Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 PM

93 posts, read 560,475 times

Advertisements

Yes it's very scenic indeed but I agree about the isolation. As much as I love it even I do get cabin fever at times. Sometimes I feel a need to sip Pinacoladas at a cosmopolitan yacht club or soak up the sun on a tropical beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 AM

77 posts, read 406,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Not to change your mind out of Washington, have you looked around Lewiston, Idaho or Clarkston,WA? The weather can be hot in the summer and the winters are mild.
There's also surrounding towns if the cities are too big. Moscow, Idaho is a nice University Town.
We have not (yet) ooked into Lewiston or Clarkston. I like the idea of the Moscow area. We have time as I will not be done with my MBA until late 2009, and after that it is the task of find a job in the area I want at the level I am looking for.

I will check those out.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM

PS- what do you like about Lewiston, Clarkston and Moscow? geogrpahy? topography? weather, people? I have the freedom to consider lots of areas as we have no commitments. I hope to find a sopt where I can enjoy my kinda weather. I am one of those nuts who as long as there is sun and low wind 40's is tee shirt weather (must be the German Hugarian).

Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Moscow and north along the WA/ID border is nice and quite similar to Colville terrain. Moscow has the University, as does Pullman 10 miles west, but Moscow has some forest, where WA in that area has very little forest, but some and quite nice, rolling hills, very fertile. Moscow is a nice town that has plenty of services and culture and would not be as remote as Colville. (Both are nice areas). I guess you need to do some research on 'degree days' and determine the sunniest region. I will guess it is Moscow due to summer intensity. I have not lived a winter in eastern WA, but I hear it is pretty gray, for being 'sunny'. I might have to return to CO or WY to get my required sun. I'm sick and tired of cutting firewood, I need more solar gain, and am FREEZING today (rainy outside an 56 in the house) was 95 last week at this time. I prefer 75-80.

For a greater job selection, you might need Moscow or Sandpoint, ID. Colville is limited. Of particular concern to me is the upcoming WA state budget crunch. I can't afford any more taxes, which make WY pretty attractive. (Sheridan and Powell are my locations of choice)

Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Moscow and north along the WA/ID border is nice and quite similar to Colville terrain. Moscow has the University, as does Pullman 10 miles west, but Moscow has some forest, where WA in that area has very little forest, but some and quite nice, rolling hills, very fertile. Moscow is a nice town that has plenty of services and culture and would not be as remote as Colville. (Both are nice areas). I guess you need to do some research on 'degree days' and determine the sunniest region. I will guess it is Moscow due to summer intensity. I have not lived a winter in eastern WA, but I hear it is pretty gray, for being 'sunny'. I might have to return to CO or WY to get my required sun. I'm sick and tired of cutting firewood, I need more solar gain, and am FREEZING today (rainy outside an 56 in the house) was 95 last week at this time. I prefer 75-80.

For a greater job selection, you might need Moscow or Sandpoint, ID. Colville is limited. Of particular concern to me is the upcoming WA state budget crunch. I can't afford any more taxes, which make WY pretty attractive. (Sheridan and Powell are my locations of choice)
All excellent information. We have the time to look and visit these places. I like the idea of Moscow, tho I have never been. The only thing I need to make sure is that I have a decent airport hub w/in 2 hours. Thanks agin for the information.

RE: tax, does WA have a state income tax? I thought not, but I have been wrong b4.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small and solar View Post
RE: tax, does WA have a state income tax? I thought not, but I have been wrong b4.
no state income tax, yet... pretty healthy business (B&O) and sales tax, and usurious property taxes with strong potential to climb.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 PM

46 posts, read 209,592 times
Hello everyone! My family and I are looking into moving out of California in the next few years (and no, we're not the typical house-owning, beach-going, dog-in-purse kind of people), and are currently looking at Washington. Colville seems like a nice town, and I was wondering about the weather. When does winter (ie snow) usually start and when does the spring thaw usually take place? What's the employment outlook like? Since it's relatively close to Canada, are there any jobs that deal in translating or anything to do with French? Thanks for your help!

Elaina

Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Hi neighbors and future neighbors! We live just across the Pend Oreille River in Idaho north of Priest River. If we hadn't found our own paradise here, we probably would've ended up near Colville or Kettle Falls. It's beautiful there and I love the atmosphere of the towns.
Small and Solar, we lived off-grid here for almost 7 years on solar power (just grid-tied 2 months ago) so if you have any off-grid questions, feel free to ask.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover17 View Post
Hello everyone! My family and I are looking into moving out of California in the next few years (and no, we're not the typical house-owning, beach-going, dog-in-purse kind of people), and are currently looking at Washington. Colville seems like a nice town, and I was wondering about the weather. When does winter (ie snow) usually start and when does the spring thaw usually take place? What's the employment outlook like? Since it's relatively close to Canada, are there any jobs that deal in translating or anything to do with French? Thanks for your help!

Elaina
Elaina, I have only visited Colville once, but we had done a fair amount of research on the area to choose it for a visit. Others will be better equipped to tell you more about employment, but I would say it is slim. Manufacturing, Mill, health care, and Government (local) seem to be the jobs. We have a top notch realtor who answers all of our questions. We know it to be a quiet area and by the time we can get there, that is what we will be looking for. If the finances work out, we will work for benefits and basic household cash, but be mortgage free, BUT that is all "someday". Best of luck.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Hi neighbors and future neighbors! We live just across the Pend Oreille River in Idaho north of Priest River. If we hadn't found our own paradise here, we probably would've ended up near Colville or Kettle Falls. It's beautiful there and I love the atmosphere of the towns.
Small and Solar, we lived off-grid here for almost 7 years on solar power (just grid-tied 2 months ago) so if you have any off-grid questions, feel free to ask.
Do you have a website or a blog about that experience? How many people in the household? Gas/Propane?

I am sure I will be able to come up with quite a few questions.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington