Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,138 times

Advertisements

I'm new to cuse and I have minimal knowledge to the city. But to me it seems that there should have been more great old historical buildings around the area. Where did they all go?? What is the awareness of preserving old buildings like here??
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
I'm new to cuse and I have minimal knowledge to the city. But to me it seems that there should have been more great old historical buildings around the area. Where did they all go?? What is the awareness of preserving old buildings like here??
Huh?? And where, exactly, is "like here"? You are IN Syracuse now, right? Where's "here?"

There are historic buildings everywhere! Here are four pages of listings (and hyperlinks to pictures of them) to get you started... Downtown Syracuse

eta: More information- http://www.syracuse.ny.us/Historic_Syracuse.aspx

CONCLUSION
The City of Syracuse contains an impressive collection of buildings representative of its dynamic growth from two small crossroad villages into an important urban area. Many of these structures still stand as originally designed, and are in use today. Others have undergone rehabilitation and are being used for new purposes. From high-style designs to small dwellings, this wide variety of extant buildings constitutes an important connection between the people who first used these buildings, and those who walk through their doors today.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 10-30-2010 at 06:45 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Huh?? And where, exactly, is "like here"? You are IN Syracuse now, right? Where's "here?"

There are historic buildings everywhere! Here are four pages of listings (and hyperlinks to pictures of them) to get you started... Downtown Syracuse

eta: More information- City of Syracuse

CONCLUSION
The City of Syracuse contains an impressive collection of buildings representative of its dynamic growth from two small crossroad villages into an important urban area. Many of these structures still stand as originally designed, and are in use today. Others have undergone rehabilitation and are being used for new purposes. From high-style designs to small dwellings, this wide variety of extant buildings constitutes an important connection between the people who first used these buildings, and those who walk through their doors today.
I agree..While there has been some buildings that fell victim to Urban Renewal, which was the case in all cities, there are plenty of old, historic buildings in and outside of the city that are in use today. Clinton Square, Hanover Square, Strathmore, Sedgwick. Scottholm, Little Italy/North Salina St., Syracuse University, Columbus Circle, East Genesee St., Park Ave. and James St. have historic buildings and homes within the city. Villages like Fayetteville, Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Camillus, Manlius, Skaneateles, Jordan and Elbridge have historic districts and/or buildings as well. Many communities in the surrounding counties have plenty of historic buildings in use as well.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM

97 posts, read 261,506 times
Default Marshall Street & University Hill

According to 9wsyr, Chipotle may be coming to Marshall Street near the University possibly taking over the King David's restaurant. Chipotle hasn't confirmed this, but I guess there are serious talks going on.

What's in Store: New Chipotle on the grill? - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

If this happens, this would be great news for the University Hill district. Having locally owned restaurants & eateries is great, but having a mix of national chains as well will have a major impact on M Street as well. Carvel just recently opened on the Hill, which makes perfect sense for college students, although Coldstone was supposed to come to the hill many years ago but that fell through, but now theyre in the Upstate expansion w/ Tim Hortons, so I guess we got 2 ice cream chains as opposed to one. Still having Chipotle looking at the Hill is great as opposed to just having them open up in another suburb. It will be cool to see how they design the store in a more urban setting, and the location is great for students, professors, and people who come up from downtown to eat. Hopefully more can be done to attract more national retail to the Hill.

For example, The Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh is located right next to the University of Pitt, and is a has a small village feel, but has stores like Gap, Sephora, Banana Republic, Starbucks, etc. and even has an Apple Store. Can you imagine an Apple Store located right next to SU? In reality, all Upstate cities right now only have 1 Apple Store per city (each in a major mall). But the University would surely fuel a demand and I think another store would do well. Add in a couple other major names, and Marshall Street would be even better than it is now.

2 years ago SU announced it would build a new mixed-use building that would house the campus bookstore, apartments, and house retail at the ground floor. The architectural renderings were drawn for it, however there has yet to be any construction.

I hope SU hasn't dropped this project, it would do wonders for the Hill as far as aesthetics and compliment the area surrounding it.
Attached Thumbnails
Syracuse Construction Update-lrg_su-bookstore-20dorm-20sketch.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-lrg_su-20bookstore-20dorm.jpg  

Old 10-31-2010, 01:53 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,232 times
A Chipotle on the hill wouldn't be great; a Chipotle replacing King David would be extremely disappointing. One of the great perks of living in the city is the number of quality neighborhood eateries; chain take-out places are the antithesis of that. We don't want generic national retail to dominate these - leave that for the suburbs.

As for the new bookstore building, it is scheduled to break ground during the spring semester. Sorry I don't have a link for that one, but there was a blurb about it in the D.O. a couple weeks ago. I agree with you - that construction will be a big step forward in improving the aesthetics of that block of University Avenue.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,897 times
A Chipotle in downtown Chicago looks exactly like the Chipotle in Dewitt, except it's narrow and deep/long, instead of narrow and wide. Chains are chains, they're not supposed to be very different.

I'm not a big fan of businesses that keep SU students almost entirely on the hill... that's part of the problem. The stereotype is that they rarely leave it... I don't like the idea of encouraging that. :/

Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
A Chipotle in downtown Chicago looks exactly like the Chipotle in Dewitt, except it's narrow and deep/long, instead of narrow and wide. Chains are chains, they're not supposed to be very different.

I'm not a big fan of businesses that keep SU students almost entirely on the hill... that's part of the problem. The stereotype is that they rarely leave it... I don't like the idea of encouraging that. :/
Good point and I see this with students too. If Chipotle still wants the University crowd, but wants a location that seems to be more appropriate, why not look at one of the plazas on Nottingham Road? You can get the a mix of people from that part of the city, as well as those from DeWitt as well.

Something like a Jamaican restaurant would be cool on the hill. Maybe a SE Asian restaurant.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM

97 posts, read 261,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
A Chipotle on the hill wouldn't be great; a Chipotle replacing King David would be extremely disappointing. One of the great perks of living in the city is the number of quality neighborhood eateries; chain take-out places are the antithesis of that. We don't want generic national retail to dominate these - leave that for the suburbs.

As for the new bookstore building, it is scheduled to break ground during the spring semester. Sorry I don't have a link for that one, but there was a blurb about it in the D.O. a couple weeks ago. I agree with you - that construction will be a big step forward in improving the aesthetics of that block of University Avenue.
Thanks for the update on the SU dorm, I appreciate it. I did not know that the project was still on course and that is really exciting to hear!

As far as Chipotle, I definately see your point, however I guess I'm just excited that Downtown & Marshall street are getting attention from national retailers. I don't think getting Chipotle on the Hill will be a bad thing, however. No matter what, the owner of King David's sounds like he wants to cose. he says hes getting older and wants to retire, its cool to see that the space won't be vacant but will rather turnover quickly into a new restaurant.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,232 times
You are right on both of those counts - better a chain than a vacant storefront, and the owner can be forgiven for wanting to close. Still, with the possible exception of Starbucks, I see each chain eatery on the Hill (Pita Pit, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Jimmy John's) as something that does little, if anything, to improve the neighborhood.

As for Jamaican, the other University-area retail strip has a pretty good Caribbean place in Las Delicias. I agree that a similar place would be a good get for Marshall. Vietnamese would be good, too, though the neighborhood has other Asian cuisines pretty well covered - Appethaizing is a solid Thai place; though I haven't been to Panda West, most students seem to regard it as good enough; and the Korean place at the corner of South Crouse and Adams is said to be terrific. There's a good bubble tea place on that block, too, and two sushi places (one good, one less so) in the immediate neighborhood.

One quick note about the new bookstore building: at some point SU realized it was falling behind in the Great Fitness Center Arms Race - students and prospective students are unimpressed with the facilities, especially up at Archbold. So a new ~50,000-square-foot fitness center will occupy the northern end of the new building, and it will not contain any residential space. Some first-floor retail at the corner of Harrison and University, though.

While that's a little less exciting than apartments, I understand a similar parking-garage-wrapped-by-a-building is in the long-term plans for the spot directly across University from the new building (on the surface parking lots where Lehman Hall used to be). That building will likely include a residential component. It'll provide a great northern entryway to University Hill.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,462 times
I think the days of significantly lower airfares out of Rochester vs. Syracuse have been over for several years or more but the reputation is still there. I fly quite regularly for work and perhaps six to ten times per year for personal travel - as well as doing ongoing fare searches for future travel. Rochester is usually the same price, a few dollars more or a few dollars less. Not like it used to be.. when a destination like ATL might be $200 - $300 cheaper from Rochester than from Syracuse two weeks out from flight date. That said - I remain perturbed that with all the focus on airport renovation and expansion in Syracuse there is no discussion about expanding and improving the parking facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area