Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Ah, I see; I guess I misremembered the cross street. Google maps shows a right-of-way between those two parcels; hopefully it's a bit more walkable and urban than the current Boulevard lay-out. Nice to see infill, but I'd hate to think Hilton is just throwing up a generic mid-rate property for people who want to drive down the Boulevard for all their dining and shopping. Wonder if it's Dewitt or Syracuse; pretty close to the line.
According to the county GIS, on that side of Erie Blvd the city line runs down the middle of Thompson Road - so this particular development is in the city (as is everything up to the Brueggers on the corner). It'll be a good thing, hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Thanks for all the great photos!!! Good to see things are moving alone considering the global ecnomic mess. Could someone post a photo of the proposed Hampton Inn (at Erie and Midler) mentioned above? I really would appreciate it. I was heartened to read that area is the focus of some infill, I believe that is the loaction of the recently completed Lowes. The additoin of a hotel is very exciting and will make for a positive approach into downtown.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Thanks for all the great photos!!! Good to see things are moving alone considering the global ecnomic mess. Could someone post a photo of the proposed Hampton Inn (at Erie and Midler) mentioned above? I really would appreciate it. I was heartened to read that area is the focus of some infill, I believe that is the loaction of the recently completed Lowes. The additoin of a hotel is very exciting and will make for a positive approach into downtown.
It's a bit further along than "proposed" - it's nearly finished, from the looks of it. It backs up pretty much against 690 right near the Thompson ramps. (Sorry, don't have any pictures though)

It's near the Lowes in a relative sense, but there's about a half mile or so between them.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
I *just* passed there today, actually. Darn! I could have taken pics for you... I will next time, for sure.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
No problem proulxfamily, if you have a chance. It is good to know that a Hampton Inn is nearing completion at that location. Acknight mentioned that the Hampton Inn was closer to Thompson than Midler as mentioned above by Cleveland Park. I think Cleveland Park also mentioned that there is a Holiday Inn Express underway on Bridge Street? I am assuming that is the hotel underway in Widewaters Plaza in Dewitt (seen above)? It is my understanding that two new hotels are also underway near Gander Mountain in Cicero, a Comfort Inn (I believe it is complete) and a Holiday Inn Express (under construction). Wow, it is good to see a hotel building boom in and around Syracuse. Cool!!

I really would love to see the proposed Marriott hotel development in Armory Square and the OnCenter Hotel get underway. I know both are far more complicated developments and are impacted by the financial crisis. I believe they are sorely needed to support the impact of other developments downtown and the University Hill area, i.e. Center of Excellence, CNY Biotechnology Research Center, O'Brian and Gere HQ, Armory Square/Franklin Square developments, etc.

PS: Ack - I promise I will not get into my diatribe about Driscoll and the Oncenter this time!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
I'm planning to open a 4' doorway in a load bearing wall tomorrow so a run to Lowe's will most definitely be in order... and I need to stop at Aldi's. I'll get pics of Lowe's and the both the new construction buildings over there then.

And until then, I *did* get a pic of the new Beacon Federal Credit Union (between Aldi's and Rico's Ristorante and across from the Walmart/Romano Toyota/Basil Rowe intersection) yesterday.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5373_250922775696_543140696_7837235_2011239_n.jpg (broken link)

So- SOMETHING is going on still, here in Syracuse.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,116 times
Syracuse construction question: not a ton of news out there regarding the CNY Biotech Research Center; will the original street grid be restored through the old Kennedy Square property? While the Center could be a boon to the local economy, I'd hate to see the local "planners" allow an outdated superblock be replaced by...an outdated superblock. Irving should run through to Erie; even more key, Washington shouldn't be cut off for two blocks.

Anything that chops up the street grid a.) makes the city more confusing for newcomers to navigate, and b.) puts undo stress on parallel streets and increases maintenance costs, increases pressure to widen those streets, and diminishes the walkability of the neighborhood. I'd argue that the goofy disjointed character of Madison, Washington, Montgomery, Cedar, and McBride (and their streets-on-steroids counterparts on Adams, Almond, and Harrison) is almost as detrimental to the center city experience as is the presence of the I-81 viaduct.

Hopefully new investment at Kennedy Square does not repeat this urban planning failure.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Syracuse construction question: not a ton of news out there regarding the CNY Biotech Research Center; will the original street grid be restored through the old Kennedy Square property? While the Center could be a boon to the local economy, I'd hate to see the local "planners" allow an outdated superblock be replaced by...an outdated superblock. Irving should run through to Erie; even more key, Washington shouldn't be cut off for two blocks.

Anything that chops up the street grid a.) makes the city more confusing for newcomers to navigate, and b.) puts undo stress on parallel streets and increases maintenance costs, increases pressure to widen those streets, and diminishes the walkability of the neighborhood. I'd argue that the goofy disjointed character of Madison, Washington, Montgomery, Cedar, and McBride (and their streets-on-steroids counterparts on Adams, Almond, and Harrison) is almost as detrimental to the center city experience as is the presence of the I-81 viaduct.

Hopefully new investment at Kennedy Square does not repeat this urban planning failure.
The actual Biotech facility is only to occupy a small chunk of the complex land - 4 acres of 14. Since they're still seeking proposals as to what to do with the other chunks, it's a good question as to whether or not they will "fix the grid."

Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
No problem proulxfamily, if you have a chance. It is good to know that a Hampton Inn is nearing completion at that location. Acknight mentioned that the Hampton Inn was closer to Thompson than Midler as mentioned above by Cleveland Park. I think Cleveland Park also mentioned that there is a Holiday Inn Express underway on Bridge Street? I am assuming that is the hotel underway in Widewaters Plaza in Dewitt (seen above)? It is my understanding that two new hotels are also underway near Gander Mountain in Cicero, a Comfort Inn (I believe it is complete) and a Holiday Inn Express (under construction). Wow, it is good to see a hotel building boom in and around Syracuse. Cool!!

PS: Ack - I promise I will not get into my diatribe about Driscoll and the Oncenter this time!
If the Holiday Inn Express to which you refer is the one off Bridge Street in East Syracuse, that has opened.

And good ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area