Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've always thought that an aquarium would be great in the Inner Harbor and if would be nice to develop some of the industrial buildings nearby as well. It could compliment Armory Square, the Near West Side, Carousel Center and Downtown due to having green space already there, potential for more housing and nightlife, as well as being family friendly. Proximity to I-690 and I-81 could allow for easy access for people outside of the city to get to. This seems like a more tangible idea than expanding Carousel Center, as you could attract visitors and later developers to the Inner Harbor and Franklin Square areas. That in turn could boost the Carousel Center, Downtown and possibly adjacent neighborhoods economically.
I agree with you ckhthankgod, an aquarium and further redevelopment of historically significant buildings would go a long way in extending the design integrity of Armory Square and Franklin Square (in particular).

My view has evolved away from a massive "Destiny" solution for the inner-harbor, though I do think that the current expansion at CCM should be completed (including the proposed "green" hotel). I also have no objection to Pyramid developing the water front along Onondaga Lake with condo's and a marina which was proposed at one point.

The area south of Hiawatha to Franklin Square should follow an urban village format (LEED standards) with boutique hotels, restaurants, offices, residential, acquarium, maybe some academic facilities, etc.

I would like to see something move forward soon, I hate looking at that big "horizontal void" between CCM and Franklin Square when I travel south on I-81. I guess the national economy and limited lending by financial institutions is delaying many projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 PM

97 posts, read 261,765 times
An Aquarium would completely change the Inner Harbor. Ive heard such an idea brought up in the Post-Standard, so hopefully that can be made into a reality. It would attract people from all over New York State, Pennsylvania, etc. The nearest one is in Niagara Falls, so Upstate could easily be served by another bigger, better, more central Aquarium. Add in a mix of local & national retailers and resturaunts and condos. I think the ampitheatre should be expanded to accomodate more people since more people will want visit. I think there should be space left over for recreation and the land should not be completely developed. It would become a major attraction for the area. And a mix of retail & recreation would greatly compliment Carousel Center & Franklin Square.

The streets surrounding the inner harbor (Solar Street) have been cleaned, renovated, and repaved, etc. Which is a good start, but the surrounding streets need the same attention. The area along Hiawatha Blvd is a mess, and its frustrating when you think of all the visitors that come to shop that drive on it. The water treatment plant needs to do more to keep from smelling up the lakefront, and Im not suggesting that the plant be moved, but it can surely be hidden. Planting a long row 50 foot trees infront of the entrance along Hiawatha would be a great way to keep tourists from seeing something like that in an area. With Carousel already a massive anchor for that section of the city, If you develop the Inner Hrabor, and clean up the area and spur surrounding development, then a fully developed Lakefront (with clean streets, outdoor retail, condos, green space, an aquarium, apitheatre, hotel space and whatever else can be thrown in...) has enormous potential to be the largest tourist attraction in Upstate New York....so Congel can take that. The massive exotic DistiNY may be gone, but a little bit of smart planning & ambition, as well as action by politicians, developers, and business owners would create an even better version of an economic driver on the lakefront that was once proposed.

The whole point of the Syracuse Lakefront Master Plan is to become an asset for the entire region. I believe time will be needed to make it the jewel it could be. Id rather have an empty lot now (but still full of potential) than a half-hearted development that was built in 2004 that has done nothing for the city. So I still remain optimistic as long as it takes.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,622,137 times
According to the Buffalo News, business, economic development and tourism officials in Western New York are pushing for an aquarium on the Buffalo waterfront in the wake of Bass Pro canceling its plans to build a superstore on the former AUD site. Due to Buffalo's relative proximity to Syracuse, an aquarium for the Salt City's inner harbor is probably out of the question. The state has already invested more than $100 million dollars in Buffalo's Erie Canal habor and currently has a pot of unspent money that was going to heavily subsidize Bass Pro's expansion into the Queen City. Since the Pataki Administration, New York State has been very aggressive in funding development efforts in Buffalo (ie. Bass Pro, Yahoo Data Center, Geico, $200 million Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics, SUNY Buffalo 2020 Plan, CitiGroup, Roswell Park Expansion, Verizon Data Center, downtown redevelopment efforts,etc) through record pre capita state funding and the location of Empire State Development's upstate headquarters. At the same time, the state has largely bypassed Syracuse for major initiatives. In the last decade, the state's only "major" investments in Syracuse are $25 million for the proposed Nanotech center at Electronics Parkway, $20 million for the long stalled biotech center, and $30 million for the Center of Excellence. These projects are all minor and in some cases dubious when compared with major initiativesthe state has spearheaded in Buffalo, Albany (Sematech, Global Foundries)and even Rochester.

Empire State Development has played a very active role in funding and supporting development on the Buffalo waterfront while in Syracuse, a far less influential state agency called the Canal Corp has consistently failed to stimulate development in Syracuse's inner harbor. With the Miner Administration's proposal to manage development efforts, it looks even more unlikely that Syracuse officials have clout or financial incentives to attract an aquarium. I also question Miner's ability and motives in taking over development of the inner harbor. Since taking office, I can't name one project related to economic development be it job creation or commercial development that Miner has played a pivotal role in attracting. Many of the stalled downtown projects now underway were brokered by the Driscoll Administration. Given Miner's focus on social justice, I wouldn't be surprised if she planned "mixed income" housing along the lakefront. I can see her using strong armed tactics with developers demanding that they accept section 8 vouchers. A very similiar agreement was forged by another hard left mayor in New Haven in order to facilitate a luxury highrise apartment project:
Subsidized units ready at 360 State in New Haven- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

I strongly support an aquarium and believe it has the best chance to transform this blighted stretch of land. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening due to the extreme favortism the state has toward Buffalo.

Here is the Buffalo News article:
Great Lakes aquarium urged for Aud site - City & Region - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article237792.ece - broken link)

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM

93,447 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
According to the Buffalo News, business, economic development and tourism officials in Western New York are pushing for an aquarium on the Buffalo waterfront in the wake of Bass Pro canceling its plans to build a superstore on the former AUD site. Due to Buffalo's relative proximity to Syracuse, an aquarium for the Salt City's inner harbor is probably out of the question. The state has already invested more than $100 million dollars in Buffalo's Erie Canal habor and currently has a pot of unspent money that was going to heavily subsidize Bass Pro's expansion into the Queen City. Since the Pataki Administration, New York State has been very aggressive in funding development efforts in Buffalo (ie. Bass Pro, Yahoo Data Center, Geico, $200 million Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics, SUNY Buffalo 2020 Plan, CitiGroup, Roswell Park Expansion, Verizon Data Center, downtown redevelopment efforts,etc) through record pre capita state funding and the location of Empire State Development's upstate headquarters. At the same time, the state has largely bypassed Syracuse for major initiatives. In the last decade, the state's only "major" investments in Syracuse are $25 million for the proposed Nanotech center at Electronics Parkway, $20 million for the long stalled biotech center, and $30 million for the Center of Excellence. These projects are all minor and in some cases dubious when compared with major initiativesthe state has spearheaded in Buffalo, Albany (Sematech, Global Foundries)and even Rochester.

Empire State Development has played a very active role in funding and supporting development on the Buffalo waterfront while in Syracuse, a far less influential state agency called the Canal Corp has consistently failed to stimulate development in Syracuse's inner harbor. With the Miner Administration's proposal to manage development efforts, it looks even more unlikely that Syracuse officials have clout or financial incentives to attract an aquarium. I also question Miner's ability and motives in taking over development of the inner harbor. Since taking office, I can't name one project related to economic development be it job creation or commercial development that Miner has played a pivotal role in attracting. Many of the stalled downtown projects now underway were brokered by the Driscoll Administration. Given Miner's focus on social justice, I wouldn't be surprised if she planned "mixed income" housing along the lakefront. I can see her using strong armed tactics with developers demanding that they accept section 8 vouchers. A very similiar agreement was forged by another hard left mayor in New Haven in order to facilitate a luxury highrise apartment project:
Subsidized units ready at 360 State in New Haven- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

I strongly support an aquarium and believe it has the best chance to transform this blighted stretch of land. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening due to the extreme favortism the state has toward Buffalo.

Here is the Buffalo News article:
Great Lakes aquarium urged for Aud site - City & Region - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article237792.ece - broken link)
That's why I feel private investment is key for something like that to occur here in Syracuse. You could also go with the Green idea, by making some of the nearby abandoned factories and warehouses into LEED type of hotels. That in turn would show that the city is really looking to be more "green" in terms of investments.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 AM

Default Aspen Dental Expansion

DeWitt Firm to Add 126 Jobs in $7.3 Million Expansion Project

Aspen Dental, one of the fastest growing Syracuse-based companies will double the size of its headquarters facility in East Syracuse. In recent years, the company has aggressively expanded its network of dental offices which now number 265 in 21 states. With current plans to open an additional 55 offices a year, the company will add 126 jobs at its suburban Syracuse headquarters near Carrier Circle in the town of DeWitt. Local developer Pempco Properties will construct a 47,000 sf building on 3 acres across the street from Aspen's current headquarters facility and lease it to the company.. Aspen's new offices at 6600 Weighlock Drive will join a relatively new Alliance Bank branch, the Weighlock Cafe (formerly Starbucks) and the Springhill Suites hotel which opened less than 1 year ago.

The developer of the project is requesting a sales tax exemption from the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency.
Aspen Dental planning $7.26 million expansion in DeWitt | syracuse.com

Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM

93,447 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
DeWitt Firm to Add 126 Jobs in $7.3 Million Expansion Project

Aspen Dental, one of the fastest growing Syracuse-based companies will double the size of its headquarters facility in East Syracuse. In recent years, the company has aggressively expanded its network of dental offices which now number 265 in 21 states. With current plans to open an additional 55 offices a year, the company will add 126 jobs at its suburban Syracuse headquarters near Carrier Circle in the town of DeWitt. Local developer Pempco Properties will construct a 47,000 sf building on 3 acres across the street from Aspen's current headquarters facility and lease it to the company.. Aspen's new offices at 6600 Weighlock Drive will join a relatively new Alliance Bank branch, the Weighlock Cafe (formerly Starbucks) and the Springhill Suites hotel which opened less than 1 year ago.

The developer of the project is requesting a sales tax exemption from the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency.
Aspen Dental planning $7.26 million expansion in DeWitt | syracuse.com
I was wondering what was going on in that area. Good to know that it is being used to help expand an existing business/company and it will add jobs.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's why I feel private investment is key for something like that to occur here in Syracuse. You could also go with the Green idea, by making some of the nearby abandoned factories and warehouses into LEED type of hotels. That in turn would show that the city is really looking to be more "green" in terms of investments.
I agree private investment is essential, however in struggling communities like this one, public-private partnerships are the norm as developers and companies have come to expect incentives from state and local governments. If these incentives are not provided, the project will not happen here, plain and simple. Demanding new development or redevelopment projects incorporate LEED standards will work in places like Boston or New York, where companies are dying to do business or expand their development portfolio. In the rustbelt, such stipulations will be deal killers. Perhaps this is what Mayor Miner wants in order to flaunt her street cred in the "green movement." Onondaga County's Industrial Development Agency (IDA) now offers incentives to companies that incorporate green components in their expansion or development projects. This practice I entirely support.

I still believe Syracuse missed a golden opportunity to cultivate a life sciences industry. Instead of investing in biotechnology, state and local leaders pinned all hopes on green energy systems. After nearly a decade of discussion and years of construction delays, the much touted Center of Excellence is half empty and shedding $200,000 worth of Finnish-designed exterior building panels that were defective. This whole project has been a complete embarassment. Meanwhile, the state just awarded another $4 million to aid startup companies in Buffalo's 120 acre Medical Corridor. Since 2000, New York state has invested more than $100 million in the Medical Corridor which is now home to more than 20 early stage life sciences companies and 8,000 employees.

Hopefully the Syracuse COE will be successful, however major visits by Obama Administration officials like Carole Browner and Steve Chu and press conferences staged by the effeminate Dan Maffei will mean nothing once the new congress moves in. Like it or not, cap and trade legislation and other controversial provisions that may have elevated the Syracuse COE and green efforts are now stymied. Any way you slice it, this is not good news for an industry thought to be Syracuse's salvation.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 11-11-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I agree private investment is essential, however in struggling communities like this one, public-private partnerships are the norm as developers and companies have come to expect incentives from state and local governments. If these incentives are not provided, the project will not happen here, plain and simple. Demanding new development or redevelopment projects incorporate LEED standards will work in places like Boston or New York, where companies are dying to do business or expand their development portfolio. In the rustbelt, such stipulations will be deal killers. Perhaps this is what Mayor Miner wants in order to flaunt her street cred in the "green movement." Onondaga County's Industrial Development Agency (IDA) now offers incentives to companies that incorporate green components in their expansion or development projects. This practice I entirely support.

I still believe Syracuse missed a golden opportunity to cultivate a life sciences industry. Instead of investing in biotechnology, state and local leaders pinned all hopes on green energy systems. After nearly a decade of discussion and years of construction delays, the much touted Center of Excellence is half empty and shedding $200,000 worth of Finnish-designed exterior building panels that were defective. This whole project has been a complete embarassment. Meanwhile, the state just awarded another $4 million to aid startup companies in Buffalo's 120 acre Medical Corridor. Since 2000, New York state has invested more than $100 million in the Medical Corridor which is now home to more than 20 early stage life sciences companies and 8,000 employees.

Hopefully the Syracuse COE will be successful, however major visits by Obama Administration officials like Carole Browner and Steve Chu and press conferences staged by the effeminate Dan Maffei will mean nothing once the new congress moves in. Like it or not, cap and trade legislation and other controversial provisions that may have elevated the Syracuse COE and green efforts are now stymied. Any way you slice it, this is not good news for an industry thought to be Syracuse's salvation.
Interesting post RR, where did you get the info. on the Center of Excellence? i.e. half empty and shedding $200,000 worth of Finnis-designed exterior building panels. Just curious, thanks.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 11-13-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney to co-chair Governor-elect Andrew Cuomo's transition team | syracuse.com

Onondaga CE, Joanie Mahoney will co-chair Gov.- Elect Cuomo's transition team. I applaud Joanie's courage for crossing party line, but considering the alternative (Paladino) it was a not brainer. I am encouraged by Gov. Elect Cuomo's committment to address the unfunded mandate issue that directly affects local property taxes. Joanie's appointment and her passion on the issue is very encouraging that unfunded mandates will be reversed (I'll believe it when I see it however). In any event, I am struck on how well represented CNY is represented on the team. In addition Joanie Mahoney, there is Patrick Barret of Manlius and former NYS GOP Chair, Syracuse Common Council President Van Robinson and Robert Simpson, Syracuse-based Centerstate Corporation for Economic Development (fomer Syracuse Chamber of Commerce/MDA).

On a side note, keep Robert Simpson in your radar. He is up and coming and would make a great Mayor or County Executive, maybe Congress. He is exactly what Syracuse needs!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 11-13-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 11-14-2010, 11:37 AM

97 posts, read 261,765 times
News broke today about Lockeed Martin and Sensis competeing for a government radar contract worth billions of dollars and will creat hundred of jobs (I wish it were a little more specific with a number). Either way no matter who gets the ontract, CNY wins, equally hundreds of well paying jobs that will undoubtedly bring professionals and their families in from around the country to work in Onondaga County.
Sprightly Sensis takes on mighty Lockheed Martin for billion-dollar radar deal | syracuse.com

RollsRoyce's earlier post about Buffalo's new research industry and a possible missed opportunity for Syracuse was a very interesting one, and raises some legitamate concerns. However, todays news is is great for Syracuse. The technology firms and companies here are a major advantage we have over Buffalo. No other city in Upstate has the amount of companies like that here (Sensis, Lockeed, SRC), etc., which creates a new opportunity for us.
I am currently a student at the University of Buffalo, which is the main economic driver to the medical research that is happening in Buffalo. UB was able to establish new research incubators and grow firms which has led to much success. And while Buffalo may be a step or 2 ahead of us, I believe Syracuse has the opportunity to catch up and do the same. UB's 2020 plan helped create a research boom currently happening in Buffalo. Here in CNY, Upstate Medical is in the midst of their own "UB2020" plan, planning to increase enrollment by 30% (around 600 new students), new faculty, new buildings and construction, etc. This plan is just getting underway which could open up enormous possiblities for this city like it has in Western NY. The Biotechnology Research Building with Upstate & ESF is a big part of this, and will hopefully grow new medical technology businesses. The Center of Excellence still in my opinion has enormous potential to develop new advancements in green technology, especially with ESF growing bigger and getting more involved. I think more time is needed to fill the buulding with new contracts and people to use the lab, which is state-of-the-art, and I'm sure will attract companies like Carrier (who works in there now) with time. Oh, and the faulty panel situation with the building does kinda suck, but Im just thankful it only cost $200,000 to fix and not more. The Syracuse Technology Garden downtown also deserves credit, it is greatly helping new start up businesses that may one day be major employers here locally.

Couple this recent news with everything else, (Aspen Dental, the Lockeed Martin Nanotechnology Center in Electronics Parkway, Haledyne LLC (which is relocating from Cleveland to the Tech Garden), Tessy Plastics recent growth, the Reva Car factory, etc.) Syracuse and this entire region has several good things headed our way as far as new jobs and economic development that will greatly spur new growth.

Is anyone else besides me excited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area