstruction' / Habitat materials, and 'extra' (mis-ordered) custom components (Windows, doors, cabinets, light fixtures, plumbing...) from building material dealers. It Keeps my creativity rich, buildings unique, and costs LOW. (This is why I FIRST build a shop with apartment, THEN collect my materials for house, then design (according to materials available), finally I build. (No rush, due to property tax assessment... the shop / apartment / RV is fine for a few yrs. And a real bonus AFTER house is done. (Guest house / playroom, rental, hobby room).

Building... take your time. The more you do yourself, the better it will turn out... (and you don't have to FIRE / redo contractor snafus. We like a lot of milled woodwork, built-ins, and stone (indoors). A contractor does not have the time / interest to make your house (quick) a unique craftsman masterpiece (slow). YOU have to live with it... take your time.... Most important... think ahead (add extra wiring and plumbing), and be really, really, really picky on your drywall crew (and learn spanish!), They are adding the 'final' touch... visible for next 100 yrs... you don't want a sloppy finish!

Yes... materials are REALLY expensive these days. ~ 2x what they were 15 yrs ago. I am still able to build for < $100/ sf, but my own custom home was $38 (including land / well, septic, power, road, landscaping, ...). Thus I am keen on buying a beater home (that comes with well, septic, power, driveway, fences, outbuildings and much easier and cheaper to permit. In SWWA 'Impact Fees' can be $20k+ (the fees to ONLY convert bare land to 'occupied / residence'). Permits / plan review / inspections are all in addition to the Impact fees.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-26-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Internet.../ home
Apparently not..., all of Stevens County is Fibered (as is much of eastern WA) - not like the parched internet desert of the we_tside rural areas (Too many trees / mtns for broad coverage).

I have a friend that built a rural place between Colville and Ione. (He has super cheap, super fast internet for the last 15 yrs) Maybe because he is closer to the dam?.
If he's close to the dam, then that's Pend Orielle County. Stevens County/Colville doesn't have any type of fiber internet. The best we have is cable or over-the-air wireless.

Quote:
Yes... materials are REALLY expensive these days. ~ 2x what they were 15 yrs ago. I am still able to build for < $100/ sf, but my own custom home was $38 (including land / well, septic, power, road, landscaping, ...). Thus I am keen on buying a beater home (that comes with well, septic, power, driveway, fences, outbuildings and much easier and cheaper to permit. In SWWA 'Impact Fees' can be $20k+ (the fees to ONLY convert bare land to 'occupied / residence'). Permits / plan review / inspections are all in addition to the Impact fees.
I agree about cost increases. My parents built a house about 4 years ago - Avista charged them $13,000 for buried power line of about 1300 feet, including a transformer for about $1800. We put in our buried power last year - which was just over 200 feet, for $7000, including the transformer which now costs about $3500. Just the power installation cost in Stevens County has basically doubled in less than 3 years.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 792 times
I've got 20 acres outside Northport (about 35 miles north of Colville and 8 miles south of the border) that I'm about to put on the market. Four acres are certified organic. I grow organic garlic but we are ready to move south after 20 years on the side of the mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington