Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 11,699 times

Advertisements

Now that I am retired, I am considering a move back to where I grew up (was born in Soap Lake). Although I am looking for more mountains than available in the Soap lake area, I am considering the Colville area. Employment is not a significant consideration; but, fishing, especially for trout and other salmonoids, is very important.

So, I am looking for fishing info in the Colvolle area. Housing is another consideration. I have been looking at the realty MLS in the area and do not anticipate a challenge there.

My wife quilts and is interested in any info about quilt shops, guilds, or anything else related in the area.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 03:03 PM

77 posts, read 406,019 times
Default Colville

My wife and I have looked at the area as well. I hope someone can post information on the area from a locals perspective. We are looking to get "off the grid" but not in a hippie way, but just in a conservation mode, but with the normal trappings of normal household life. Have you made a visit?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM

248 posts, read 805,107 times
Smile It is a very cute small town!

The town of Colville is growing, at a comfortable rate. There are things to do for all ages, that there is fishing readily available in the Columbia River or at Lake Roosevelt..along Kettle Falls. (Colville is only 8 miles from Kettle. )However, Colville has 3 major grocery stores, so many cute little stores, the Steven's County Courthouse and a Super Walmart which will have whatever you need... at any hour. It is open 24 hours!

Housing is very affordable, if you are retired - there are plenty of little shops that you can work at part time just to fill up some time of your week if you prefer. If not, you can live on your pension here and a housing is very afforable..especially if you compare it to the Spokane area.

I've been here for only 2 years, but am in love with the small town of Colville. The mountains, bald eagles, wild turkeys, moose, elk, cows, horses - everything - if you appreciate nature, this area is good for you. I've never lived in Kettle Falls, that is a much smaller town than Colville. But since we are so close, whatever you can't find in Kettle, Colville will have to offer.

Please contact me if you do have any questions that I can either look into or answer for you! Good luck with your moves!

Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM

7 posts, read 51,328 times
Default Bought land and will be moving this year.

My wife and I have finally retired. Both of us are fairly young for retirees and wanted to find a place to put our "base camp". I am retired military and was keenly interested in the medical services in the area that would provide care using my medical insurance. Colville fits the bill. The hospital and clinic associated with the hospital are very good from what I have learned.

We decided that developing raw land and building was for us. We bought 23 acres at first then added 4 more later. We are about 7.5 mi. from town with a driving time of about 12 minutes. Traffic is a none issue. When the mill in town lets out the rush hour seems to be about 5 minutes long. Land prices are very reasonable but are going up. This part of Washington has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Both summer and winter has just jaw dropping views.

I too like to fish. The area has Kokanee, Walleye, bass and trout. There are more but off the top of my head I can't think of the others. What is interesting about the area as far as fishing goes, is that Lake Roosevelt is actually the back up of the Colombia River caused by Grand Coulee Dam. There are many lakes with abundant fish as well as Natl Forest Lands with lakes that can be hiked to. If your a hunter Deer, Wild Turkey (tons of Turkeys) and a hunter bagged a Moose last fall. I have not seen Elk but a assume they are there.

If your a skier, 49 North is a ski resort just east of Chewelah which is 25 minutes south of Colville.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:38 PM

I forgot to mention I was told that there are Brown Trout in the area. I have not seen them but was told by my realtor who fishes.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Auburn,

Congratulations! I need to keep in touch with you as my wife and I are considering a retirement as I hit 40. I would semi retire, most likely try my sales hand in real estate, but we too would like raw land and build a home. Hwen will you start up in WA? Move into apartment while you build? I like to ask questions and see how others have plotted their course.

Craig

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 PM

Default If things go right......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small and solar View Post
Auburn,

Congratulations! I need to keep in touch with you as my wife and I are considering a retirement as I hit 40. I would semi retire, most likely try my sales hand in real estate, but we too would like raw land and build a home. Hwen will you start up in WA? Move into apartment while you build? I like to ask questions and see how others have plotted their course.

Craig
we'll sell our place here in western Washington and move this summer. Most likely we'll rent for the build time. I do know that a lot of folks from western Washington are making the move to the Colville area including the Northeast corner of the state. Heck, I just found out that my mechanic is closing his shop and moving next year to about 20 miles from where we'll be. His son is already there on 60 acres he bought.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Hotels to stay at while in either Colville or Kettle Falls?

Old 04-12-2008, 04:11 PM

248 posts, read 805,107 times
There is Benny's which is right on the main street - walking distance to restaurants and stores. There is also a new coffee shop going in behind Benny's and there is a indoor pool too! I've never stayed there, but I do know people who have and said that it is nice. There is also a Comfort Suites on the other side of town on 395 ... so if you want a main chain, you can always stay there.

If you have anymore questions, please DM me, I will be very glad to help you on your trip!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM

197 posts, read 604,991 times
I just can't help myself.......Spokane is polluted! I think anyone who plans on buying property should research the history of the area, and the EPA before making a choice. You can't trust anyone to protect you. Be informed. If you plan on buying land and building on it, have the soil tested for arsenic and lead.

Another good read, concerning the smelter plant in Canada and the Columbia river:
Colville Tribes file lawsuit over sludge in Lake Roosevelt

The Spokesman-Review.com - EPA to clean up lead from homes near Colville

Two families near Colville, Wash., have been forced to move from rental homes that sit on land where lead levels are 12 times the federal standard.
Arsenic levels also were extremely high in soil samples collected by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

mod cut: text removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-16-2008 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: copyright issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington