Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,116 times

Advertisements

Norm Swanson seems like a guy who does good work. His two hotels on Genesee are strong additions to that neighborhood; this project would be a real asset to the north end of University Hill (if, that is, that 10-story addition is aesthetically pleasing. Infill development is usually a good thing; I don't have a ton of faith that local zoning officials care much about the long-term ramifications of ugly construction, especially after witnessing that Mistake on the Lake at Carousel Center. But an attractive tower with street-level retail and no exposed parking would be a real beacon on that side of the Hill).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Default 2009 Parade of Homes - Brittany Hills (Town of Onondaga)

Attached Thumbnails
Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0691.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0693.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0694.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0696.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0697.jpg  

Old 08-06-2009, 07:25 PM

Default Comfort Suites - Cicero

Attached Thumbnails
Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0708.jpg  

Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Holiday Inn Express - Widewaters Parkway (DeWitt)

Attached Thumbnails
Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0728.jpg  

Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
I have heard good things about Norm Swanson, he gets things done and on budget. Relatively speaking, he does not rely heavily on tax incentives that have made or broken other (nameless) projects (not just Destiny). However, incentives are the name of the game. You are quite right, the project will be a real asset to the north end of University Hill, it will tie in the East Genessee Street Corridor and points south along Crouse. It could also act as nexus to the convention center (and future OnCenter hotel), Civic Center, Everson, etc.

I really appreciate them and they are exciting to see. It is great to "see" things developing in CNY though I do not live in the area. I am thinking about returning though. With that said, I prefer the design of the Comfort Inn in Cicero over the Holiday Inn Express. I am curious though, how many homes are in the Brittany development and what are they going for? It is nice to see new developments coming out of the ground, but I am concerned about infill in the City of Syracuse.

It is my understanding that ther are some 1000 vacant homes in the City of Syracuse. It is also my understanding that many of those homes are being torn down with grant funding. Has there been any consideration to assembling those properties to buiild mixed-use or even single family housing developments in the City of Syracuse. I am not suggesting that they would be on par with Brittany, but it is time to shift the focue (a bit) to building housing in the City of Syracuse.

Reading on of the other forums, I have to agree that if the are is going to think regionally, it will need to plan regionally. I agree with many who propose a "comprehensive" or regional "visioning" plan preferably that is not specific in detail but provides a roadmap for the areas future and the direction it wants to go in. Sprawl with or without growth has to addressed with consensus.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:05 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
"I really appreciate them and they are exciting to see."

My apologies, I was referring to the pictures. Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I have heard good things about Norm Swanson, he gets things done and on budget. Relatively speaking, he does not rely heavily on tax incentives that have made or broken other (nameless) projects (not just Destiny). However, incentives are the name of the game. You are quite right, the project will be a real asset to the north end of University Hill, it will tie in the East Genessee Street Corridor and points south along Crouse. It could also act as nexus to the convention center (and future OnCenter hotel), Civic Center, Everson, etc.

I really appreciate them and they are exciting to see. It is great to "see" things developing in CNY though I do not live in the area. I am thinking about returning though. With that said, I prefer the design of the Comfort Inn in Cicero over the Holiday Inn Express. I am curious though, how many homes are in the Brittany development and what are they going for? It is nice to see new developments coming out of the ground, but I am concerned about infill in the City of Syracuse.

It is my understanding that ther are some 1000 vacant homes in the City of Syracuse. It is also my understanding that many of those homes are being torn down with grant funding. Has there been any consideration to assembling those properties to buiild mixed-use or even single family housing developments in the City of Syracuse. I am not suggesting that they would be on par with Brittany, but it is time to shift the focue (a bit) to building housing in the City of Syracuse.

Reading on of the other forums, I have to agree that if the are is going to think regionally, it will need to plan regionally. I agree with many who propose a "comprehensive" or regional "visioning" plan preferably that is not specific in detail but provides a roadmap for the areas future and the direction it wants to go in. Sprawl with or without growth has to addressed with consensus.
Great points. I think the dearth of new market rate, single-family housing developments in the city can be attributed to a lack of available land in desirable neighborhoods. Since the majority of vacant housing slated to be demolished is located in impovershed, high crime neighborhoods on the south, southwest, near west and north sides, it would be next to impossible to attract middle and upper middle income households that would be willing to invest nearly $200,000 for a 1750 square foot home. Until these neighborhoods improve and perceptions on school quality at some quadrant schools change, the bulk of new housing in many areas will continue to be in the form of subsidized townhomes and duplexes in areas like Prospect Hill on the north side and scattered lots on the south side and near west neighborhoods.

The grant money is being used in part to renovate some properties and demolish others. Home Headquarters and Housing Visions are the two main conduits for these housing and neighborhood stabilization initiatives. These agencies which specialize in renovated/new owner occupant homes and reconditioned affordable rentals respectively seem to be doing an admirable job. It's a shame the Jewish War Veterans building at Genesee and Westcott cannot be resuscitated.

If the YES Syracuse program results in improved academic performance and causes a renewed interest in city living by middle class families, hopefully some sustainable and dense, single family housing can be developed in the city proper. A couple of years ago developer Bob Ducette purchased land in the SE University Area for a proposed "green" housing development featuring 1200-1800 SF, energy efficient homes.

Brookford Heights is the only recent development that comes to mind within Syracuse. Located on the upper portion of Brookford Road and Woodside Drive in Bradford Hills, this enclave was developed a couple of years ago on vacant land purchased from the adjacent church retreat. Walker Custom Homes was the exclusive builder. Although the development is suburban in nature, it further diversifies the city's housing stock and offers newer construction in this sought after East Side neighborhood. While I personally prefer newer homes or historic homes with modern interiors, the city must encourage and in some cases mandate the preservation of historic properties so entire blocks in highly desirable neighborhoods such as those on the far east side will not be torn down and replaced with properties that are non conforming. An ideal situation would be demolishing lower income and crime infested apartment complexes that border nicer city neighborhoods. A prime example is a now vacant apartment building on the edge of Strathmore that is owned by the financially troubled Elijay Management, a slumlord spinoff with connections to Longley Jones. Elijay's property on Stolp Avenue and several others scattered throughout the city are slated to be auctioned on August 25, per a listing in the Wall Street Journal. Instead of letting this property be redeveloped into more low income housing, the city should create market rate townhomes similiar to the project on Burnet Park Drive in Tipperary Hill. There were several reports a while back stating that any purchaser of this portfolio must continue to provide low income housing, per HUD guidelines. I do recall the city wanted to encourage a market rate housing scenario for the Stolp Ave property due its proximity to Strathmore.

To answer your question on Brittany Hills, the price points vary greaty and are determined by the square footage, age, and views from the properties. Homes generally start at $200,000 for a 1,900 SF, 1990 built colonial in the older section of the development. Most of the homes generally sell between $250,000 and $325,000. There is a section of larger homes built in the mid 1990s that probably go for $350,000 to just under $400,000. The newer section of Brittany Hills (not to be confused with the Parade of Homes site) called the "View" was developed in 2000 with the last home built around 2007. Most residences on this hillside are between 3,500 and 5,000 SF with a couple approaching 8,000 SF. Prices are mostly in the high 400s to 800s. It's important to note that the "View" only represents a small section of the development. The price points of the Parade of Homes models depicted in the photos I believe start in the low 300s and top off at around $450,000.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:15 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Great points. I think the dearth of new market rate, single-family housing developments in the city can be attributed to a lack of available land in desirable neighborhoods. Since the majority of vacant housing slated to be demolished is located in impovershed, high crime neighborhoods on the south, southwest, near west and north sides, it would be next to impossible to attract middle and upper middle income households that would be willing to invest nearly $200,000 for a 1750 square foot home. Until these neighborhoods improve and perceptions on school quality at some quadrant schools change, the bulk of new housing in many areas will continue to be in the form of subsidized townhomes and duplexes in areas like Prospect Hill on the north side and scattered lots on the south side and near west neighborhoods.

The grant money is being used in part to renovate some properties and demolish others. Home Headquarters and Housing Visions are the two main conduits for these housing and neighborhood stabilization initiatives. These agencies which specialize in renovated/new owner occupant homes and reconditioned affordable rentals respectively seem to be doing an admirable job. It's a shame the Jewish War Veterans building at Genesee and Westcott cannot be resuscitated.

If the YES Syracuse program results in improved academic performance and causes a renewed interest in city living by middle class families, hopefully some sustainable and dense, single family housing can be developed in the city proper. A couple of years ago developer Bob Ducette purchased land in the SE University Area for a proposed "green" housing development featuring 1200-1800 SF, energy efficient homes.

Brookford Heights is the only recent development that comes to mind within Syracuse. Located on the upper portion of Brookford Road and Woodside Drive in Bradford Hills, this enclave was developed a couple of years ago on vacant land purchased from the adjacent church retreat. Walker Custom Homes was the exclusive builder. Although the development is suburban in nature, it further diversifies the city's housing stock and offers newer construction in this sought after East Side neighborhood. While I personally prefer newer homes or historic homes with modern interiors, the city must encourage and in some cases mandate the preservation of historic properties so entire blocks in highly desirable neighborhoods such as those on the far east side will not be torn down and replaced with properties that are non conforming. An ideal situation would be demolishing lower income and crime infested apartment complexes that border nicer city neighborhoods. A prime example is a now vacant apartment building on the edge of Strathmore that is owned by the financially troubled Elijay Management, a slumlord spinoff with connections to Longley Jones. Elijay's property on Stolp Avenue and several others scattered throughout the city are slated to be auctioned on August 25, per a listing in the Wall Street Journal. Instead of letting this property be redeveloped into more low income housing, the city should create market rate townhomes similiar to the project on Burnet Park Drive in Tipperary Hill. There were several reports a while back stating that any purchaser of this portfolio must continue to provide low income housing, per HUD guidelines. I do recall the city wanted to encourage a market rate housing scenario for the Stolp Ave property due its proximity to Strathmore.

To answer your question on Brittany Hills, the price points vary greaty and are determined by the square footage, age, and views from the properties. Homes generally start at $200,000 for a 1,900 SF, 1990 built colonial in the older section of the development. Most of the homes generally sell between $250,000 and $325,000. There is a section of larger homes built in the mid 1990s that probably go for $350,000 to just under $400,000. The newer section of Brittany Hills (not to be confused with the Parade of Homes site) called the "View" was developed in 2000 with the last home built around 2007. Most residences on this hillside are between 3,500 and 5,000 SF with a couple approaching 8,000 SF. Prices are mostly in the high 400s to 800s. It's important to note that the "View" only represents a small section of the development. The price points of the Parade of Homes models depicted in the photos I believe start in the low 300s and top off at around $450,000.
I agree that the apartments on Stolp others similar to them would be great for more of a mixed income set up instead of being strictly for lower income folks. I think that seems to be the new thing in housing anyway and considering the proximity to Strathmore, that would make more sense.

I also think that buildings like the Otisca building on Butternut could be used for mixed use or income housing with it's proximity to Little Italy and St. Joe's. I think the Snowdon would be great if they could find a way to move the people in that building, which is a gem.

Then, a move to better landscaping and lighting in neighborhoods where it is lacking could go a long way in making them more pleasing to the eye and give a sense of safety which could be lacking due to a lack of proper lighting.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Very encouraging news for residents of the Salt Springs area...

The rundown shopping plaza at the corner of Audubon Parkway and salt Springs road - across from the Soule Branch library - has been either acquired or leased by Lemoyne College and will become the new college bookstore. Among the features will be a pizza/deli space.... a food court with table and seating.... and in the sort of half round endspace facing the beginning of Audubon (there was a barber shop in there most recently) will be a coffee/espresso bar operated by a local independent coffeehouse operator. That is GREAT news for the neighborhood.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:08 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Very encouraging news for residents of the Salt Springs area...

The rundown shopping plaza at the corner of Audubon Parkway and salt Springs road - across from the Soule Branch library - has been either acquired or leased by Lemoyne College and will become the new college bookstore. Among the features will be a pizza/deli space.... a food court with table and seating.... and in the sort of half round endspace facing the beginning of Audubon (there was a barber shop in there most recently) will be a coffee/espresso bar operated by a local independent coffeehouse operator. That is GREAT news for the neighborhood.
Finally something nice is going into that little plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area